Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Edge vs "regular" kite

Postby wetdog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Guys,
so I'm riding Bandits 5 (7m2 and 10m2) and I'd like to buy a lightwind kite. I'm thinking 15m2+ I understand the Edge has a big wind range, and flies at the edge of the window, but does it also have more power than a regular "delta/hybrid/whatever" kite? If you would compare let's say a 15m Rebel (just an example) and a 15m2 Edge,would the Edge generate more power? I'm 200lbs, so I'm thinking a 17m2 LW kite together with my 7m2 and 10m2 would be a good quiver? Would that make sense?

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Pivots, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Moses Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Re: Ozone Edge vs "regular" kite

Postby TheRussian » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm about the same weight, I previously had Drafts and changed to Edges last year.

The Edges have good wind ranges and I have used my 17m from very low winds 6-7knots on a hydrofoil, up to a very maxed 25knots (gusting 28).

As for developing power, they do, but you can't pull the bar in and expect to plane away, as they develop power from a fast & efficient foil that needs good handling to develop airspeed over the foil. On a raceboard, you are flying in v low wind & more so on a hydrofoil.

Also, when other riders are going on 12m kites, you can boost with the 17m and it still is a nice sharp handling kite. For me, 17 to 10m would be too much of a jump & I have a 13m between, then 10 & 7m.

Overall, the 17m Edge is one of my all time favourite big kites and has the "rigid/punchy" feel of C-kites.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 pm

The russian is right. Its not a pull bar in and go kite. You need to build speed to crank upwind. Then once you do it cranks better than all other lei's. An efficient board makes a huge difference.

Generally their power is more than lower aspect kites and or you can take them to a lower wind speed before doing the walk of shame.

The only kites that I have seen that upwind better are the latest stupid high aspect race foils like the chrono.

At 82kg I roll a 13m edge as my biggest lei. That keeps me going in winds similar others on 15 and 17m kites.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:33 am

wetdog wrote: If you would compare let's say a 15m Rebel (just an example) and a 15m2 Edge,would the Edge generate more power?
I accidentally had a 2012 Edge 13m and a 2013 Rebel 14m at the same time at one point (bidding on 2 ebay auctions, didn't think I would win the Edge :D )

I tried them out back to back a few times to see which one to keep. I wound up going with the Edge. I'd say they had about the same lowend, but the Edge was noticably faster on my raceboard. Also, the Edge hung in the sky through the lulls better.

I don't know if that is the best comparison though because everyone says that the 2013 Rebels had less low end than other year rebels.

I also bought a 19m Edge to replace my 2011 18m Dyno, but had them both at the same time to try back to back. The 19m Edge isn't as good for low end on a twin tip because you have to get some speed up. I've flown them back to back on the beach when wind was too light to even get going on the raceboard and both kites were stable in the sky without a problem. The range of the Edge was definitely wider. I get out of control on the Dyno in 14 or 15 knots (I'm 165 lbs), but the Edge is still fun at 16-17 knots.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Postby Mikites » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:49 am

It really depends on you.. If your a skilled rider that can squeeze all the apparent wind available, yes the edge will have more useable power. If not than it will have less..

wetdog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012

Postby wetdog » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:33 am

Som interesting answers here, thanks. I'm currently only riding twin tips. I've been considering buying an Airush Sector, but not many second hand ones on the market where I live and a new one is too expensive for me. I'm not interested in a hydrofoil or raceboard at the moment. Is an Edge still worth buying as a LW option together with a TT or would you say it's a waste of money unless you get a raceboard or at least a directional like the Airush Sector/RRD K-Free?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:11 am

I tested 10m and can't comment on a bigger size. But, got a 16m NRG and you know what? Used it 2 times in last year or so.
The thrill and excitement of riding, jumping etc on a TT is so much more for me than riding a raceboard. It is a race kite, not durable in my opinion. And for your 200 kegs you'll need something a bit stronger, better built.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Lightwind on a twintip I would go with something else (contra, flite, etc.).

andrewkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: hood river
Favorite Beaches: la ventana, los barriles
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: ozone edge and RPM

Postby andrewkiter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:59 pm

The edge definitely has a wider range than any other kite.
My friend who is 25 pounds lighter than me and rides 9m C4 has a way harder time than me riding my 8m edge. Also I'm way better powered than my friend who rides 9m rebel, even though he's also lighter.

I have 2 2015 edges for sale 13m and an 8m both in excelent conditions

knot_moving
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: 9m, 13m bandit 3, SS Turbine,
Underground FLX 138, Sector V2 60, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:40 am

I dont rode edges - i have velocity but similar kite. I would not characterize it as a powerful kite like the bandit is powerful. I would call it a really efficient kite. Closest to Bandit that i have flown for light wind is a 17m bandit (but they only made 3 i hear!) and the Contra. Maybe the Core XR3.

Return to “Kitesurfing”