Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden
Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Naish Draft vs Naish Pivot

Postby Pellesurf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Anyone who has ridden both in size 12 ?
Is there a big difference , mainly on the low end, bar pressure, upwind ability, and jump/hangtime ?

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Draft vs Naish Pivot

Postby seaplus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm hoping you get some responses...I have a quiver of Drafts and another kiter where I ride has a quiver of Pivots. We have yet to try each other's kites but he loves his Pivots and I love my Drafts. I'll post when/if we ever swap.

Yet I believe the Pivot will be more of an "all-around" model.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Not ridden them but the draft is a high performance freeride/race kite (like the ozone edge) and the pivot is a wave kite with good freeride performance. Pick what fits best with you.

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Ok, Thanks for the replys :) I have a Draft 12 which I think has good ability of the low end, and goes upwind very well which I think is important. Pivot should have similar properties, but is it as good as the Draft? I am looking to maybe replace my Draft with a Pivot. I like these features of the Draft, but I dont like the high bar pressure, and slow turning, thinking that the pivot is more fun there.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Well I have both. I like the pivot better, but I am using it more for wave riding. I jumping draft and pivot goes equally high, but draft has more control and a slight advantage in hangtime. Pivot still has a lot of control, but you get a bit less of the elevator which i one of the things I like while riding the draft.

I think the bar pressure is slightly higher on draft, but neither is a problem in my mind.

To me this really comes down to what you like and how you ride. Pivot will pull a bit more while looping, and it'll be much tighter for sure. ...but draft is really easy going...but will take a longer time turning.

For power and fast kiting speed and upwind, hangtime...Draft wins: For everything else Pivot.

Edit: I do not have the newest Draft 12.

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:12 am

tautologies : Thank you for a very good answer , just what I was looking for.
I think I keep my Draft then. I have a 7 Pivot and soon I will get a 10. At these sizes I will go for waves sometimes, in size 12 I'd rather go on tt freeriding. If Draft 12 has slightly better low end it might fit better with the Pivot 10 , the sizes are quite close. My Draft is 2013/14.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Has thanked: 0

Postby flysurfing » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:37 am

Hello,

I suggest you to avoid the draft 12m... this kite is a truck, slow to turn and with a lot of bar pressure....

the 9 draft is much better ... i'd rather go for a 9/8 draft and 12 pivot if i were you.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 am

Pellesurf wrote:tautologies : Thank you for a very good answer , just what I was looking for.
I think I keep my Draft then. I have a 7 Pivot and soon I will get a 10. At these sizes I will go for waves sometimes, in size 12 I'd rather go on tt freeriding. If Draft 12 has slightly better low end it might fit better with the Pivot 10 , the sizes are quite close. My Draft is 2013/14.
Very nice. Yeah I think the 10 is a magic size for the pivots...well the 9 and 7 as well :-) I bet you have already experienced the 7 :-)
The 10..take it out powered, and send it...damn that kite goes.
If you like your drafts then no worries..I'd say keep it. I like to mix it up, but when you find that magic kite :-)

I did forget to say the pivot will turn quite a bit faster.

Edit: I disagree with Flysurfer...well...it is meant to turn as a truck :-)
If you do free riding and want to jump the draft is super fun...and the hangtime is unreal as you know.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:32 am

I havent ridden the draft. I was going to buy the 17m but my 14m pivot has so much liw end that i dont need it. My 12m pivot is my go to kite for jumping though. Even if im over powered on my 12 and should pump up my 9 i would still rather jump my 12m. So stable and prefictable that im trying tricks again that i gave up long ago due to not wanting to endure hard crashes anymore. I love these kites. Im worried the 2016 version might not be as good. I dont see how they can improve it !

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 am

The reason for me to change my Draft for Pivot is that the Pivot probably are more fun in terms of fast turns, response , lower bar pressure. I hesitate because the size 10 and 12 are too close, if I get a Pivot 14 instead I'm worried that it will be slower because of the larger size and will not be so fun.
At what wind is Pivot 14 most fun, and what is the minimum to get up in the wind with tt?

Return to “Kitesurfing”