Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

LW Freestyle/Freeride: Zephyr vs Turbine vs Contra vs Boost

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Low Wind Kite (Tube) / SFS / 4-L / Water Relaunch!

Postby ronnie » Mon May 25, 2015 10:58 am

The other thing to keep in mind is that it is very difficult to know exactly what wind you are dealing with at low wind, and a single knot makes a huge difference when you get below the 6 knot area.

snowflake
Rare Poster
Gear: kite
board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowflake » Mon May 25, 2015 11:04 am

Yes you are right, I use a Kaindl - Windmaster2 for metering and the results correlate highly with the local weather stations. I really like this anemometer as it is able to measure wind independent of direction. As I also use it for land kiting I know that it starts having trouble in the 0-2 knot range but in the 5 knot range it seems to be pretty accurate.

snowflake
Rare Poster
board

Postby snowflake » Tue May 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Cannot believe that nobody compared the Zephyr vs Turbine vs Contra vs Boost? There was one thread contra vs. zephyr around 1 year ago but it ended in Nirvana :X

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Re: LW Freestyle/Freeride: Zephyr vs Turbine vs Contra vs Bo

Postby DocDeuce » Tue May 26, 2015 4:22 pm

I flew a friends Helium 18m... I'm 97 kg and i loved it. Buying one this week. From what i hear switch's customer service is really good. It wouldnt hurt to give them a call and see what you can do about demoing one....

DD

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue May 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Need to say, the Flite should be in this conversation too... Take a quick search of this forum for other user's feedback - it is largely recognized as one of the best light wind kites available, hands down.

If you want to arrange a demo, PM me to let me know where you are and I'll sort something out with a local retailer for you.

John Z ~ OR

snowflake
Rare Poster
board

Postby snowflake » Tue May 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks for the generous offer. From the OR website it seems the 2015 Flite still has the following properties:
-Double Frontline Safety
-long pullied bridles
-white leading edge

?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue May 26, 2015 9:46 pm

snowflake wrote:Thanks for the generous offer. From the OR website it seems the 2015 Flite still has the following properties:
-Double Frontline Safety
-long pullied bridles
-white leading edge

?
Snow,

Happy to sort out a demo for you... as for your question, I am a little lost but I am guessing these are not attributes you like. To address those:

- All of our kites work perfectly fine with any front line re-ride system (low Y, single line safety). Currently we sell our ATB bar as a very cost effective bar with above the bar trim. Plans for the Fall include a newer bar that will address some of these concerns but any existing bar system based on a single front line re-ride will work fine with the Flite

- Not sure where you heard we had long bridles on our kite, the bridle length on all our kites is carefully designed not to be long enough to allow the bridles to slide around the edge / wingtip of the kites

- Yes, the Flite has white leading edge. Our focus with the Flite graphics this year was to maintain a light feel / look for the kite as weight reductions were so important in its performance.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 26, 2015 10:22 pm

snowflake wrote:Cannot believe that nobody compared the Zephyr vs Turbine vs Contra vs Boost? There was one thread contra vs. zephyr around 1 year ago but it ended in Nirvana :X
I'm with you, dude, it's impossible to keep this group focused on a topic, right?? So I'll bite.....

Zephyr: Relatively lightweight. Fairly responsive for a big kite. Ozone is a great manufacturer, but the Zephyr may be less durable over time due to concerted efforts to reduce weight.

Turbine: Slingshot makes highly durable kites, and the reputation of the Turbine is consistent. It would be in the mix for me.

Contra: This would be my choice. Not a quick flashy performer, but a solid steamroller. You'll always know where your kite is positioned in the sky. No back-stalling, no real quickness, but it will be there 100% when you need the power. That's what I want in a light wind kite. (My priorities are different when the wind picks up.)

Boost: Sorry, no experience here.

.....and that's all I can say about this topic. :roll:

snowflake
Rare Poster
board

Postby snowflake » Wed May 27, 2015 12:42 am

Hmm a kite with a white leading edge will only look nice for the first sessions here ;)
Dunno if possible I prefer a pullieless bridle. I will check whether I find an OR dealer nearby, so maybe I get the chance to demo the flite and change my mind. The flite's flight behavior looks nice.
Due to baggage restrictions I prefer that I can use all my kites with one bar type. My luggage limit is 3 kites, 2 boards 2 bars ;)
FLandOBX wrote:Zephyr: Fairly responsive for a big kite. Ozone is a great manufacturer, but the Zephyr may be less durable over time due to concerted efforts to reduce weight.

Turbine: Slingshot makes highly durable kites, and the reputation of the Turbine is consistent. It would be in the mix for me.

Contra: This would be my choice. Not a quick flashy performer, but a solid steamroller. You'll always know where your kite is positioned in the sky. No back-stalling, no real quickness, but it will be there 100% when you need the power. That's what I want in a light wind kite. (My priorities are different when the wind picks up.)
Thank you. Can you also elaborate a bit on drift and unhooked properties of these 3-kites? Is the Contra fast enough to catch you in kiteloops?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Wed May 27, 2015 1:40 am

snowflake wrote:Can you also elaborate a bit on drift and unhooked properties of these 3-kites? Is the Contra fast enough to catch you in kiteloops?
I'm not your guy for info on riding unhooked with a 17m in light wind. I'd guess the Turbine would perform better than the Contra for that, but others would have a more informed opinion.

Contra is absolutely quick enough to loop and catch. It's a big kite, so you gotta initiate your loop sooner than with a small kite. But it'll definitely respond with solid loops.

They are all good kites. Best advice I can offer is to demo them before deciding, if possible.

Return to “Kitesurfing”