Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lessons. Lisah's post got me thinking. How many took'm?

Forum for kitesurfers
danie178
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lessons. Lisah's post got me thinking. How many took'm

Postby danie178 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:36 am

You should all be coming to New Zealand to learn, :D we teach hundreds of students a year and most only require 6-7hrs tuition and a 7 hour package costs only $450nzd, all inclusive.

I took lessons myself when I switched from windsurfing 10 years ago, and glad I did, nothing like actually doing a deep water self rescue with someone there to make sure you do it right. Sure you can learn without instructors if you are bringing other sports to the party but if you have no water sport or air sport experience you are going to struggle and make some grave mistakes, if you are lucky, you will get away with them but an instructor can (and should) minimize these mistakes and mitigate the consequences of making a mistake so you don't damage the equipment, or worse yourself OR EVEN WORSE The PUBLIC.

Also lessons are a great way to meet folks who are at your level, and learn how your local spots work, where the danger areas are, and get into the kite community.

Seen some shocking instructors 5-1 ratios etc but most are getting better now.

Dan

NZBoardstore.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:39 pm

DocDeuce wrote:
t3rse wrote:
DocDeuce wrote:I took lessons with my 15 yr old son 5 years ago. The lessons got me the basics of understanding the wind window etc.. and safety. It was really the advice from local riders here in charleston that got me up and riding. Now, I pay it forward... when I see a new kiter, if I see something that can be tweaked or fixed, or a word of encouragement... I try to help... Except for that 1 out of 10 guy who knows it all (and refuses any and all help/advice from us more experienced kiters) and would rather be unsafe and drag his ass thru a family on the beach on at least 4 different occasions... You know who your are orange pants, we will be looking out for you!!! Sorry about that last rant...

DD

I'm guessing you stay over at Sullivans or IOP since I've never seen Mr. Orange Pants...
Most of the time I'm at IOP or SI... when i have the boat out ill go up to capers. Orange pants is no longer welcome in our neck of the woods. He is just dangerous, the last time he was here, he may have learned a lesson. He pretty removed all the skin on his back and one arm while looping (the second time in one day) thru the crowded beach. Thank heavens no innocent bystander got hurt. It was funny, a week later one of the regulars who wasnt around for the fiasco, showed up in Orange boardshorts... he took quite a bit of crap that day...lol

DD

I wear orange shorts from time to time (go Tigers...lol), but I've definitely never been drug down the beach. I'll be sure to wear another color if I head up your way. How old is this person? I've really only seen one totally sketchy guy on Folly and he was berated off the beach pretty quickly by the regulars.

One thing I'll say I don't understand is why people don't put more work on the back end before getting a lesson. When I took my lesson, I had a ridiculous number of hours on a trainer kite, had read everything I could on the subject that seemed legitimate, and had watched a number of videos. I didn't see the point paying someone to show me basic stuff I could learn on my own. What I paid for was for someone to safely show me how to rig and handle a depower kite. I didn't really understand the concept of "let the kite breathe" until my instructor noticed me choking the crap out of it.

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:04 pm

I wear orange shorts from time to time (go Tigers...lol), but I've definitely never been drug down the beach. I'll be sure to wear another color if I head up your way. How old is this person? I've really only seen one totally sketchy guy on Folly and he was berated off the beach pretty quickly by the regulars.

One thing I'll say I don't understand is why people don't put more work on the back end before getting a lesson. When I took my lesson, I had a ridiculous number of hours on a trainer kite, had read everything I could on the subject that seemed legitimate, and had watched a number of videos. I didn't see the point paying someone to show me basic stuff I could learn on my own. What I paid for was for someone to safely show me how to rig and handle a depower kite. I didn't really understand the concept of "let the kite breathe" until my instructor noticed me choking the crap out of it.[/quote]

He is probably late 30s early 40s... For the longest time we thought he was french because of his accent when he would tell us to F off. Finally someone talked to him and i guess he is actually from belgium. No offense to our french kite brothers.

I lend my trainer out to people who want to learn kiting all the time... Once again paying it forward...

DD

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 pm

DocDeuce wrote: He is probably late 30s early 40s... For the longest time we thought he was french because of his accent when he would tell us to F off. Finally someone talked to him and i guess he is actually from belgium. No offense to our french kite brothers.

I lend my trainer out to people who want to learn kiting all the time... Once again paying it forward...

DD
You mean to tell me this guy came to Charleston?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjcioMm6LD4

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:22 am

i took lessons

they didn´t teach me how to ride

they teached me how to learn how to ride without broken my neck

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:i took lessons

they didn´t teach me how to ride

they teached me how to learn how to ride without broken my neck
lol smart! that's what I had as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”