Rare Poster
Local Beach: New England
Gear: Ozone and Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: I am a dealer for Ozone and Crazyfly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Some additional thoughts to consider.

Postby George at TPK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:17 pm

This has been a great learning experience. I had no idea we would create any kind of negative impact on the local community by hosting our Ultimate Ballance Retreat on the outer banks. I was under the impression that all business is good business.

As someone who strives to be considerate in every way, I am very glad for the education. I believe all of the points made here, as well as those not mentioned in this article, are valid.

People ask me all the time to host a trip somewhere. I decided to do so in a place I know well to better ensure the satisfaction of my guests. I am aware that conducting business off of the coast is prohibeted by law. For that reason this retreat was intended for accomplished students to celebrate their hard earned success with no lessons taught. The plan was for any students wanting additional lessons to take them from one of the local schools. We would have been happy to use a local chef but lacked the connections. Instead we decided to invite people whose work we know. As far as any profit taxes, we would have been happy to pay them.

In the end, if all issues cannot be adequately addressed at a given location we have no business going there. My hope is that there are some places where a retreat like ours can be hosted that is mutually beneficial for all parties involved. Why would we want anything else?
Last edited by George at TPK on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George at TPK
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New England
Gear: Ozone and Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: I am a dealer for Ozone and Crazyfly

Re: Hatteras island some term 'unfair' thoughts please.

Postby George at TPK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:34 pm

There are some wonderful posts on this forum that I wish more people could read. Thank you for all of the constructive thoughts.

WindyDaze
Rare Poster
Gear: Cab
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Some additional thoughts to consider.

Postby WindyDaze » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:52 pm

George at TPK wrote:This has been a great learning experience. I had no idea we would create any kind of negative impact on the local community by hosting our Ultimate Ballance Retreat on the outer banks. I was under the impression that all business is good business.

As someone who strives to be considerate in every way, I am very glad for the education. I believe all of the points made here, as well as those not mentioned in this article, are valid.

People ask me all the time to host a trip somewhere. I decided to do so in a place I know well to better ensure the satisfaction of my guests. I am aware that conducting business off of the coast is prohibeted by law. For that reason this retreat was intended for accomplished students to celebrate their hard earned success with no lessons taught. The plan was for any students wanting additional lessons to take them from one of the local schools. We would have been happy to use a local chef but lacked the connections. Instead we decided to invite people whose work we know. As far as any profit taxes, we would have been happy to pay them.

In the end, if all issues cannot be adequately addressed at a given location we have no business going there. My hope is that there are some places where a retreat like ours can be hosted that is mutually beneficial for all parties involved. Why would we want anything else?
George, you say above that "For that reason this retreat was intended for accomplished students to celebrate their hard earned success with no lessons taught."
The following is a copy/paste quote from your own website about your planned Hatteras trip - "Take your kiteboarding skill to the next level, whether perfecting your water start, working on jumps, or participate in downwind rides as a group. George will be available for clinics, lesson time, and guide services by request or popular demand."
"No lessons taught" yet "George will be available for lesson time"? Hmmm, what would Pinocchio say?
I wish the Outer Banks based kiteboarding businesses a very successful season, you've earned it.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:07 am

WindyDaze wrote:
George at TPK wrote:This has been a great learning experience. I had no idea we would create any kind of negative impact on the local community by hosting our Ultimate Ballance Retreat on the outer banks. I was under the impression that all business is good business.

George, you say above that "For that reason this retreat was intended for accomplished students to celebrate their hard earned success with no lessons taught."
The following is a copy/paste quote from your own website about your planned Hatteras trip - "Take your kiteboarding skill to the next level, whether perfecting your water start, working on jumps, or participate in downwind rides as a group. George will be available for clinics, lesson time, and guide services by request or popular demand."
"No lessons taught" yet "George will be available for lesson time"? Hmmm, what would Pinocchio say?
I wish the Outer Banks based kiteboarding businesses a very successful season, you've earned it.
Seriously windydaze if you have a business on the OuterBanks can you please name it so that I can avoid spending any money there. These people are offering bro like assistance, if you think I'm going to spend 250 an hour for intermediate instruction to land that one trick I'm working on you must be on crack... So in your world nobody wins, people don't go, resources are not consumed and your business does not benefit from the returning guests.
Get it together obx business people, you want our money, we are not stupid, give good value for good instruction at a good price and people will come.
Keep complaining, soon you will have nobody to support you. I was waiting to buy a new wetsuit and board bags, plus refill my repair kit till I got there, maybe it is not worth the wait..

