Forum for kitesurfers
shinn007
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foilboard yes or no?

Postby shinn007 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 am

Hi all,

I could use some advice. I'd like to be part of the upcoming foilboard hype but still have some doubts.
For light wind I currently use a Slingshot Turbine 17 and a North Nugget strapless. This gets me going at around 9 knots. Though i don't like big size kites, i do have fun.
  • If i get a foilboard, i probably could sell my Turbine..correct?
    I've got a 10 + 7m Rally below the Turbine. Would a foil and the 10 Rally get me going with 9 knots as well (200 lbs)?
    I did own a raceboard once but hated it, costs too much energy and for me there's no fun factor.
    Is a foilboard comparable with a raceboard, constantly have to pay attention in posture?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilboard yes or no?

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 am

on the selling of the 17 yes for sure.

I had foilboards and was riding them before I got a raceboard. I like a raceboard better.

I am sure I could get used to a foilboard again, but for now I'm resigning to not having one. I guess people are different.

Note that I had low aspect foils, and think the high AR foils might be more fun.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Yes! :jump:

I am 175 lbs and can ride in the lightest wind using a 12 m foil kite. If the kite will stay in the air, I am good to go. I have a medium aspect hydrofoil. If you are looing for light wind performance, a hydrofoil is the way to go.

Could you sell the 17 m Turbine? Yes.
Will you be able to ride at 9 knots with a 10 m Rally? Not sure, maybe. You're a little heavier than me. You might need a 12 m.

I haven't ridden a race board, so I can't compare that with a foilboard. On the foilboard you must really pay attention to balance and body/feet position in the beginning. Once you get used to it, you don't need to think about it much at all. The foot stance on the foilboard is much more natural and comfortable than it is on the raceboard--on which you lean over backwards very much.

What I like most about the foilboard:
--the ability to go out in the lightest of winds with an ordinary sized kite
--upwind ability
--when you turn downwind, it is silent with no wind in your ears. You can hear waves breaking around you, birds calling.
--working on something new.

Go for it! :thumb:

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:54 pm

I am the same weight – you could sell your turbine, but I still use my 17m for foiling in approx. 6knots. A 10m Rally would be fine in 9knots with good technique and a low aspect foil, but a 12m would be easier, especially for learning. I too have raceboards (which now rarely get used - so much so that I am converting one to a race-style hydrofoil board) – the difference is huge, one is locked in drilling, the other is gliding around on a hover board (think off-piste snowboarding in perfect powder) and you can go off and explore – as the pointing ability upwind is incredible and with a bit of practice you can go off the wind relatively easily.

BUT… learning is v painful and you will wonder why you even thought of trying to learn. When learning you do have to pay attention to posture, as you will get chucked off the moment you get it wrong – however, when it clicks, its great…. You can get on the board & virtually kick it to fly, in the past light winds have never been conditions I have looked forward to! I am about to go onto a high AR foil, as should be faster, whether it’s more fun, I’ll find out soon.

shinn007
Medium Poster

Postby shinn007 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks all.
I am now convinced I should get me a foilboard. Will try it first with the Rally 10 and if that doesn't work in the lowest winds, maybe i'll get a 12. And sell the 17 and the Nugget...

Any specific details I should look for in the foilboard?
I've been kiting since the first Wipika Classic and for the last 6 years strapless on surfboard. Not looking for a raceboard. Prefer more 'freeride'. Ride on the ocean, in light winds waves smaller than 1m.
The slingshot Alien Air looks ok. Think I will soon outgrow the LF Foil Fish. Zeeko looks good as well.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 pm

shinn007 wrote:Zeeko looks good as well.
:thumb: or a Moses

shinn007
Medium Poster

Postby shinn007 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Moses is now added to my list..

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:58 pm

YES YES YES.. get one!

I felt the same way...I wrote my learning experience in a series of blogs called "Learning how to use the Liquid Force Foil Board" there are three parts. It was designed for guys who were like me...skeptical, interested and wondering about the learning curve. you can find them at http://atlantickiteboarding.com/info/

shinn007
Medium Poster

Postby shinn007 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Nice blog, thanks!
Getting even more interested now...

ps make a link from part 1 to part2 and so on..

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:40 pm

My friend (great kiter) is learning to foil board.
He was out on his 9m kite with the new $2200 foil board.
I was on a 50 liter, egg shaped surfboard and a 14m kite.

Based on riding with him, I've made a few observations.

1. I'm happy with my light wind kit. It goes up wind and is fun in both flat water and waves.

2. The foil board is just the next incarnation of the race board. I don't miss my one season on a race board at all. I'm glad I sold it.

3. The America's Cup classic mono hull race was ruined by the evolution to catamarans on foils.

4. I need a foil board like I need to sell my bicycle and replace it with a uni-cycle?

Foil on my friends....... its just not for me. :-D

PS- Super thanks to ianNJ for sharing your foil experience. Great blog!
Last edited by windyway on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”