Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How many gallon air tank to fill a kite.

Forum for kitesurfers
Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How many gallon air tank to fill a kite.

Postby Clarencephil » Thu May 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Laughingman wrote:
dyyylan wrote:you know it takes about 30 seconds to pump up a kite by hand, right?
Hah... I'll be rigged and ready to go... Not fatigued before you finish running your lines. And have more energy to ride. Pumping kites by hand is a waste of energy.
To each their own but enough with the suck it up buttercup crap. Not helpful and totally off topic.
Frankly, I think pumping is a good warm-up before going on the water.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Clarencephil wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
dyyylan wrote:you know it takes about 30 seconds to pump up a kite by hand, right?
Hah... I'll be rigged and ready to go... Not fatigued before you finish running your lines. And have more energy to ride. Pumping kites by hand is a waste of energy.
To each their own but enough with the suck it up buttercup crap. Not helpful and totally off topic.
Frankly, I think pumping is a good warm-up before going on the water.
You need to "warm-up" before you kiteboard? LOL, If I needed to warm up before kiting I certainly would not choose pumping a kite, using cold back muscles in an awkward position... what do you do to warm up before you pump up?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Warm up.... whatever. Pumped twice yesterday.... under a minute each. Had to bring the pump because I had the beach to myself.

I realize its different if your a rep pumping a ton of kites or one of those weird people with really big kites, but my honest preference for a simple hand pump...... its not a huge loss if its gets stolen. In fact my new pumps are almost too nice to use! Just think how pissed you'd be if someone walked off with your Core pump! Those things are digitally calibrated!

Most places these days you don't wanna leave your good flip flops unattended, let alone your shades or wallet/phone. I leave the absolute minimum at the launch. If I'm feeling secure about it, its a kite bag with only the pump and my T shirt. When the beach is crowded with out of towners, I often don't even bring that and leave it all in the car. Nothing says seasoned like walking up to the dudes with their full quiver of kites and boards in a golf cart with the right sized kite wrapped in your harness and a strapless surfboard under your arm. Those guys will fight over who gets to loan you their pump, and probably offer you a beer from their cooler when your done!

If I could kite from my own yard..... of course I'd want a compressor, but at absolutely none of our launches could you run a hose from your truck. In fact carrying a compressed bottle of air or heavy electric pump that far could well be more work than pumping your kite old school. I guess its only a good solution if it actually solves a problem. I find it much less work to jog back to the car with only one kite to exchange it for another, than to huff everything I own in one load like a pack mule....mind you those guys probably get a better warm up!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Starsky wrote:Warm up.... whatever. Pumped twice yesterday.... under a minute each. Had to bring the pump because I had the beach to myself.

I realize its different if your a rep pumping a ton of kites or one of those weird people with really big kites, but my honest preference for a simple hand pump...... its not a huge loss if its gets stolen. In fact my new pumps are almost too nice to use! Just think how pissed you'd be if someone walked off with your Core pump! Those things are digitally calibrated!

Most places these days you don't wanna leave your good flip flops unattended, let alone your shades or wallet/phone. I leave the absolute minimum at the launch. If I'm feeling secure about it, its a kite bag with only the pump and my T shirt. When the beach is crowded with out of towners, I often don't even bring that and leave it all in the car. Nothing says seasoned like walking up to the dudes with their full quiver of kites and boards in a golf cart with the right sized kite wrapped in your harness and a strapless surfboard under your arm. Those guys will fight over who gets to loan you their pump, and probably offer you a beer from their cooler when your done!
!
lol... my electric pump with my 7ah Lipo battery weights in at 6.8 lbs...I can manage it, I get a great warm up walking 10' from the back of my truck to where I need pump my kite. I might even be able to shotgun a beer from your cooler if you toss it to me quick.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu May 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Shotgun.... now that's a proper warm up.....

At our most used launch you would have to run your compressor hose across a few lanes of traffic..... it would also have to be about 500m long.

I'm really just seeing it through the lens of my own kiting..... I would love to have drive up launches and a compressor. I'd also love to kite Hawaii, Brazil, South Africa, Australia, and Hatteras on a yearly schedule, but its not likely to happen.

I still wanna see a pull cord powered impeller pump.

OBX Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Secret Spot, Virginia; Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, Garda
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Jimmy Lewis boards.
Been thanked: 0

Postby OBX Kiter » Thu May 21, 2015 10:31 pm

It's a Man Law if you're over 50, you don't have to pump your kites by hand. :rollgrin:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 am

Starsky that is the great thing about living in Texas. Pretty much every place we kite has parking right there. If it's the beach well you just drive on the beach. Compressor all ways has 100+ PSI for the shit wind days and the 14m.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Tue May 26, 2015 5:34 am

Two Comments...

1 At all competitions the organizers provide compressed air for the competitors and they ain't no slackers.

2 They still do it wrongly. You should allow the Bernoulli principle to induce air. So get your compressed air pistol, point it in the hole but stay about an inch and a half away, aim center, and let it rip, it will induce surrounding air and fill many times faster.

Hey, what about using Helium?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

2 They still do it wrongly. You should allow the Bernoulli principle to induce air. So get your compressed air pistol, point it in the hole but stay about an inch and a half away, aim center, and let it rip, it will induce surrounding air and fill many times faster.
Does that result in more or less condensation and oil being blown into the kite than holding the nozzle right up to the valve? :naughty:

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Tue May 26, 2015 6:42 pm

BWD wrote:
Does that result in more or less condensation and oil being blown into the kite than holding the nozzle right up to the valve? :naughty:
Less, but if you are worried about that, a handful of sand will absorb it fir ya! :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”