Predictions for Ram Airs in 2015

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Predictions for Ram Airs in 2015

Postby Pump me up » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:47 am

Well girls, the new year has arrived with a bang. A great opportunity to discuss the imminent failure of ram airs in 2015.

The proof will be seen in top level competitions like the PKRA Freestyle events. No ram airs will make it into the elite levels, i.e. the top 20.

No doubt ram lovers will CLAIM crackpot 3rd tier competition results. The reason ram lovers have to compete in obscure or unpopular events is because they can't cut it at the elite level of Freestyle. After all, Freestyle, more than any other discipline, tests the lift, consistency, speed, manoeuvrability, range, stability, and general aerodynamic handling of a kite. Ram lovers claiming success in obscure events or course racing kind of reminds me of the kooks at school who couldn't make the football team, so chose to become experts at ping pong.

No doubt the team at Ozone will claim one of their riders getting a minor placing in a local comp as evidence of the capability of the Chrono, but don't be sucked in. The minor successes of the Chrono in 2014 relate to the ultra-high aspect ratio of the kite and flat luff curve. The Chrono was significantly handicapped because it was a ram air. High aspect ratio, flat luff curve inflatables will dominate racing in 2015 and will completely blow away the minor successes of the Chrono in 2015. SIGNIFICANT problems with the CHRONO are now starting to appear: bridle stretching, twisting, wineglassing, disastrous swim-ins, unsuitability for anything other than racing, instability in gusty conditions, limited lifespan, hopeless relaunch, etc. These problems will be addressed by the new range of inflatable race kites.

Ram air sales will continue to fall as a proportion of kites sold. The reason? They are less safe, harder to learn on, and aerodynamically inferior.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram airs are aerodynamically inferior compared to inflatables.

PMU

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Predictions for Ram Airs in 2015

Postby POACHER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:22 am

not-sure-if-this-is-awkward-or-comfortable-silence.jpg
not-sure-if-this-is-awkward-or-comfortable-silence.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby AirBunny » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:59 am

So, ping-pong is a kind of football game? Is that what I'm supposed to learn from this post?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:03 am

Pump me up wrote:Well girls, the new year has arrived with a bang. A great opportunity to discuss the imminent failure of ram airs in 2015.

The proof will be seen in top level competitions like the PKRA Freestyle events. No ram airs will make it into the elite levels, i.e. the top 20.

No doubt ram lovers will CLAIM crackpot 3rd tier competition results. The reason ram lovers have to compete in obscure or unpopular events is because they can't cut it at the elite level of Freestyle. After all, Freestyle, more than any other discipline, tests the lift, consistency, speed, manoeuvrability, range, stability, and general aerodynamic handling of a kite. Ram lovers claiming success in obscure events or course racing kind of reminds me of the kooks at school who couldn't make the football team, so chose to become experts at ping pong.

No doubt the team at Ozone will claim one of their riders getting a minor placing in a local comp as evidence of the capability of the Chrono, but don't be sucked in. The minor successes of the Chrono in 2014 relate to the ultra-high aspect ratio of the kite and flat luff curve. The Chrono was significantly handicapped because it was a ram air. High aspect ratio, flat luff curve inflatables will dominate racing in 2015 and will completely blow away the minor successes of the Chrono in 2015. SIGNIFICANT problems with the CHRONO are now starting to appear: bridle stretching, twisting, wineglassing, disastrous swim-ins, unsuitability for anything other than racing, instability in gusty conditions, limited lifespan, hopeless relaunch, etc. These problems will be addressed by the new range of inflatable race kites.

Ram air sales will continue to fall as a proportion of kites sold. The reason? They are less safe, harder to learn on, and aerodynamically inferior.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram airs are aerodynamically inferior compared to inflatables.

PMU
They do have draw backs but when you spend a week in Cuba and the flysurfers guys are riding every day and you ride two days I'd say they pretty much win the light wind contest.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:19 am

Zzzzzzz

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone
Been thanked: 0

Postby boardjockey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:17 am

Didn't the shark nose boost the performance of the Chrono compared to earlier designs?

I'd like to have a Chrono for super light days with a hydrofoil. Of course riding in such conditions can lead to challenging situations. On second thought, I'll do something else on those days.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:07 am

I'm demoing a 12m chrono right now. A very interesting kite.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:44 am

ALL you Guys that posted so far ...
you got Squat for a memory ; so i ain't gonna tell Ya !!!

It's an "Insider" Joke :
Not so secret , identity wrote: ...
That's a knife in my back, Toby :schmoll:. You always knew who was PMU :pump: . Wasn't it agreed to keep this totally secret :shhh: between all of us underground FS agents, ...

:
Bille :D

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:50 am

Pump me up wrote:reminds me of the kooks at school who couldn't make the football team, so chose to become experts at ping pong.
PMU how is your ping pong today, did you continue your expert career after school? Did you ever reach street level to be best player at your home street or did you have to re-kook yourself to kiting and claim to be expert there?

And are you talking football or armball (as there is already sports called handball)?

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity