Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How many gallon air tank to fill a kite.

Forum for kitesurfers
kitejunky1
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How many gallon air tank to fill a kite.

Postby kitejunky1 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I have hand pumped for years, but i am getting a train horn on my RV and figured why not use it to pump my kites as well. Thanks for all the helpful input and even the not so helpful opinions. Andy

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 19, 2015 12:06 am

kitejunky1 wrote:i am getting a train horn on my RV
Dang....I like that idea!!! Pump your kite; blow your horn.... I want a train horn on my twin tip!! :naughty:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue May 19, 2015 12:21 am

kitejunky1 wrote: ...
Thanks for all the helpful input and even the not so helpful opinions. Andy
Some good, some Not so kind ; at the expense of being boring :
"would Ya want any other way" ?

I certainly wouldn't !! ------------------ :D

Bille

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Laughingman wrote:
dyyylan wrote:you know it takes about 30 seconds to pump up a kite by hand, right?
Hah... I'll be rigged and ready to go... Not fatigued before you finish running your lines. And have more energy to ride. Pumping kites by hand is a waste of energy.
To each their own but enough with the suck it up buttercup crap. Not helpful and totally off topic.
If you worry about getting fatigued from pumping a kite you shouldn't be kiting in the first place.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue May 19, 2015 8:09 pm

Frank82 wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
dyyylan wrote:you know it takes about 30 seconds to pump up a kite by hand, right?
Hah... I'll be rigged and ready to go... Not fatigued before you finish running your lines. And have more energy to ride. Pumping kites by hand is a waste of energy.
To each their own but enough with the suck it up buttercup crap. Not helpful and totally off topic.
If you worry about getting fatigued from pumping a kite you shouldn't be kiting in the first place.
Yah who asked you

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Tue May 19, 2015 8:14 pm

I want to see Dyyylan pump my 15 m kite in 30 seconds. Really? Do you melt many pump shafts (aluminum)? How about a 17m Fat Lady? In 30 seconds? I see the benefit of a compressor.

I like my hand pumps. They're lightweight, portable, and quiet. I make more noise huffing and puffing ('cause I wanna get out there ASAP) than my pump does. I like that about them. I kite partly for the quiet of it all. But if somebody wants to use a compressor--go for it.

When I'm working on a leaky kite at home in my garage, I use my compressor. 25 gallon 100 psi tank. Never cycles with multiple pump-ups (to find ALL those nasty little pinholes). Just a rough guide.

Don

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue May 19, 2015 11:09 pm

Used to take ~90 pumps to do my biggest with a crappy pump. Thanks to Roger at XLkites.com I'm pumping first class with a Cab pump. Things a monster ~50 pumps.... That's well under a minute.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed May 20, 2015 7:18 am

How many gallon air tank to fill a kite.
Don't get air tank but a helium tank. Your kite will fly better.. :naughty:

--

But seriously about the topic - electric compressor. If you need to carry the electric compressor to the beach it most likely takes you more energy than pumping. Typical kiters I see carry two-three kites, 2 boards to shore line. Add there the electric pump, another 5-6kg bag. My friends have a couple of BST electric pumps but they never ever bother to carry it.

Considering air tanks. You probably cannot self-fill 200bar scuba tanks. 135psi cheap compressor equals to about 9 bars. 9bars on a 10l tank is 90l of air. If kite requires roughly 200l of air and you want to be able to fill 5 kites, with 9 bars to get 1000l of air means 111l tank = 29 gallons (of some US gallon type). Also I suspect cheap compressors might leak some oil to pressurized air? So to get 1000 liters of air to a small light weight bottle on high pressure for most of us is not a good idea. And Scuba tanks weight > 10kg and hold about 2000l of air at roughly 200bars.

For example small 1.5l tank with 200bar = 300l of air which equals one and half kites filled.

So to summarize, electric compressor sounds better option than air tank.

--
As I talked with liters (l) which is SI unit (Système International d'Unités). SI unit liters to US gallons, 1000l = 227 US dry measure gallons which is 264 US liquid gallons :) :).

SI unit for mass is kg - 5-6kg = roughly 11-12lbs.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 am

I have pumped up kites in every way you can think of in the last 15 years... from scuba tanks to electric pumps with tanks and a 50' hose in the back of my truck.

I have a 30lbs alum propane tank that I converted into a air thank that a has 480Viair compressor on it, 100% duty cycle at 120psi. When I was a rep I had to pump 4-7 kites at the beach for people to try.. ( it was a back saver)

now I am looking at a SUP pump a lot of my friends in the UK are using them and love them... take half the pumps to pump up any kite. they are double the size. But get ready to open your pocket books at $120-$150 a pop. not the 20-40 a pop like kite pumps. It all comes down to what you want to do... my new flites don't take nothing to pump up small struts and leading edge.. but I have everything to put the electic back In my truck so you never know.
here is a complete kit and if you blow a tire or need to use a impact to take off a tire you are set in your motorhome

http://www.viaircorp.com/oba-dual444C.html

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

when I had the pump in my old truck it would never shut off at the beach , everyone wanted to use it... just saying

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Think of it this way for every atmosphere you compress you shrink the size of the vessel required.

1 bar = 14.7 psi = 1 atmosphere

So based on 200L requirement.

volume/atmospheres = vessel size.

200l/10 bar=20l

Return to “Kitesurfing”