Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha 2016

Postby shawn13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 am

greginkw wrote:Cory at Ocean Extreme Sports has been working on an easy to read blog summarising most of the changes and new products from Cabrinha, here is what we have so far.
http://oceanextremesports.com/blogs/new ... rding-gear

thanks
Greg
For the SB and FX it says whats new for 2016, but for the Contra is just say 2016 Features.

Does this mean that the Contra is the same as the 2015 Contra but just different colours? Which would actually make it the same as the 2014 Contra...?

Stuitrover
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Veerse Dam, Zeeland, The Netherlands
Zandvoort
Brand Affiliation: www.windsurfschool.nl

Postby Stuitrover » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks Droffats and Experienced1 for taking the measurements!

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:32 am

my opinion ... the surf videos of the three surfboards models and the drifter kite are amazing. They are surfing the wave. Getting in and out of the barrel, cut backs, hitting the lip, very good bottom turns and more. I am going to give another chance to the Drifter kite. I like their 2015 secret weapon and the phenom. I will demo the 2016 boards again.

greginkw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 am

Hi Shawn, I am not sure if there are any changes to the Contra yet, most people we have sold them to love them the way they are so maybe there are none. The only requests I have had regarding the Contra is that some of our customers wish there was smaller sizes available. Once we get them in stock we will test them ourselves and post our findings.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:18 pm

norcom wrote:Any news on the Cabrinha race bars?

So just my personal opinion below: stop reading if you're a Cab fanboi and/or easily upset:

The 2016 Cab promo videos are pretty bland. The guy repeats himself over and over with ughs and ums in between. Why didn't he have a script? Sounds like someone standing up in class and reporting on a topic they were barely prepared for. Or is he just some badass kiter Cab thought would be great to hear on the video? In my opinion these promos were the worst ones in the last few years. Maybe I just don't know who the guy is and if I did and cared, I would be sold. Different market group I guess.

The designer notes made me laugh. No real details on what has actually changed in size/spec and by how much. But that's because the dimensions are a secret through the years. Though if we, as consumers, had that information through the years. We could compare the different models and give ourselves a sense of understanding of what we may like and what we may not. Something other than: this one flies better. But why?

But hey; -=2016=- ! NEW COLORS! and they're FASTER, relaunch BETTER, with MORE UPWIND! :lol: As opposed to any other marketing video where they tell you that "This year the kite barely flies, super slow, sometime sinks and doesn't relaunch at all. But all that was sacrificed to add extra stickers with blinking lights". </sarcasm>

I'm happy with my 2012 Switchblades and would buy another one in a heartbeat if the price was right. Other than the 2013, since it had bad reviews. I'm really curious as to what dimensions kite/bridle actually made the 2013 get such negative feedback from a lot of the posts I've read.
the 2013 switchblade was a totally different kite from the 2012. people hate change which is why it got bad reviews IMO. Personally I think if they had called the 2013 switchblade a different name it would have gotten awesome reviews, they just made the mistake of calling it a switchblade.

i had the 14m and 7m switchblades back in 2013. The 14m actually relaunched. which was amazing because the 2012 didn't unless you were either lit or in shallow enough water to stand. the 7m was super fun for boosting, waves and loops.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Hey norcom:
no race bars for 2016. The 2016 fixed Trimlite is very similar but cleaner with better QR...and standard lines rather than race lines.

Voice Over: I wasn't there but the voice sounds like one of the Cabrinha riders and rep who has actually ridden and tested all the gear. Not a paid professional voicce :)

Regarding SB:
2013 was a redesign of the SB repsonding or a faster kite with less bar pressure. BOTH were accomplished. However, at the expense of a bit of loss, at the low end that many loved. This was compounded by the fact that the outside line bridle connection was a bit too long. This was corrected by just tying a 4th knot above the others and still flying the kite on the 2nd knot from the end. 2014/2015 the missing low end returned.
2016 is a redesign year and in my opinion the best SB ever. I usually fly the Velocity on my twin tip and the Drifter on the surfboard. This year I am really liking the SB. Very smooth flying, with smoother power deliivery. To me the previous SBs yanked you off the water...the 2016 just lifts you off the water; easier to ollie, set the edge and jump.
steve
Last edited by experienced1 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:16 pm

experienced1 wrote:Hey norcom:
no race bars for 2016. The 2016 fixed Trimlite is very similar but cleaner with better QR...and standard lines rather than race lines.

Voice Over: I wasn't there but the voice sounds like one of the Cabrinha riders and rep who has actually ridden and tested all the gear. Not a paid professional voicce :)

Regarding SB:
2013 was a redesign of the SB repsonding for a faster kiter with less bar pressure. BOTH were accomplished. However, at the expense of a loss, a bit of low end that many loved. This was compounded by the fact that the outside line bridle connection was a bit too long. This was corrected by just tying a 4th knot above the others and still flying the kite on the 2nd knot from the end. 2014/2015 the missing low end returned.
2016 is a redesign year and in my opinion the best SB ever. I usually fly the Velocity on my twin tip and the Drifter on the surfboard. This year I am really liking the SB. Very smooth flying, with smoother power deliivery. To me the previous SBs yanked you off the water...the 2016 just lifts you off the water; easier to ollie, set the edge and jump.
steve
Thanks for the info! I love my 65cm race bar. It works great with my bigger kites. Love the huge trim range. It's also the only race bar that I could find in 65cm. The race lines have grown on me but I don't think they'll last long. I like the old "crazy" QR's for self launching from an anchor because when/if you release, the chicken loop stays attached to the anchor. Not a fan of everything else about that QR.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want

Postby C Johnson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 pm

the 1XL overdrive bar for 2016 can adjust to 65cm so you can still get that giant bar feel :P
norcom wrote:
experienced1 wrote:Hey norcom:

Regarding SB:
2013 was a redesign of the SB repsonding for a faster kiter with less bar pressure. BOTH were accomplished. However, at the expense of a loss, a bit of low end that many loved. This was compounded by the fact that the outside line bridle connection was a bit too long. This was corrected by just tying a 4th knot above the others and still flying the kite on the 2nd knot from the end. 2014/2015 the missing low end returned.
steve
Thanks for the info! I love my 65cm race bar. It works great with my bigger kites. Love the huge trim range. It's also the only race bar that I could find in 65cm. The race lines have grown on me but I don't think they'll last long. I like the old "crazy" QR's for self launching from an anchor because when/if you release, the chicken loop stays attached to the anchor. Not a fan of everything else about that QR.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:24 pm

C Johnson wrote:the 1XL overdrive bar for 2016 can adjust to 65cm so you can still get that giant bar feel :P
Would love to find just the bar for sale, so I can switch length on the fly. The race bar comes with the trim cleat and the huge trim range for my 18m's. I want both but not for the price of two bars.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:34 pm

norcom wrote:
C Johnson wrote:the 1XL overdrive bar for 2016 can adjust to 65cm so you can still get that giant bar feel :P
Would love to find just the bar for sale, so I can switch length on the fly. The race bar comes with the trim cleat and the huge trim range for my 18m's. I want both but not for the price of two bars.
Wait a year and you will find new ones for half price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”