madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Radically Redesigned, 5th Gen Razor from Ocean Rodeo

Postby madworld » Thu May 28, 2015 3:03 pm

5.0 Razor 001.JPG
The new 10m Ocean Rodeo 5.0 is a wonderful kite. I only tested it with out the pulley locked out as I am strapless surf style, it works great in the surf. It is better in all aspects compared to old versions of this kite. It feels lighter in the air, more nimble, feels lighter under powered, less bar pressure but enough so you do not need to look at the kite to know were it is. You can choke it up with more power and when the wind lulls it does not back stall at all. A very stable high performance kite, very tight solid feeling.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu May 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Do-it wrote:
I am thinking of buying an 8m.
Me too. Can anyone comments if 8-12m Razor combo will just overlap? I would love a 2-kite travel quiver option to cover most days. There are some good 2014 deals out there...

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 pm

matthepp wrote:
Do-it wrote:
I am thinking of buying an 8m.
Me too. Can anyone comments if 8-12m Razor combo will just overlap? I would love a 2-kite travel quiver option to cover most days. There are some good 2014 deals out there...
Hopefully some punters will chime in here too so it's not just the sales guy speaking but I will say that I know a number of riders - including many locals here in Vic - who have made the 8/12 combo their quiver. It means you're holding down the 12 in bigger winds but the kite can handle that - and you get huge airs when you do!

Ideally, you'd add the 10 but 8/12 is a popular combo, no doubt.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 am

Got my first session on the V5 10m. I'll do a full review later after some more sessions, but my first observations are (this is compared to a V3 (2013 10m Razor) which I replaced it with:

-Better in the surf, seems to be smoother for the most part.
-Much better upwind it feels like, although it might have just been conditions today.
-Jumping wise, boost seems similar, the hangtime seems longer, which is a bit of a surprise.

I haven't tried the bridle lock, and I'm running on 24m lines, which I do on all my kites, all sessions. It's what I was used to so I've just never changed.

Overall, it seems like OR took all of the good aspects of the previous generations and put them together. I've had different iterations of each generation of the Razor. I'll update after a few more sessions.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Quick question, for all of the Ocean Rodeo Razor riders out there, do you ride with line extensions or not?

I've been riding OR for 5 years now, and when they switched from 23m lines to I believe 21m with 3m extensions, I instantly wanted the extensions because I noticed a pretty significant drop in power.

I've been riding the new 10m Razor mostly with extensions, but I tried it the other day without and it definitely helps with loops and bar pressure, which obviously makes sense.

Just wondering from a design standpoint, does it matter much other than obviously longer lines = more power, less turning speed.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:35 pm

I noticed a significant power loss when I switched my 24m bar to my 20m. I now use a 25m five line bar. I didn't notice any difference in the turning speed. Maybe a little more time to initiate the turn, but not much. I've been playing around with a lot of kites lately and I must say that the Razor is the most powerful kite I've flown.

Return to “Kitesurfing”