North Rebel 11 2014 slow and hard bar presure vs Cabrinha

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: North Rebel 11 2014 slow and hard bar presure vs Cabrinh

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:30 am

Dont know optimal....like I said...no changes (+/-) experienced in bar pressure or performance after significant increase in above the Y length (~4cm)....it also continues to remain tensioned....

From everything I have read:
above the Y - "slightly slack" when powered up
below the Y - "very slack" when powered up

Below the Y slack makes sense.
Looking to be educated on what role slight slack plays on above the Y...

To me it seems to prioritize the load onto the two front lines until a gust trys to deform the canopy -then the above the Y kicks in preventing taco. May have nothing to do with bar pressure.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:15 am

NYKiter wrote:Dont know optimal....like I said...no changes (+/-) experienced in bar pressure or performance after significant increase in above the Y length (~4cm)....it also continues to remain tensioned....

From everything I have read:
above the Y - "slightly slack" when powered up
below the Y - "very slack" when powered up

Below the Y slack makes sense.
Looking to be educated on what role slight slack plays on above the Y...

To me it seems to prioritize the load onto the two front lines until a gust trys to deform the canopy -then the above the Y kicks in preventing taco. May have nothing to do with bar pressure.
My understanding is different

The Rebel has a 'loaded 5th' line design according to North. It means the 5th should be under tension at all times regardless of power or depower. This is consistent with my experience.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:41 am

Agreed with the above. Just got off a 2015 Evo 10m...now that has no tension on the fifth. I fly 2015 dynos now...tensioned fifth always as my rebels were. You are correct. Rebel doesn't have pulleys or much of a bridal, needs that tensioned fifth line support.

And by the way, the new Evo is much superior to last years new kid on the block. Better front and back line synchronisation. Bloody well takes you vertical, you go big on those puppies. Flies a bit more forward, little more fuse type jumping in it this year. Had a cracker of a session, bloody nice kite and enough hang for some simple board offs. Reckon it's got the same vertical plane potential as the dyno actually, but not as much glide...still drifts and loops quite well, actually drifts REALLY well. Think north have got it where it should be now in the line up.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:32 pm

Fair enough - you guys been riding them longer than I have..
Thanks

superpak101
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby superpak101 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:59 am

I'm looking to replace my 2012 12m SB. How much lighter is the bar pressure on the 2014s and 2015s? 10% lighter? 20% possible? Is it possible to steer the kite aggresively with one hand? (That's not possible for me with my 2012.)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 am

NYKiter wrote:Fair enough - you guys been riding them longer than I have..
Thanks

Well to be honest the new dyno isn't fully tensioned, but for some reason it is semi tensioned ...watched it closely the other day, it kind of sits between the rebel and a non tensioned say dice or evo. It's weird, the whole strut, bridal thing is just weird. It's a weird design...that works. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”