Forum for kitesurfers
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Phone that will work IN salt water

Postby Grizwald » Sun May 10, 2015 4:57 pm

I know this is a topic that has been discussed before but cell phone offerings change by the day.

Does anyone know of a cell phone that will work while you are sitting in the water after you have done something stupid or the god's have just decided to mess with you? I am not talking about updating my facebook page while bobbing several miles off shore, I am more interested in reaching someone with a boat or if you are really in the soup 911.

Most of the current ads talk about phones that can take being immersed and then working when you are on dry land but they are very coy about addressing the in water emergency use.

thanks for your thoughts

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Phone that will work IN salt water

Postby TomW » Sun May 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi, I work for Sony Mobile and we have made waterproof IP68 telephones a long time. If you put them in a zip lock bag, and then in a secure pocket, preferably like a pocket on a flotation vest. they will survive kitesurfing.
If you kite in saltwater you will have problems eventually . Salt messes the seals up.
And using touch screen when wet doesn't work very well. That's never been the intention, and is challenging technical solution To make it work. This is why it's not recommended. Plus, waterproof when using buttons underwater requires even more complex button seals. Some of our phones allow use of buttons underwater to take a photo.
Salt water touch is ever more tricky.
That said, I've used my phone when wet, have wet hands. But I was on SUP. In water, in trouble? I'd never depend on it.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun May 10, 2015 8:00 pm

get yourself a cheap monochrome lcd phone with buttons and stick it inside a condom. Put emergency numbers on the speed dial.
The monochrome lcd is easy to read in direct sunlight and with even a little bit of extra air inside the condom it will float.
Even with the condom on you will be able to hear and speak clearly.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Has thanked: 0

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon May 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Put an old style cheap phone with buttons, not touch screen, in a specific waterproof bag for phones that straps on your arm(aqua pack do them) and assign buttons to speed dial. These have a lot more tear resistance than a condom, but do lack a bit of feeling :lol: Not 100% and not to be totally relied on, but better than most ive tried. I use this after I had a heck of a swim in when my kite punctured and collapsed in the sky. Worse, a dinghy sailor drowned here last year, no drama, just drifted further and further out in light winds and tried to swim back when it got dark. A phone would possibly have saved his life...

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:Put an old style cheap phone with buttons, not touch screen, in a specific waterproof bag for phones that straps on your arm(aqua pack do them) and assign buttons to speed dial. These have a lot more tear resistance than a condom, but do lack a bit of feeling :lol: Not 100% and not to be totally relied on, but better than most ive tried. I use this after I had a heck of a swim in when my kite punctured and collapsed in the sky. Worse, a dinghy sailor drowned here last year, no drama, just drifted further and further out in light winds and tried to swim back when it got dark. A phone would possibly have saved his life...
spot on advice - when I'm on my own I take one of these in an aquabag

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon May 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Ah yeah, the 2710, I've got one flying around.. they go dead cheap now, battery lasts forever, sound is great.

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Mon May 11, 2015 10:19 pm

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 11, 2015 10:25 pm

TomW wrote:Hi, I work for Sony Mobile and we have made waterproof IP68 telephones a long time. If you put them in a zip lock bag, and then in a secure pocket, preferably like a pocket on a flotation vest. they will survive kitesurfing.
If you kite in saltwater you will have problems eventually . Salt messes the seals up.
And using touch screen when wet doesn't work very well. That's never been the intention, and is challenging technical solution To make it work. This is why it's not recommended. Plus, waterproof when using buttons underwater requires even more complex button seals. Some of our phones allow use of buttons underwater to take a photo.
Salt water touch is ever more tricky.
That said, I've used my phone when wet, have wet hands. But I was on SUP. In water, in trouble? I'd never depend on it.
Your new model is awesome. The camera on it is really really nice.

spatty99
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m

Postby spatty99 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:18 pm

The Samsung S5 is completely waterproof (the S6 is not). I've taken mine snorkeling and swimming and even taken underwater pics. The screen response gets iffy when wet, but is still workable. It has a built in cover for the usb port that needs to be in place underwater (you only move it to charge anyway). The speaker and headphone jack hold some water, but that is easily shaken or blown out. Can't imagine why salt would be an issue if you can rinse it sometime after the swim.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Fri May 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I looked at the SPOT Gps and while it is a good idea the reviews imply that it doesn't quite live up to billings. It didn't handle the water on the back of a kayak, had spurious readings when placed on top of a backpack.
The S5 samsung seems like it might be a good answer. The tech-team ran over it with an SUV put it in a pool for an hour and finally in a full cycle of a washing machine. Didn't quite make it through the washing machine, but when dried out worked.
So I am thinking that wrapped in foam in a pelican case and tied to my old and tired body it might be pretty good insurance for the next time I do something stupid or the Gods just mess with me.
thanks
Griz

Return to “Kitesurfing”