WindyDaze
Rare Poster
Gear: Cab

Postby WindyDaze » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 am

Laughingman wrote:
WindyDaze wrote:

Seriously windydaze if you have a business on the OuterBanks can you please name it so that I can avoid spending any money there. These people are offering bro like assistance, if you think I'm going to spend 250 an hour for intermediate instruction to land that one trick I'm working on you must be on crack... So in your world nobody wins, people don't go, resources are not consumed and your business does not benefit from the returning guests.
Get it together obx business people, you want our money, we are not stupid, give good value for good instruction at a good price and people will come.
Keep complaining, soon you will have nobody to support you. I was waiting to buy a new wetsuit and board bags, plus refill my repair kit till I got there, maybe it is not worth the wait..
I'm in Florida and we don't charge $250 an hour. We're not extortionists. We have different opinions and that's OK.
Hope you have a great season and land that one trick all year long.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:41 am

WindyDaze wrote: I'm in Florida and we don't charge $250 an hour. We're not extortionists. We have different opinions and that's OK.
Okay so I meant 150/hour typo.... Anyhow it's ridiculous. We provide a full metal and woodworking shop and include a cnc, flat bed printers, skilled workers and only charge $70 an hour... You have virtually no overhead how can you justify $150 an hour?
Anyhow I respect that we have different opinions but if kite schools got real with their lesson charges you would basically eliminate the bro deals. One on one instruction should not cost more than $60 an hour. Anything more and it is extortion unless you are going to offer boat support like Ty does

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:44 am

Cry me a river especially about loss in equipment sales. I would love to be in your shoes. Most people in Canada buy from US and Canadian kite retail almost doesn't exist thanks to you. Even when not in Hatteras we buy on internet from you and ship it to Buffalo. The last time I ordered were Christmas presents in December from Hatteras shipped to Buffalo and I went from Toronto to pick it up. The same with Europeans. If they buy three kites in US the airfare is free. You have a problem with instructor who brings a bus load of students from places where kites cost way more? Give your head a shake. Subleasing the rooms? WTF you are talking about, everytime I was in charge of the lease I showed it to the guys and we split the cost. This is a PR disaster for you.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:03 am

BLOW KITE wrote:Hi All,
I was just told about this post and want to clarify a couple of things.

1) Articles never give a full explanation of the story, details are left out and people are misquoted. For example as Ty points out he said our season is 7 or 8 "months" not "weeks".

2) We love that Hatteras is all about groups of kiters, friends and family organizing trips to come here. That is why there is no shortage of vacation rental home options here as well as hotels and campsites. We are all excited to see you every season!!

The issue we all have is with the illegal outside kiteboarding businesses that set up here during our brief season. They rent out houses, sublet the rooms at inflated prices, sell gear, sell kite lessons, surf lessons and various other services that local Hatteras businesses exist for. We live here and this is how we make our living.

As North Carolina businesses we have expenses that the poachers, as referenced above, do not have. We have State and Federal Registrations and Taxes, Sales & Use Taxes, Insurance, Mortgages/Rent, Various Business Permits and Fees, National Park Service Fees for teaching and demo's, Hurricanes, Maintenance, the list goes on and on.

I saw that Blast out of the UK was on this thread earlier. Some of their group visited my shop and supported my business (next time bring beer). Great group. As far as I can see from their website they are not selling gear or lessons here...they are bringing a group of kiters to enjoy a trip to Hatteras. Here's a quote from their site:
"Please note we are NOT a travel agent and run these trips soley becuase we wish to bring together like minded people in some of the best kitesurfing destinations worldwide!"
That is cool.

In defense of some of the poachers they may not have thought about how what they are doing is wrong and illegal. For the others, imagine if the tables were truned. You would not appreciate it one bit.

We all welcome you to Hatteras and here's to a windy 2015 season!!
Terry
Hi Terry,

Are you talking about kiting instructors/entrepreneurs establishing themselves for the season in a house or schools coming down for a week or two? I think most of the latter are taking their own customers down to Hatteras.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:07 am

Laughingman wrote:
WindyDaze wrote: I'm in Florida and we don't charge $250 an hour. We're not extortionists. We have different opinions and that's OK.
Okay so I meant 150/hour typo.... Anyhow it's ridiculous. We provide a full metal and woodworking shop and include a cnc, flat bed printers, skilled workers and only charge $70 an hour... You have virtually no overhead how can you justify $150 an hour?
Anyhow I respect that we have different opinions but if kite schools got real with their lesson charges you would basically eliminate the bro deals. One on one instruction should not cost more than $60 an hour. Anything more and it is extortion unless you are going to offer boat support like Ty does
$60.00 an hour is fine if you have NO overhead including insurance, boat, shop, etc...Or if it blew almost every day. Does it blow every day in Canada, because it doesn't anywhere else I have been.

We have the same problems here in South Florida. Hope you guys in Hatteras figure something out.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:35 am

How do you make a small fortune in the kitesurfing business?.........
Start with a large one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”