Forum for kitesurfers
alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips and advice on 4 students : 1 instructor

Postby alamos_kiter » Sun May 24, 2015 10:57 am

Roberto, I wish more instructors would think like you. The average new kiter over here does not know how to trim a kite, how to self rescue, how to work the kite producing apparent wind, how to body drag, how to hit the QR, never heard of basic rules on the water when crossing another kiter (lower your kite...), no clue about basic weather patterns, basic behavior on the beach (cluttering the beach with rigged kites, standing with kite at 12 on water's edge for hours...), no nothing. They learn rigging, launching, relaunching, getting up on the board, and paying the kite school.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Tue May 26, 2015 2:23 am

:thumb: alamos,

Learning how to kitesurf isn't rocket science, but there is lot more to a responsible and professional lesson than just showing someone how to fly a kite and let them drag in the water. I think a lot of instructors get away with selling inadequate lessons by trying to deliver "insant gratification". The problem is that most students have no idea what a really good set of lessons is supposed to be, so they have no basis to question.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 am

Toby wrote:best lessons: 1 student : 1 instructor

:thumb: to all schools who do it like that...this is QUALITY !

And quality has its price.
Exactly, you get what you pay for, although 1 kite 2 students can often be better as it helps students learn by watching each others mistakes.

I can't believe some schools still refer to IKO. What a joke , a true kook factory.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Thu May 28, 2015 2:55 am

windmaker wrote: Exactly, you get what you pay for, although 1 kite 2 students can often be better as it helps students learn by watching each others mistakes.

I agree with that comment. If the students are matched up well and they are progressing at a complemetary rate this can be a good option. It gives the student "on deck" the chance to wathc good/bad technique while listening to the instructor make play-by-play commentary. It also give each student a chance to rest while they absorb from observation of the other student.

Even better is if these 2-students form a support group between themselves for practicing and assisting after/between lessons as they continue practicing and progressing. For myself it is always nice to know that a new student has someone else who can can help them after lessons and be "sympathetic" during the learning phase because although many are very helpful, (let's face it) a lot of the regular riders just want to ride and not spend 2-3 hrs coaching someone, helping them set-up/launch/land, etc..

Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair

Postby posty » Sat May 30, 2015 1:32 am

What, people still do that?

Sounds risky and they don't get the attention they need.
Do they pay less or is the lesson much longer?
Might as well do 2 at the time and bring some quality.

Return to “Kitesurfing”