Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Just another death loop

Postby Toby » Tue May 12, 2015 5:04 pm

TommyDelly wrote:I think the best way is to do an unhooked pre-flight check and then hook in and launch.

So, just connect your leash, tell your helper to put the kite in the launch position, one hand on the chickenloop and the other on the bar, when the lines get tension check for tangles and crossed lines, then hook in and give the signal.
I am sure this is the safest way to launch, its basically just like tethered launch but with a helper.

And i think this is a compromise for you guys :D you can check the kite before hooking in and you dont need to launch unhooked, win-win right :thumb: :bye:
sounds like an excellent solution! :thumb:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Today's handyman special is dedicated to the guy who had the balls to share his own f*** up video.
It can happen to anyone. Thanks!!!
2015-05-12 12.13.43.jpg
2015-05-12 12.13.43.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 1445 times

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Tks for sharing. u lucky not to b hurt. hope others can learn from your mistake

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue May 12, 2015 5:56 pm

marlboroughman wrote: ..
Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 18.57.34.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 18.57.34.png (28.33 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
... .
why leave that huge thingy on your spreader? next time you go over the fence you've got a hole in your board; and you add unnecessary lever (toe side) and distance (arm length) to your attachment point. Just get rid of it and weld a D ring onto it, if you don't like a sliding solution.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby borist » Tue May 12, 2015 6:10 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
The attachment 2015-05-12 12.13.43.jpg is no longer available
Are you sure QR loop will clear every time? I've tried similar hook up, same spreader, same bar, and it seemed to me that there is not much of clearance for the metal "ring" on the end of QR loop to clear spreader "eyelet". It seem to catch at certain angle and could in Mr. Murphy's moment get stuck
Attachments
swtitch QR.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 pm

borist wrote: Are you sure QR loop will clear every time? I've tried similar hook up, same spreader, same bar, and it seemed to me that there is not much of clearance for the metal "ring" on the end of QR loop to clear spreader "eyelet". It seem to catch at certain angle and could in Mr. Murphy's moment get stuck
very good point borist.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 12, 2015 6:34 pm

All good points. This spreader is from the lady's harness that I use to teach with Ozone CL that passes trough no problem. The idea is not to have students using the hook ever again. Welded D ring is a good idea but I think I will go with heavier webbing with larger D ring and good looks. Older Cabrinha depower main line instead of CL is the ultimate for my use.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Tue May 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Toby wrote:
TommyDelly wrote:I think the best way is to do an unhooked pre-flight check and then hook in and launch.

So, just connect your leash, tell your helper to put the kite in the launch position, one hand on the chickenloop and the other on the bar, when the lines get tension check for tangles and crossed lines, then hook in and give the signal.
I am sure this is the safest way to launch, its basically just like tethered launch but with a helper.

And i think this is a compromise for you guys :D you can check the kite before hooking in and you dont need to launch unhooked, win-win right :thumb: :bye:
sounds like an excellent solution! :thumb:
A solution to what exactly? He's just described a standard assisted launch.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue May 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks again to the guy who had the balls to post this. Videos like this are invaluable resources for everyone to learn from, including hopefully the industry. It cannot be easy showing the world where you messed up.

Lot of great lessons learned
1. Do not self launch when you do not have to and ask for a launch. I think most people get that especially when he almost pulls the head off the guy standing by his kite.

2. Things can go bad really quick and at best you need to mentally go through what you are going to do. I mentally go through in my mind pulling the QR before I launch, but this happened so fast I am not sure if I (or most people) could react fast enough.

3. A lot has been said about the fact that there is no need to self launch in this case. But also there are three people sitting there. If you see someone doing this, jump up and offer a launch. And if they say they got it tell them you insist. You may not think it is your responisbility and if they get hurt then it is their fault, but you should be selfish and worry about your own access. If there was a family downwind and he took a kid out, I bet that beach would get banned for kiting. Does not matter who did it, you aint going to be kiting there any more

4. The current equipment exists because it has reached critical mass, and not necessarily the best possible design. I think this is clear from the fact that most people do not unhook, but the gear is designed as if everyone does. Most people would be much safer with a short leash connected to the front of the harness, but that is not easy to find. Even most beginner rigs are sold with a long leash and a handle pass connection. As shown most people probably do not benefit from the current hook and CL design.

So I got a couple of questons, because I am not sure what I would have done.
1) If you are this guy face down with a line wrap, what can you do? Seems like a pretty helpless situation, and maybe the best example of the need for a kite knife. This is really scary to watch.
2) If you are the girl what would you do. My first reaction would for sure not ask any questions. I think I would have instinctually tried to jump on the kite, but that could go bad quick. Or would you try to jump on the guys back? Would an extra hundred pounds holding the kite down stop anything or make it worse?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue May 12, 2015 9:26 pm

SSK wrote:Would an extra hundred pounds holding the kite down stop anything
100 pounds won't do anything, 1 ton might but better is 3 or 4 tons.

Return to “Kitesurfing”