Forum for kitesurfers
DirkGently
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are boots soft on hard landings?

Postby DirkGently » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:33 pm

posty wrote:I also have the Echo wakestyle board so my landings are very soft now.
Will try 15 degrees next time and see from there what feels better.
Where I kite has a very defined season and I find that I will change my stance angles slightly as the season goes by, little bit back and forth depending on what aches I'm dealing with.

Glad its working out!!

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Frank82 wrote:
laz wrote:The board makes the biggest differance. A big wide wake style board is going to hurt way more that a smaller narrower twintip.

Try raptor heal straps as an alternative to full binding. I ride with them and love them.
Heal straps, that's one way to destroy your ACL... Just ride boots or straps, don't go for something inbetween.
What is the biggest ACL risk in kiting? I always thought it was due to having only one foot in a strap and the board twisting.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:27 pm

William Munney wrote:
Frank82 wrote:
laz wrote:The board makes the biggest differance. A big wide wake style board is going to hurt way more that a smaller narrower twintip.

Try raptor heal straps as an alternative to full binding. I ride with them and love them.
Heal straps, that's one way to destroy your ACL... Just ride boots or straps, don't go for something inbetween.
What is the biggest ACL risk in kiting? I always thought it was due to having only one foot in a strap and the board twisting.
That exactly, with heel straps you increase the risk to have 1 foot out of the strap and 1 in. With boots you're secured and with just straps it's easy to kick the board off.

Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair

Postby posty » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:43 pm

sijandy wrote:
posty wrote:So i went for the Liquid Force Vantage boots and they are like cushions.
Very happy with that.
That's interesting, so you're saying they're softer than previous straps you've been using? I've always assumed the straps are generally softer under foot cause those pad thicknesses look huge on most of the boards i've seen. I've just spent a week away on brand new harleys which are pretty much the same as the vantages and my heels are bruised to shit!
They are pretty much the same as some good soft pads but in combination with a wakestyle board it's even better!
That's why i picked the Vantage because they have some gel based shock absorption system.

Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair

Postby posty » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:44 pm

DirkGently wrote:
posty wrote:I also have the Echo wakestyle board so my landings are very soft now.
Will try 15 degrees next time and see from there what feels better.
Where I kite has a very defined season and I find that I will change my stance angles slightly as the season goes by, little bit back and forth depending on what aches I'm dealing with.

Glad its working out!!
Thanks Dirk,

I will keep tweaking them!

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:16 am

I'm with DirkGently on this one. I could care less about the stiffness, flex, flatness, or rocker of a board. Landing smoothly is 100% technique. I can land any board (TT) as smooth or rough as I want to. Some guys like to stomp everything and those are the same guys who will have knee and ankle problems at some point. Learn proper landing technique and it won't matter what you are wearing or riding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”