Best NEMI HP 2009 14m
Best NEMI HP 2009 8m

Crazy fly raptor pro ltd 132
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which control bar - Switch Controller 2 or Slingshot compsti

Postby Cyberstu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:34 am

Im dishearted with the quality of my currunt bar, and with the lack of available parts and service.

So im thinking of jumping brands. Im interested in the Switch controller 2 and the slingshot compstick.
I am leaning more to the Switch bar because of being a kiwi brand, the many adjustable features of the bar and price. I can also order a part online and have it here the next day, without it being a ridiculous price. My currunt brand charges $180 to ship a $30 item....... Seriously.

So just want some rider feedback on how good either of these controllers are

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Which control bar - Switch Controller 2 or Slingshot com

Postby justbob » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:16 am

Controller 2 - Like the price, adjustability, quality, ease of use, availability of cheap replacement parts. Hate the trim ball and the weight. Good value for the doh ray me. Under $300 bucks compared to others and excelent customer service. My 2 sense.
Bob

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:40 am

Yep gotta agree with bob unless you want to build your own out of parts. Which is what we do. Get all the features you want and the satisfaction of learning smashing new.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:53 am

The switch bar is really good, and you won't have any problem with replacement parts. Plus the prices are unbeatable.

Cyberstu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Orewa
Style: Hooked in and huge
Gear: Best NEMI HP 2012 10m
Best NEMI HP 2009 14m
Best NEMI HP 2009 8m

Postby Cyberstu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:12 am

Just been thrown a curve ball. The brand i was riding have offered me a wholesale 2014 bar..... Its 2/3 the price of the switch but ill have the same problems with customer service and parts im sure. Im liking the switch feed back

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi, i have a few bars now....incl. The slingshot, the switch is an excellent bar, the lines still look like new after a full season of use.....qualitat is so good..really top. I live in germany and it takes a day or two to arrive here. The bar is heavy but it does not matter one bit on the water...the kite takes the weight, and you know the bar will not break on you! The grip and diamiter or the bar is perfect for me. I always manage to driftstart and. Land without tangles with the controller2 , yes im impressed and very happy with this 230 euro bar. The safety and depower are amazing, you can also adust the reach on the bar. The slingshot is also a good bar but spares are unavailable and expensive and i dont want depower under the bar anymore, its just harder to use....just my experience after a full seasons use.....the bar looks like new....

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:10 pm

That is my experience with the compstick as well, I had both the 2012 and the 2013 and after two years of use they still look brand new and the lines perfectly in tune, no stretching at all. The only thing I had to replace was the trim line (the one that always gets torn up) which was an $18 replacement. I don't know why you'd need to replace anything else, really. Both swivels were still swiveling as well, as long as I rinsed them and gave them a twist before going on the water. I don't know why you'd need any other replacement parts, unless you keep your bars for 10 years.

That said, I just bought a switch bar. I like the idea of having adjustable sizing, and having line extensions to go between 20 and 23m rather than just having different length lines coming with different kite sizes. Also don't like below the bar depower, though it works fine on slingshot, it's pretty easy to trim.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Always nice to support local.

One is below bar and one is above bar. Should probably factor into the conversation.

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.

Postby Living2Kite » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Cyberstu wrote:Im dishearted with the quality of my currunt bar, and with the lack of available parts and service.

So im thinking of jumping brands. Im interested in the Switch controller 2 and the slingshot compstick.
I am leaning more to the Switch bar because of being a kiwi brand, the many adjustable features of the bar and price. I can also order a part online and have it here the next day, without it being a ridiculous price. My currunt brand charges $180 to ship a $30 item....... Seriously.

So just want some rider feedback on how good either of these controllers are
Are you sure you'll get it next day? What about shipping costs with Switch?, it isn't free.

Cyberstu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Orewa
Style: Hooked in and huge
Gear: Best NEMI HP 2012 10m
Best NEMI HP 2009 14m
Best NEMI HP 2009 8m

Postby Cyberstu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:39 am

I spoke with Switch yesterday, and as I live in Auckland NZ, so long as I ordered before 2pm, i would have it delivered the next day. Shipping would cost $9.35NZD. Bargain

Return to “Kitesurfing”