Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lessons. Lisah's post got me thinking. How many took'm?

Forum for kitesurfers
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Lessons. Lisah's post got me thinking. How many took'm

Postby Bille » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:36 pm

plummet wrote:I learned to kite landboarding. No lessons. Learn by falling over and over again. Falling off hurts more on the land than it does in the water.....
Then when I started to kitesurf I took a 1hr lesson to learn self rescue and get some tips on water starts and that's it.
Like --plummet-- I learned on Land also ; but had a Bunch of lessons from
A Wind of Change kites
in Las Vegas. The owner (Kent) is such a cool Dude, he throws in the lessons for
free if Ya purchase a kite from him , (but that was over a decade ago) !!

Land IS hard ; but there is also the kite-buggy where you sit down , and if things
go bad Ya just let go of the kite. A kite buggy has the current world speed record
for a kite at 86-mph ; fastest i ever bin was 48 mph (GPS).

Learning to go up-wind and do a turnaround , (Tack) on a land buggy ; is probably
one of the more safe ways to learn about kiting in general.

Bille

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Bille wrote: Land IS hard ; but there is also the kite-buggy where you sit down , and if things
go bad Ya just let go of the kite.
Bille
Not my buggy, Bille. My kite is hard wired to the buggy!!!!.... So if things go bad, They go real bad!. But I can hold stupid power hard wired.... like a 10 edge in 25 knots....

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:47 pm

plummet wrote:
Bille wrote: Land IS hard ; but there is also the kite-buggy where you sit down , and if things
Bille
My kite is hard wired to the buggy!!!!.... So if things go bad, They go real bad!.
:o BALLS !!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Your gonna like this story :
A few years ago, i was hooked in to my 10-M Venom on a moon-less night in a 12 to 15-mph
wind. Only light we had on Ivanpah ; was the residual coming from Primm.

I went by the base camp at a moderate speed, heading North towards Primm ; when
my buddy hits his headlights on the truck.
I went totally blind.

The lake-bed was glass-smooth ; and i'll never get another chance like this.
Were talking a 13-square-mile (34 km2) Dry-lake , with Nothing to hit !
So rather than sheet out and pull the safety ; i sheeted In, till i felt the buggy slide
side-ways a bit, then listened for the stuff that lets Ya know your picking up speed.

I lasted about :30 to :40--seconds , (before i Chickened-out) & released the kite !! : :o
What a Wimp !!! :lol:
If i had it to do over --- i Wouldn't . :D

Bille

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Do-it » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:48 pm

I learned in 2001 using a buddy's old kite. Got my ass handed to me every time i went out, so I focused on skydiving/base jumping until 2.5 years ago..... I took two one hour lessons and was riding up wind in no time. I have watched people who decide not to get lessons struggle for at least a year.

Of course, 700 dollars to learn body dragging is fucking outrageous.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Bille wrote:
plummet wrote:
Bille
My kite is hard wired to the buggy!!!!.... So if things go bad, They go real bad!.
:o BALLS !!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Your gonna like this story :
A few years ago, i was hooked in to my 10-M Venom on a moon-less night in a 12 to 15-mph
wind. Only light we had on Ivanpah ; was the residual coming from Primm.

I went by the base camp at a moderate speed, heading North towards Primm ; when
my buddy hits his headlights on the truck.
I went totally blind.

The lake-bed was glass-smooth ; and i'll never get another chance like this.
Were talking a 13-square-mile (34 km2) Dry-lake , with Nothing to hit !
So rather than sheet out and pull the safety ; i sheeted In, till i felt the buggy slide
side-ways a bit, then listened for the stuff that lets Ya know your picking up speed.

I lasted about :30 to :40--seconds , (before i Chickened-out) & released the kite !! : :o
What a Wimp !!! :lol:
If i had it to do over --- i Wouldn't . :D

Bille
Night riding is sublime!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:32 pm

More like a necessity. The sun sets tonight at ten after 5. Pretty bright on snow really. You can see your lines all the way to the kite easy enough.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Personally, I think kite-schools are a tourist rip-off. But one that I am happy to allow and to promote because I love having a convenient place to pump up (electric generators), fix my kite, store my equipment, and buy missing parts when I need them. Also they deal with the local territorial issues as well for us. Such places, schools, would not exist if it were just up to my revenue alone which is microscopic. So yes, keep subsidizing and enhancing my kiting experience with curious tourists, Kite Schools. You are doing God's work for the rest of us. Thank you kite schools!

Never had a lesson. Got one for free when I bought a kite, asked the guy to teach me self rescue where you lie on the kite and turn it into a sail, which I have still to this day not done in real life - in 8 years of kiting on five continents and over 20 countries. But ok.

My personal opinion is that most people who are attracted to the sport (skiers, surfers, adrenaline junkies) on their own can do this with minimal teaching other than having a buddy give them pointers and to check their setup. If you have the personality and the desire to do it, then you just do it. It's like NIKE as cliché as that is.

I think anyone who can drive a car who is not morbidly obese can kite. Those who can't mentally take themselves out of the game either cause they do not want it or they are too nervous.

