Forum for kitesurfers
alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: which strapless surfboard?

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Starsky wrote:...The reality is that many kiters are surfboard illiterate and start with a rockered narrow shape that suits higher winds and they fail in frustration to get it working in light to moderate wind...
:thumb:

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AirBunny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Oi, when do you guys surf/kite? I was just on the water -- no wind, so just some paddling in the puddle -- and you wrote me a novel. Digesting... I guess that's why kite manufacturers developed special kitesurfing waveboards... but you have to agree they have to cater to the common denominator and not just to the very advanced kiters. Waveboarding manufactueres have more experience and probably a larger market so they've been developing level specific products that make sense. Kiteboarding is still too young, in its big air phase -- analogous to big wave in surfing. But it will evolve, it will become tamer, more sophisticated, and we can eventually hope for more level-specific products in future... And a better name...

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Bang on, my friend who's just starting brought a 26.5l conventional tapered board and at 175lbs
he's having a tough time learning ........
alamos_kiter wrote:
Starsky wrote:...The reality is that many kiters are surfboard illiterate and start with a rockered narrow shape that suits higher winds and they fail in frustration to get it working in light to moderate wind...
:thumb:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:50 pm

AirBunny wrote:Oi, when do you guys surf/kite? I was just on the water -- no wind, so just some paddling in the puddle -- and you wrote me a novel. Digesting... I guess that's why kite manufacturers developed special kitesurfing waveboards... but you have to agree they have to cater to the common denominator and not just to the very advanced kiters. Waveboarding manufactueres have more experience and probably a larger market so they've been developing level specific products that make sense. Kiteboarding is still too young, in its big air phase -- analogous to big wave in surfing. But it will evolve, it will become tamer, more sophisticated, and we can eventually hope for more level-specific products in future... And a better name...

Wrote that on the ferry to the beach. No luck, still iced in.

Most of us reached the maturity stage in the sport at about the six year mark, so it sounds patronizing when you profess as to where the sport is in its development when you yourself have not really reached the big air phase of your learning curve. I remember you professing that unhooking was only good for two things and two things only.....
AirBunny wrote:Wow Starsky, you should publish a book! Good to see so many wind-inspired words. BUT -- sorry I'm not convinced -- unhooked is good for two things and two things only: downwind in the wave, bc it gives you greater control of the kite and you don't have to work so hard (otherwise you are just huffing and puffing-- not fun!) and handlepass, which is Tarzan-style cool, but then again a question of taste. I honestly don't see other advantages to unhooking. It seems counterproductive to optimizing hangtime

Yes, you actually wrote that with mere hours in the sport. I'm fairly confident you have never ridden unhooked, which makes that kind of proselytizing arrogant and that is where the friction lies. It has nothing to do with what you have under your board shorts or anyones political leanings.

Kite surf brands make kite SURF boards. Most kiters looking to get into strapless are not any where near ready for surf let alone do it strapless. The boards are exactly what they are advertised for. Surf. Getting into strapless riding is a whole different thing and none of us learned it while dropping in on bombs, so it makes sense that we did it on different board than Kelly takes to pipe. The nice thing about kites, is that they make up for a hell of a lot and mere mortals like us get to ride the kings ride once we get the hang of it.

The sport has evolved exceptionally fast, and is way ahead of you. There are those who are totally proficient strapless on foil board, wake skates, surfboards, skimboards, Paipos, etc. There are not only very specific boards, but there are many genre specific kites on the market. Strapless riding is a board centred approach and those that simply take the straps off of their 5'2 gun are missing the point. I have outlined a way for them to find a board that will help them broaden their horizons and have fun along the way. No need to take my advice, but it is given in good faith with ample experience in the mix.
jimmy lewis.jpg
PS. that board is for sale. If you want something to take over when your nugget starts to bounce send me a pm. Great shape, great condition, great price.
Last edited by Starsky on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirBunny
Frequent Poster

Postby AirBunny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:06 pm

It's called intelligence! BTW, did you notice how the Brit didn't respond to me when I asked whether less skilled kiters will have a hard time on a pro surf board, but once you and alamo partoted my observation, it was 'bang on'... He can't give a woman credit for anything and neither can you. That's so pathetic

AirBunny
Frequent Poster

Postby AirBunny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:08 pm

So we are back to the begonner insults... You never kite, you just type. Who knows if you aren't a 500 pound whale who never touched a board in hos life

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:20 pm

There was no name calling there. If you find straight up observation of your behaviour insulting, I guess the fault is with you. Again there is no relation at all to your gender, but you can do exactly what you so often chastise others for and attack character. I will stick to the record. You have provided so many great examples to draw from.

I will refrain from name calling to keep this interesting and will simply point out what you yourself have said and how exactly it is so wrong. You are free to hurl insults if you can't find any other way to debate.

You wanna argue, lets do it.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:22 pm

AirBunny wrote:It's called intelligence! BTW, did you notice how the Brit didn't respond to me when I asked whether less skilled kiters will have a hard time on a pro surf board, but once you and alamo partoted my observation, it was 'bang on'... He can't give a woman credit for anything and neither can you. That's so pathetic
Making bold definitive but speculative statements about an advanced aspect of a sport in which you have no experience is intelligent?

I think I answered you clearly enough that a nugget indeed is a good choice for learning strapless and that a standard short board shape is only harder when used in inappropriate conditions.

The Brit kindly agreed...twice.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:55 pm

Starsky wrote:...Kite surf brands make kite SURF boards. Most kiters looking to get into strapless are not any where near ready for surf let alone do it strapless. The boards are exactly what they are advertised for. Surf. Getting into strapless riding is a whole different thing and none of us learned it while dropping in on bombs, so it makes sense that we did it on different board than Kelly takes to pipe.
Strapless riding is a board centred approach and those that simply take the straps off of their 5'2 gun are missing the point.
:thumb: :thumb:

And may I add: rocker reflects the curvature of the wave. Slop requires flat-ish rocker for speed, and a snappy tail, clean wave requires a decent surf rocker, and decent wind to get back out again. A wide traditional fish shape with volume being a good solution for decent waves with little wind.
Last edited by alamos_kiter on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:09 pm

AirBunny wrote:P.S. Apologies if I have failed to heed good advice from anyone, though I don't remember doing so, but it's hard to stay level-headed when you are under constant attack for your gender, status, experience and all kinds of speculative pseudo-personal info that has nothing to do with kiting; damage control is your finishing school these days; don't let any bully tell you how to live or how to style yourself
AirBunny wrote:Oh TT pulled the victim card. Typical bully behavior. No I want to be able to trust the advice I get here and know that it's not coming from morally reprehensible sources. Those who've attacked me for no reason know it very well.

Everyone judges by his own standard. Those who use inflammatory language think the same of others. I'm just trying to keep it real here but some people have a problem with women and some with language.

Nothing is more inflammatory than your halfbaked Marxist arguments. Marx is Hegel for beginners. And Hegel is way out of fashion.

So let me get this straight: you do extreme sports yet can't handle some straight talk from a woman? Watch out, that wave may be over your head.
....and Marx? Really? Which reminds me that you claimed to be "high up in science" but never explained what that meant. I'm still curious what that even means.

On all the other less coherent stuff I was going to respond, but I think you do your own digging quite nicely.

Return to “Kitesurfing”