Rare Poster
Gear: Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

skimboard choice

Postby drago » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi all
I have been thinking of getting a skimboard for light wind days and to get better at strapless the 2 I have been looking at are the nobile and the crazyfly 2015 can anyone give me there opinion on these two boards
also opinions oncircle one skimboars would be cool
thanks

PeterB
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Wight
Gear: CORE GTS4 7,9,12
Slingshot Turbine 2012 17m

Re: skimboard choice

Postby PeterB » Sat May 23, 2015 9:35 pm

drago wrote:Hi all
I have been thinking of getting a skimboard for light wind days and to get better at strapless the 2 I have been looking at are the nobile and the crazyfly 2015 can anyone give me there opinion on these two boards
also opinions oncircle one skimboars would be cool
thanks
I am riding an old school, (08 maybe!?!?), nobile at the moment. Its solid and still takes everything like a champ; definetly increased my riding time and made lighter winds fun :)

Not tried any others unfortunately!

drago
Rare Poster

Postby drago » Sun May 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Cool dude thanks think that may be the way to go as that seem to have been making skims for some time now so should have it down

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

I've only ridden the Crazyfly. I really liked it and have seriously considered getting it, but I've been wanting to demo some others before I commit. The Nobile looks very similar in shape, but it has a flat tail which may give it slightly better pop for tricks. I do like that the Crazyfly is 135cm vs the Nobile at 130cm, but that's just a personal preference because I have long legs and a wider stance.
I'm not familiar with Circle1, but based on their website, the carbon model has the best shape imo.
Have you checked out Liquid Force's 2015 Kite Skim?
http://liquidforcekites.com/product/boards/kite-skim/
Slingshot's 2015 Skim Bender is also perfect for kiting (fin option), but they market it under their wakesurfer category.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/2015-Ski ... WjP7Shy_Hg
LF also has three other skimboards perfect for kiting (fin option) that they market under their wakesurfer category. I've been eyeballing the Doum Pro 54 because it can be set it up as a thruster, a twin, single fin, or no fins depending on the conditions just like Slingshot's.
http://www.liquidforce.com/wakesurfers.html
There are some older Slingshot, LF, and Airush kite skimboards still floating around online too.
Beachdog Skim is another one to check, but I'm not sure if they're still available.
http://beachdogskim.com/

drago
Rare Poster

Postby drago » Fri May 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Sweet dude thanks make my choices harder :p
the slingshot one looks nice
the main thing is one that works well in light wind would think a wakesurf would have to work with not much power but really don't no much about the sport so don't really no
Have also found a cheap kite skim that look quite good http://kspkiteboarding.com/en/boards/104-skim.html

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Sat May 30, 2015 3:20 am

The used skimboard I lust after is the 2012 Slingshot Reform, but I'm a sucker for a wood board. I'll find a good used one someday...or maybe Slingshot could bring it back!
slingshotreform.jpg
slingshotreform.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 5633 times

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat May 30, 2015 5:49 am

I used to have a Zap skim board but some one walked off with it one day. I now have a Phase 5 wake surfer skim. Both are the same company. Any skim will work if it is big enough. You are correct they are great for building up your balance. I personally would not buy one from a kite company as they charge too much for them. Just grab one from ebay. You can check out loosethestraps.com (not sure if that is the exact site been awhile since I was on the site). They have a section for skimboards only.

drago
Rare Poster

Postby drago » Sat May 30, 2015 10:11 am

Sweet will have a look on ebay as well I currently have a slingshot t-rex which is gr8 but I'm not that good on it do have broken off a fin by hitting the beach and don't want to damage it any more so would like a skim for onshore days till I can ride strapless
thanks for the help

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun May 31, 2015 5:55 pm

drago wrote:Sweet dude thanks make my choices harder :p
the slingshot one looks nice
the main thing is one that works well in light wind would think a wakesurf would have to work with not much power but really don't no much about the sport so don't really no
Have also found a cheap kite skim that look quite good http://kspkiteboarding.com/en/boards/104-skim.html
Skimboards have become hugely popular for wakesurfing, so a lot of companies are marketing them towards that. As long as it's a dedicated wake skimboard and not a wake specific surfboard, it will be perfect for kiting.
Inland Surfer and Cove are some other options for kite worthy skimboards. Phase5 is no longer in business, but they still can be found. There are some options from Ronix, Byerly, Hyperlite, Obrien and CWB as well.
That KSP skimboard looks perfect too. Advance Kites also makes one that was the inspiration for the Beachdog skimboard...
http://www.advance-kites.com/skimboard.html

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Six or seven years ago, my friend talked me in to a skim board.
$300 and a full deck pad later, I was the proud owner of a
red Victoria Ultra 55.7" x 21.2" Size: Large 150 – 180 lbs.

It was kind of a stupid impulse purchase.........
and I figured it would soon live in my junk closet where things go to die.
But no, every year I take it out for two or three light wind days on the flat water in the bay.

I've learned to edge it , turn it and even slide around in small surf.
When the wind is off shore, I ride the 2" deep glassy shoreline for miles and miles.

The Victoria seems indestructible has been a good investment in fun.
Buy a real skim board from a top skim board brand....... you'll never regret it.
Attachments
Victoria Ultra 56x21.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”