Favorite Beaches: prasonisi, rhodes - greece
Gear: renting gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

old kite (North Toro 2 14m2 2004) - help with it

Postby itox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi! :)

I've wanted to ask if anyone has ever used this kite? I've received from a friend his very old, first and only kite, 14m2 north toro 2 from 2004. Only problem is that it has no bar (he's lost it)..

So What I've wanted to know is how is this kite, what is it good for and so on.. and most important, what kind of bar should I buy to fit this kite, if it is even worth trying to fly this kite, maybe it is better to buy all new equipment?

Please let me know your opinions.
Thanks

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: old kite (North Toro 2 14m2 2004) - help with it

Postby whabbits » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Apologies if I have misunderstood your post. I took it that this is also your first kite and are looking to learn?
For roughly the cost of buying a reliable bar for that kite, you can find a used 2010 kite and bar that you will enjoy a lot more and have a much faster time learning on than that kite or any kite from that era.

Buy your gear after your lessons.
Have fun and welcome to the sport.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 pm

North Toro is an old old kite, not particular great in its day, really obsolete now and unless you are an experienced kiter (which I presume your not as you are enquiring what bar it needs) then really only any good for the bin, or a museum.

manicskier
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Melbourne, Altona
Style: kook
Gear: 14m Liquid Force Havoc 09
9m Best Waroo 07

Postby manicskier » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:11 am

What they said ^^

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:51 am

I'll sell you a bar for that kite :D

itox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: n/a

Postby itox » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:27 am

Ok, Thanks for your responses,

I've done lessons last year on prasonisi Rhodes, and if I remember well, I was learning on cabrinha switchblade 9m, but the winds there are great..

Anyway, since I really want to go into this sport and I've heard I'll need 3 kites, can this one be a 3rd kite, for light winds (10-17knots)? Or it is not good enough even for that.
Since you all know why, I would like if you tell me also what has changed so much in kites all this year's?

Thanks again 8)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:18 am

It's an old design, C kite with no de power so more risk of injury, it's aerodynamically inferior to modern kites and a 9m Switchblade with modern board will probably have a better low end so no good as a low wind kite, it needs really to be ridden with a smaller board as you won't be able to control the power with a modern board as they are too wide typically. It was a beginners kite back in 2004 so the performance isn't great = very poor wind range.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:33 pm

All good info.

That kite was before bridles were added to kites which changed the shape of them considerably. The result was the ability to get the kite to let go of almost all the pull but still fly well.

That toro has a shape and line config that won't let you off the hook in the gusts of whenever the power gets the better of you. Other important things like relaunch were also much much much more difficult with kites of that era.

As mentioned it will have a very narrow usable wind range compared to modern kites and even right in the middle of its sweet spot it will be a whole other type of ride where your essentially riding the brakes in fear of it getting too powered up.

Unfortunately, even riders who are completely capable of handling that kite will pass on it as its just not worth the hassle. Even if it were free.

itox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: n/a

Postby itox » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Cool, so I have to get a new kite, what do you recommend?
I don't want a beginners kite, something what will be good for jumping and free ride in future..

Winds here are from 10 to 20 knots, when there is any wind anyway, not often..

I'm 80kg..

Any advices will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:21 pm

You can find kites marketed to beginners, but kites don't really break down that way. Thruth is in a lot of ways what makes a kite easier for learning also make it better in the hands of advanced riders. There are a few exceptions of course, but in general you want a 4 line kite with a bridle that is stable and solid in the air, Has a good simple reliable safety system, Has a nice big usable wind range and easy relaunch. To narrow it down, think kites from 2012 or newer and you can't really go too far wrong. Everyone and their dog has an opinion on brands, but truth is for learning, there are soooooooo many good options.

For your size probably something around 12m, and a nice big board.

viewtopic.php?t=2387801&p=875066

Return to “Kitesurfing”