Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Helium 18m-Light Wind Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Helium 18m-Light Wind Kite

Postby Faxie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:36 pm

Hansen Design wrote:Hello Plummet:
You should not write anything that requires correcting - especially about people. It reflects poorly on you and your credibility. And, now you personally owe them a sincere apology. Not a third party internet forum correction.

FYI, I began kiting in 1999/2000 in Sri Lanka while working for Slingshot developing the B-Series foils. Also FYI, I earned a pilot's license at the minimum age. Studied Physics in University and Graduate School. Have numerous Season and Singlehanded Championships yacht racing on San Francisco Bay in a variety of boats. Started and ran a windsurf sail company for over 20 years and competed professionally in speed sailing, slalom and course racing. Designed competition kites for Lou Wainman and Flash Austin and many others including now Felix and Marc Jacobs. It is a supreme honor working with such highly skilled athletes. I've spent my life as a passionate designer, builder and operator of things that sail and fly. They say "If you do what you love long enough someone will pay you to do it." I'm happy to say it is true and feel genuinely blessed to work with the Switch team in Hawaiii and New Zealand.

Sad to think I have to waste my time answering your BS when I have so many cool and interesting new designs to work on.

My father once told me "It is what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Word :thumb:
High-Aspect-Test2.jpg
:thumb: :rollgrin:

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the run down of your bio as it was a very interesting read. I vaguely had an idea to some of your credentials but that is impressive! It's unfortunate that individuals will have preconceived notions and try to represent them as facts. The Helium looks impressive and I hope that there will be a 15m version in the near future as well (I do believe that I seen a mention of this on the Switch forums).

James

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Seriously Guys,

Have you ever watched Bill Hansen Video on Switch Kites website ? You clearly can understand that he knows perfectly what he is doing and that designing a kite for him is science that he master.

I recently sold a Quiver of 2014 Naish Kites for NITRO 4 - 8 / 10 / 12

I kite since 1998 and my level is fairly good now and i can tell you that those kites are better build than my Naish and flying performance are perfect.

Price wise switch kites are cheaper, if you remove the margin of a shop and distributor their price make sense. As well i can tell you living abroad where there is no shop 1000 km around where i live if you try to get spare part or help from Naish it's going to take you a few weeks at best or few month at worse...

I rather rely on a brand that sells direct and who could ship me spare part or repair my kite directly without wasting time with a middle man.

Cheers

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Hansen Design wrote:Hello Plummet:...Word :thumb:
I guess that puts that to bed! Thanks Bill.

I would love to compare to the OR Flight 17...but I don't live close to a demo rider. Bummer :-?

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Live to kite, What has this got to do with The Helium.Obviously there are a few Switch kite bashes on this forum.

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.

Postby Living2Kite » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 pm

gibsonandpickett wrote:Live to kite, What has this got to do with The Helium.Obviously there are a few Switch kite bashes on this forum.
Who are you? How do you know so much about Bill Hansen?

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 pm

I know nothing of bill, I know Ralph from flying eclipse kite!

mbuckley
Rare Poster
Gear: 7m Liquid Force Envy. 6' surfboard

Postby mbuckley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 am

Here is an interview lesfoilz.com did with Bill Hansen in 2012. Interesting read.
http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=817

KAWIKA
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Switch don't get payed by Switch luv the kites & price

Postby KAWIKA » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:49 am

Plummet try a Nitro 4 before you Bash Switch
I ride at a spot where all brands are represented & Nitro4 will out perform most major brands at a recent demo I was the only kite upwind the pro rider said the current was to strong lol
I ride with all the so called top lightwind kites on a V2 Method 13 not to mention when the wind turns offshore I'm still the only one still riding :thumb:
I will have a Helium 18 this summer for demo in FL in less Switch would like to send me one so I can go to Cocoa Beach & Panama City & put some rumors to the test I'm almost sure I will have a lot of solo sessions on this kite without buying a 2K foil board or a big dumb TT :thumb:

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 am

KAWIKA wrote:Plummet try a Nitro 4 before you Bash Switch
I ride at a spot where all brands are represented & Nitro4 will out perform most major brands at a recent demo I was the only kite upwind the pro rider said the current was to strong lol
I ride with all the so called top lightwind kites on a V2 Method 13 not to mention when the wind turns offshore I'm still the only one still riding :thumb:
I will have a Helium 18 this summer for demo in FL in less Switch would like to send me one so I can go to Cocoa Beach & Panama City & put some rumors to the test I'm almost sure I will have a lot of solo sessions on this kite without buying a 2K foil board or a big dumb TT :thumb:
Don't go to Panama City - go to Ft. Walton Beach. That is where XLKites is that did the Average Joe light wind review. I will be happy to ride the Helium 18 to compare when you come up to Ft. Walton Beach. I bet all of us light wind Joes would like to actually. I have a feeling my OR Flite 17 will come out on top, but the kite will get an honest review. I want to fly a 12m Nitro4 too. Can you bring up one of those when you come?

Return to “Kitesurfing”