A lot of people kite because their friends do it or or their boyfriend does it and they don't really take ownership over it. They are curious but not really into it. Lisa fit's this profile. I'm sure her instructor was being lazy and taking advantage of her. But really, I can't blame them. The reason they sell you packages is because anyone who is gonna get it, will get it after the first hour or two and won't need 500 dollars more of lessons. How else would they keep the lights on?

Disclaimer: I am sure there are some "ethical" kite instructors on this forum. I believe you. No need for me to believe otherwise. Just saying what I see the overwhelming majority of kite-schools do worldwide. Not your kiteschool.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 am

ChickenTikka wrote:Personally, I think kite-schools are a tourist rip-off. But one that I am happy to allow and to promote because I love having a convenient place to pump up (electric generators), fix my kite, store my equipment, and buy missing parts when I need them. Also they deal with the local territorial issues as well for us. Such places, schools, would not exist if it were just up to my revenue alone which is microscopic. So yes, keep subsidizing and enhancing my kiting experience with curious tourists, Kite Schools. You are doing God's work for the rest of us. Thank you kite schools!

Never had a lesson. Got one for free when I bought a kite, asked the guy to teach me self rescue where you lie on the kite and turn it into a sail, which I have still to this day not done in real life - in 8 years of kiting on five continents and over 20 countries. But ok.

My personal opinion is that most people who are attracted to the sport (skiers, surfers, adrenaline junkies) on their own can do this with minimal teaching other than having a buddy give them pointers and to check their setup. If you have the personality and the desire to do it, then you just do it. It's like NIKE as cliché as that is.

I think anyone who can drive a car who is not morbidly obese can kite. Those who can't mentally take themselves out of the game either cause they do not want it or they are too nervous.

A lot of people kite because their friends do it or or their boyfriend does it and they don't really take ownership over it. They are curious but not really into it. Lisa fit's this profile. I'm sure her instructor was being lazy and taking advantage of her. But really, I can't blame them. The reason they sell you packages is because anyone who is gonna get it, will get it after the first hour or two and won't need 500 dollars more of lessons. How else would they keep the lights on?

Disclaimer: I am sure there are some "ethical" kite instructors on this forum. I believe you. No need for me to believe otherwise. Just saying what I see the overwhelming majority of kite-schools do worldwide. Not your kiteschool.

Yes

Eurus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Eurus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:14 am

ChickenTikka wrote:Personally, I think kite-schools are a tourist rip-off.
You are wrong in so many ways. There are unethical people who run all types of businesses. No one I know in the kiting industry who are instructors are unethical. I know and have met kite instructors all over the world and there is only 1 I have met (who will remain unnamed) that I thought was a poor instructor. He wasn't unethical. He was just a very poor instructor.

There are so many idiot kooks getting into this sport that without kite instructors we would have no place to ride because the idiot kooks would have all of our public spots shut down. Anyone who thinks like you is exactly the idiot kook mentality I am referring to. Someone who thinks they can just hop into this sport without any legitimate instruction. And having your kite buddies give instruction doesn't count.

This sport is dangerous to a beginner.

This sport is dangerous to a pro.

I might be able to throw a football pretty good but it sure would be nice to have Tom Brady give me some lessons and guidance.

I might be able to swing a golf club ok but it sure would be nice to have Tiger Woods teach me how to rip it 300 yards down the middle.

By the way...both Tom Brady and Tiger Woods have coaches who work with them on being better and they are both elite athletes. But you somehow think kiting is exempt from instruction?

It's funny how people who get into this sport somehow think they can pick it up without any instruction. These are the same idiot kooks who hot launch their kite into a tree or get drug through a parking lot into a parked car. These are the same idiot kooks who pop their kite by tomahawking it into the water because they are too stupid to sheet out. These are the same idiot kooks who lose their board because they are too stupid to learn how to body drag correctly.

Get off your high horse thinking kite instruction is a tourist trap. Like I said...there are unethical people in all types of businesses.

makorider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Mantoloking NJ
Gear: Naish

Postby makorider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:12 am

Eurus wrote:
ChickenTikka wrote:Personally, I think kite-schools are a tourist rip-off.

There are so many idiot kooks getting into this sport that without kite instructors we would have no place to ride because the idiot kooks would have all of our public spots shut down. Anyone who thinks like you is exactly the idiot kook mentality I am referring to. Someone who thinks they can just hop into this sport without any legitimate instruction. And having your kite buddies give instruction doesn't count.

I
Guess I'm the idiot kook. And after my 2nd season, doing quite well for an idiot apparently.

Just what makes an instructor better than my my kite buddy? A piece of paper? Experience? I doubt it...one has probably 15 days in allready this year...in Jersey at that. The other was a team rider for a major windsurf sail company, and has been kiting since the beginning. (back to what Toby said in the 2nd post....I've heard the stories, no depower, etc, giving a new definition to the term ass-kicking lol)

Sounds like you're in the business. And if I were too, I'd probably be thinking the same way and trying to emulate the PADI dive scam. Though I'd argue you could kill yourself alot quicker diving.

I do think lessons are necessary for some. In the circles I run, I think most of my buds, and some are expressing interest, could handle it just fine without a formal lesson but definately with some oversight. And I will be paying it forward, I'm sure.

Myself? I'm a slightly overweight, mid 40's USCG licensed idiot kook that is doing just fine without a single lesson, or a dive log for that matter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”