Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boats for teaching

Forum for kitesurfers
kitenico
Medium Poster
Local Beach: colombia
Favorite Beaches: cabo de la vela , puntagallinas , chivor , calima , cartagena ,puerto velero
Style: freeride, freestyle , wakestyle , race
Gear: bandit 9,12
edge 17
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boats for teaching

Postby kitenico » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Ive used mostly inflatables for lessons has anyone tried jetskys the pros and cons they concern, any other suggestion

jb92563
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Elsinore, CA
Belmont Shores, CA
Gear: Blade FatLadyV4 17m, North Rhino7 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: Band-Aid

Re: Boats for teaching

Postby jb92563 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Since Wind and Waves are a big factor the inflatable sounds like a good idea except for that pesky motor/prop in the way some times.

Jetski are swift and agile for rescue work but not as stable as an inflatable when climbing aboard and lack of space for equipment, spare kites etc.

I suppose both have their compromises so your specific requirements will dictate which is better.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 am

jb92563 wrote:Since Wind and Waves are a big factor the inflatable sounds like a good idea except for that pesky motor/prop in the way some times.

Jetski are swift and agile for rescue work but not as stable as an inflatable when climbing aboard and lack of space for equipment, spare kites etc.

I suppose both have their compromises so your specific requirements will dictate which is better.
The really large Jetskis are super stable.
A buddy of mine has a 1200 or 1300cc I believe...the thing is a monster.
Doesn't tip when two people are climbing around on one getting on and off with kite, board etc.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Postby madmax7 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 am

K. Cause I'm bored

What old broken said

But really if u want advice that is worth a darn. How bout details of where you plan operate

I experienced both

So good luck to you

Max

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34 am

Very much depends on local conditions. E.g. Where there are big tides and large tidal flats a boat of any kind is basically worthless as a teaching / safety aid. Perhaps a amphibian of some kind would work but they're usually very expensive. Far better to simply teach the students in safe conditions in a safe location and to teach them good behaviour from the outset...i.e. Never go kiting in an off shore breeze.....ever. I personally would not like to learn or teach anywhere where I had to depend on a boat of any kind simply to go kiting. Boats are for rescue or recovery...not teaching aids. If boats are used in deep water there should be redundancy.....on each craft and by having multiple crafts. I heard (not seen) of situations where one instructor took 3 students in an inflatable out to deep water and put them all in the sea. The instructor then just cruised around them giving 'advice' and occasionally picking up one of the students and taking the, back up wind. Sounds total madness to me. What if there had been an emergency with any of those people? What would have happened, inparticular, if there had been an emergency with the instructor? Boats should, IMHO, be nice to haves and not essential. I know plenty will disagree with this view...and they like to have the 'safety net' of a boat or jet ski on the beach. My local beach has a lifeboat station....with a tractor / rib and a hovercraft. They do come / go to the rescue of kiters and windsurfers but to this point none of my students have needed them and I hope that is the case in the future.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:28 pm

How about a jet boat like Sea Doo.....

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:34 pm

I have taught off of boats (center console 14-18 ft. skiffs) and jet skis. Here's my comparison:

1. Pumping kites - Easier on the flat bow of a skiff, but can be done on the back of a jet ski.

2. Carrying equipment - More room in a boat, but adequate room on jet ski using kite backpack.

3. Number of students - Gets tough on a jet ski with more than one student unless you are teaching in a shallow water setting and can get in the water for instruction. Even then, no more than 2 students on a large jet ski.

4. Instruction techniques - Either works fine if you are in a shallow water setting and can get in the water with your students (anchoring your vessel). If you are teaching in deep water and plan to teach from your vessel, a jet ski is more maneuverable and you'll have an easier time getting close to your student.

5. Draft - If you are in a tidal area, jet skis require more draft (if you want to avoid sucking sand and muck into your engine). A flats boat can be walked across shallow areas fairly easily. Jet skis......not so much.

6. Launching, trailering, etc. - Jet skis are smaller and easier to trailer and launch than boats, but a smaller skiff (14-16 ft.) is not inconvenient.

Bottom line depends a lot on your teaching environment and how you intend to use the vessel during your lesson. Hope this input is helpful.

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Blake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Kitehatteras.net

Return to “Kitesurfing”