Drafter
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Draft 12/9/7 + Naish Motion 138
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Draft 12m bridle modification?

Postby Drafter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:40 pm

Fly the Naish Draft 2013 7/9/12, 7 and 9 are ok but the 12m has so much bar force... :-?
Thinking about a modification of the steering line attachment points at the v-bridle. Anyone experiences with that? Steering attachment more to the tip end could be working?
Regards
Andre

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Draft 12m bridle modification?

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Drafter wrote:Fly the Naish Draft 2013 7/9/12, 7 and 9 are ok but the 12m has so much bar force... :-?
Thinking about a modification of the steering line attachment points at the v-bridle. Anyone experiences with that? Steering attachment more to the tip end could be working?
Regards
Andre
I don't think anything you do on the bar will do much to less the bar pressure. If anything I would look at the attachments on the kite.
The easiest would be to move the backlines a but further back, but your wing tips might bend as a result. I personally would not mess around with the front bridle.

Maybe consider using a stopper on the center lines?

Drafter
Rare Poster

Postby Drafter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Sliding stopper is no option for me, i removed him quickly - in our gusty conditions its really dangerous.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 pm

you can make bar pressure liter by changing length of the bridle lines, moving tow point closer to the center of effort.
but draft is the low profile high aspect kite which means it is slow to turn. making bar pressure liter this way would make the kite even less responsive to back line pull.
naish probably found the somehow bearable bar pressure for the decent enough turning for your draft. improving one property will hinder another in this case

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:03 am

eree wrote:you can make bar pressure liter by changing length of the bridle lines, moving tow point closer to the center of effort.
but draft is the low profile high aspect kite which means it is slow to turn. making bar pressure liter this way would make the kite even less responsive to back line pull.
naish probably found the somehow bearable bar pressure for the decent enough turning for your draft. improving one property will hinder another in this case
I think there are a bit more going on when you move the front tow point with more attachment points, and really more things to f*** up...but in general I agree.

There is not much that can be done on the bar.
Just for the record unless the 12 is a lot harder on the bar than the 14, I'd say the pressure is reasonable. It might work better if you shorten the back lines a bit. You'll be in danger of oversheeting (make sure you do not pull the bar all the way in), but your arms will be a bit more extended on full power which might be more convenient. :-)

Drafter
Rare Poster

Postby Drafter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for input. Today i shortend the red marked v-line with a 8-knot, so the virtual pulling point wandering about 3cm more to the tip end. If there´s backstall i can adjust the backline length under the floater, if its all crap i remove the 8-knot :wink:
The bar pressure of 9 and 7 is ok for a high ar kite, but 12 feels different. Also if you try to relaunch him, 9/7 ok but 12m needs the old school method by rolling on its back even in higher winds.
Attachments
draft bridle.jpg
draft bridle.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 3017 times

tibo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Madrid, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Alarcon lake (Madrid), Tarifa, Valencia area, Glenans archipel, french brittany
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo 16 2017 12-North Select 2010

Postby tibo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:30 am

Hi Drafter

I just found this old post and I am wondering if the bridle modification worked.
I would like to try that on my 14m Draft to make it more confortable
I am also thinking about getting a 2015 9m2 Draft but I never tried it.
I understand the bar pressure is OK on the small sizes. Do you confirm?

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder

Postby WMFG » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:41 am

tibo wrote:Hi Drafter

I just found this old post and I am wondering if the bridle modification worked.
I would like to try that on my 14m Draft to make it more confortable
I am also thinking about getting a 2015 9m2 Draft but I never tried it.
I understand the bar pressure is OK on the small sizes. Do you confirm?

Hi Tibo,

I've owned a couple 14m Drafts (Gen I and II) and ridden the 9m Draft and I can tell you it really is a very different kite int he 9m vs the 14m. Where the 14M is big, flat, kind of slow, but super powerful, the 9m has a much more traditional feel. It's a super fast kite, lots of power, jumps sick, and feels super, super stable. Personally I prefer the Pivot, but the 9m Draft is a really sick kite. I wouldn't describe the bar pressure as high on the 9m, I truthfully don't recall everything about the kite in that size, but it didn't impress me as having high bar pressure. Hope that helps

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:12 pm

It would certainly work. Moving the V to sit more back (or even removing it) will reduce the bar pressure.

Dmitry Medvedev
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cold Russia
Style: FreeRide
Gear: Naish Draft 14 Ride 12 Draft 9

Postby Dmitry Medvedev » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 am

Hello !
I am the owner of the kite Naish Draft 14 m, main problem of this kite is a lot of pressure on the bar. The figure shows how you can reduce it.

After the addition of pig tail ( 8 cm 3,15 inch ) bar pressure has become commonplace, and the kite began to be managed better .

After the addition of pig tail pressure on the bar became less and kite became better controlled. Now my Naish Draft became very similar to Naish Ride!

Slightly increased the length of the back lines and power fell a bit, but freeride was very good !!!

I recommend to everyone !!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”