Rare Poster
Local Beach: Key Biscayne
Gear: Cabrinha / North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Rebel 11 2014 slow and hard bar presure vs Cabrinha

Postby Emilferro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:30 am

Hi, can anyone help recomending the right kite. I've longly used Switchblade and last year bought a Rebel 11MTRS 2014 expecting was going to be faster than SB11mtrs 2012 (That i replaced with) and was the same but with a much harder bar presure.
On past years ive been enjoing more and more using my SB 8Mtrs and was willing to understand whats the limit on size to get a fast kite with very good depower and soft presure to complement the SB8.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: North Rebel 11 2014 slow and hard bar presure vs Cabrinh

Postby experienced1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 am

The 2014 Cabrinha SB is faster, same power and lighter bar pressure than the 2012 SBs. The SB was redesigned in 2013 to make it faster with less bar pressure, but it lost a bit of the low end. The 2014 the SB retained the improved speed and lighter bar pressure of the 2013 but with low end power of the 2012s.
steve

Emilferro
Rare Poster

Postby Emilferro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:48 am

Thanks. And what about the 2015 SB ? Would the 10 mtrs be significantly faster than 11 and close to 8M 2012? I priorize that the kite flyes as i want over being able to kite when theres less wind (I can grab a surfboard for those days)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 am

Sounds like something is wrong with your Rebel! Bar pressure should definitely not be heavier than switchblade. Have you checked the fifth line tension? You might have the fifth line adjusted too short. Short fifth line causes excessive bar pressure.

It seems like every year the Switchblade is said to be "now faster with lighter bar pressure", but after trying multiple model years, it still feels slow with heavy bar pressure to me. All personal preference though. It's one of the most popular kites of all time. If that's what you like, stick with it.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:53 am

I bet it's back lines too short or 5th line too short / too long. Rebel is a dream to fly...

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Maybe you are already aware of this, but I'd like to point out that neither Switchblades nor Rebels are known for being fast or for having low bar pressure. Asking which of these kites are faster and have low bar pressure, is a bit like asking "Harley Softail or Indian Chief, which one is faster and more nimble on the race track?" Although there is a valid answer to that question, the real answer, of course, is that if "fast" and "nimble" is what you want, then you are looking at the wrong type of motorbike. Similarly, if you are looking for a fast kite with low bar pressure, neither Switchblade nor Rebel really fall into that category of kites. There are many kites out there which are significantly faster and with much lower bar pressure. That is not to say that the Rebels or Switchblades are bad kites - they are fine kites for what they are designed to do, but agility and low bar pressure isn't what characterizes those two kites.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:54 pm

I have heard this before but I'm not sure how a longer 5th causes heavy bar pressure.
I thought it was to just support the LE.

If the 5th is too short I can see the load bypassing the lower Y and going to the tips (steering lines) causing more.

If the 5th is too long I still see the loads hitting the lower Y and not loading completely on the tips.

From what I understand the 5th is only 'slightly loaded' - but any 5th above the Y I have seen on many rebels in the air is pretty loaded...or at least tensioned.

I did some experimenting in light wind with the 5th and made a pig tail about 6 inches long with multiple knots.
I kept paying the 5th out at the above the Y connection (kite bridle).
At every setting the 5th remained tensioned....and it seemed to fly the same and bar pressure remained the same.

Emilferro
Rare Poster

Postby Emilferro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 pm

But if the 5th line its to short it should at least be fast, and its not.
Question: what would be the limit on size to get a fast kite as enjoyable to flight as the SB8 ? I remember reading some time ago that 6-9 or 10 are similar and 10 or 11 and larger more on the same style

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Saami wrote:neither Switchblades nor Rebels are known for being fast or for having low bar pressure.
I agree, Rebel is not the fastest kite, but I think it's way faster than the switchblade.

I'd call the Rebel bar pressure average, no where near as much as the Switchblades. It's funny, you wouldn't think that bar pressure would be so subjective, but it seems like no one can agree even on that! In this post from a while back asking for light bar pressure kites, a few people recommended the Rebel. However, others recommended the Rally which I think had really heavy bar pressure! Who knows... :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384466

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:45 am

Emilferro;
The 2015 SB is basically the same as the 2014. I mentioned the 2014, as the 2015s are available so you ought to be able to get a really good deal on the 2014.

Don't know how much you weigh, but my recommendations on kite sizes usually leans towards a 2m gap in sizes below 10/11, except for larger riders when they can get away with a three meter gap. I prefer to have an overlap between sizes rather than having a gap.

Is the 10m significantly faster than the 11? In my opinion, no. If you R 185lbs (85kg) I normally would recommend the 8/10 especially if you have a directional to use if it gets lighter.

steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”