Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Helping pretentious kitesurfers to identify themselves....

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Helping pretentious kitesurfers to identify themselves....

Postby plummet » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:17 am

1) You yell at people for getting in your way. Then you cut them off just to teach them a lesson.
2) You refuse to launch and land others.
3) You and point and laugh and make jokes rather then help newbies for making mistakes that you yourself made as a newbie.
4) You tell people off for getting to close people, riding between flags, not looking before turning, dropping in on waves.... The you proceed to do all of those things. But you can because you have more experience!
5) You get pissed off with learners riding through "your" spot. Even though you can simply tack 200m upwind to where no newbies can go....
6) You think that your kiting discipline is the pinnacle of all kitesurfing progression.
7) Anyone who thinks differently to you Is not as advanced or labelled a kook........... . . . . . . ..

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Helping pretentious kitesurfers to identify themselves..

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 am

You can't jump worth a shit cos all you ever have done is wakestyle and kite relaunching practice, then throw screechy hissy fits when someone else is having fun boosting in your vicinity cos you think it's dangerous, then refuse to acknowledge the jumper's presence for the next two years... and counting.

jeffreygandee
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: All
Gear: North Vegas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jeffreygandee » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:32 pm

I've been at this a long time, so I've ridden around both the pretensions a$$-hole crowd, as well as a whole ton of kooks. As kiting gets more accessible, the kook to a$$-hole ratio begins to favor the kooks.

I'll take pretentious riders over kooks all day. I don't drive out to the water just to have pleasant conversations on the sand, I'm there to kite. Kooks often come to the launch in packs, and when they do they will kill the vibe for everyone.

We've all been there. It's a perfect day of 25 mph SW wind. You're buddy is taking a break, and he ventures out into the water with a beer and a go pro. You take a nice tack to the outside, and then turn around to make a good run at the camera. You've been working on a new wake/airstyle trick, and today you are stomping it. As you finish your transition, another kiter transitions in front of you. Is it a man or woman? You can't tell because the rider is so covered in gear and is wearing a full wetsuit on an 80 degree day. The kook is now about 2 line lengths ahead of you, and it is inexplicably kiting at about 6 mph, a feat that can only be accomplished on a Spleen Door. The kook approaches the camera man, "boosts" about as high as a mail box, and then lifts it's legs to present it's balls to the go-pro (it's a man!) before eating shit. The kook will now spend 10 minutes downwind of the cameraman collecting his gear and his thoughts before short-tacking back to the camera to give it another go.

It isn't that the kook is a bad person, rather, most kooks just have really bad awareness on the water. Kiting is hard, and these people aren't ready to ride comfortably and considerately at the same time.

Meanwhile, the pretentious assholes simply give up trying to ride around the camera, and set up a rotation on a different area of nice water... but another kook approaches, riding slowly with the kite nearly overhead. The kook may as well be a 100 foot tree out in the middle of the water

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Riding level does not really matter we were all beginners once. What matters is if you take the time to ride polite. Always look before you jibe, don't jump when people are directly downwind of you. Give priority to who deserves it: like when someone is riding a wave or depending on the spot you are riding how priority works, Many times it is the jerks with a high level of riding being a..holes.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Informative threads! I now know that I'm a "pretentious kook", :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 pm

pj sofine wrote:Informative threads! I now know that I'm a "pretentious kook", :thumb:
lol. Me too

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:59 pm

8. Throwing unhooked tricks with the kite always crashing on the beach, where many bystanders walk by.
9. Continuously riding through swimmer zones and swimmers, even spraying them
10. Continuously breaking the rules of a spot.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:43 pm

#8 is my pet peeve. Miles and miles of open water and you gotta throw it down (and crash) 15ft from the shore in knee deep water just so the chicks can see, right over the ladies and kids.

Dick move.

Doesn't make it easy to convince ladies to join you again for a nice vacation if that is the crap they have to deal with while on the beach.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:05 pm

The one I hate, is when someone is following directly behind you and pretty close. you're heading to shore and its obvious that you want to turn round at some point. But the git behind you just sits there and runs you up the beach!

I've had this happen to me a lot by beginers. spacial awarness is very poor.

The best way to deal with it. Is just move up wind. No issue. no insults. no harm.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Kamikuza wrote:You can't jump worth a shit cos all you ever have done is wakestyle and kite relaunching practice, then throw screechy hissy fits when someone else is having fun boosting in your vicinity cos you think it's dangerous, then refuse to acknowledge the jumper's presence for the next two years... and counting.
I've seen this one for real! But the comment came from a guy who loves jumping. His complaint was that he never knows when surfboard riders are going to turn and that they are dangerous. Meanwhile, he spends his session doing big jumps and kiteloops right in front of the only (very small) spot to get in and out of the water...

Return to “Kitesurfing”