Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite reviews

Forum for kitesurfers
hightimes
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Kite reviews

Postby hightimes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Written kite reviews are worthless without a good video to show the kite actually flying.
Enough with stories about chickenloops and kitebags.
Who gives a shit about the zippers on the bag or the color of the lines.
Also remember to show the kite in the footage and not only the rider.
So next time don't bother writing about inflation valves and pigtails we want to see the damn thing in action before we scoot out $1000 for the latest and greatest.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: Kite reviews

Postby whabbits » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:35 pm

There's been some good independent reviews done here in the past year.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383535

Ian in NJ does some good ones.

The Germans have Gleiten TV which rarely is translated to English but they are rarely translatted to English.

http://gleiten.tv/

quicky
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Mui Ne
Style: quicky
Gear: North Rebels, owned Cabrinhas BT, Co2, Nitros and Contra 2001-2005, Flexi Ions 2006-2007 and Rebels and vegas 2008-2011
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby quicky » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:53 pm

i don't speak a word in German, but don't really need an English translation from gleiten either. Watching the same guy test different kites in similar conditions is the best way to figure out what these kites are good for. Thus, I am still sceptical of the 2014-15 Evos based on both official videos and gleiten reviews as 2014-15 Rebels appear more suitable for freestyle. As a disclaimer I don't fly either. just my 2c.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Fri May 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Subject: Kite reviews
hightimes wrote:Written kite reviews are worthless without a good video to show the kite actually flying.
Enough with stories about chickenloops and kitebags.
Who gives a shit about the zippers on the bag or the color of the lines.
Also remember to show the kite in the footage and not only the rider.
So next time don't bother writing about inflation valves and pigtails we want to see the damn thing in action before we scoot out $1000 for the latest and greatest.
I am personally more interested in small details, rather than someone's subjective opinion on the kite or 20 second edit of some pro-rider in perfect conditions... Hell, most brands dialed basic flying properties of their kites to the point that there are no terrible flying kits out there anymore.. but there are different expectations of quality and attention to detail.. One example: Fone -they make great flying kites, no doubt.. but last time I checked they, were still putting narrow, "inflatable beach toy" valves
on them and pushing you to buy 2 bars instead of making adjustable-width setup. I also had zippers fall off the bags after 1 month of use - not cool, considering that you just dumped 1-2 grands on this shiny new toy.. and chicken loops - no secret that some brands/years have more tendency to slide off your harness hook for no good reason.. so all those things are important (for me :-) )

Return to “Kitesurfing”