naish swivel

Forum for kitesurfers
cleepa
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: naish swivel

Postby cleepa » Thu May 28, 2015 4:08 pm

I have a Wainman V1 bar and a V2 bar. The V1 has the stainless steel mouse ears swivel and the V2 bar has the ceramic swivel. I never did anything to keep either swivel clean. After extended use, I found that the ceramic swivel had basically stopped working, while the mouse ears worked about 50% of the time. So I prefer the mouse ears swivel.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu May 28, 2015 4:33 pm

cleepa wrote:I have a Wainman V1 bar and a V2 bar. The V1 has the stainless steel mouse ears swivel and the V2 bar has the ceramic swivel. I never did anything to keep either swivel clean. After extended use, I found that the ceramic swivel had basically stopped working, while the mouse ears worked about 50% of the time. So I prefer the mouse ears swivel.
Yup. Nobody's swivel works 100%....which is why kite companies should not bother and just make sure that their chicken loop systems have a good system for untwisting.
Cheaper to not put swivels above and below the bar.
We would all like to pay less for our super over-priced bar systems. :thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 28, 2015 5:17 pm

OnB wrote: Nobody's swivel works 100%....which is why kite companies should not bother and just make sure that their chicken loop systems have a good system for untwisting.
FYI Naish does not have a below the bar swivel.... so its funny their above the bar swivel sucks as bad as it does... and I can say that with first hand experience...lol

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu May 28, 2015 5:48 pm

OnB wrote:
cleepa wrote:I have a Wainman V1 bar and a V2 bar. The V1 has the stainless steel mouse ears swivel and the V2 bar has the ceramic swivel. I never did anything to keep either swivel clean. After extended use, I found that the ceramic swivel had basically stopped working, while the mouse ears worked about 50% of the time. So I prefer the mouse ears swivel.
Yup. Nobody's swivel works 100%....which is why kite companies should not bother and just make sure that their chicken loop systems have a good system for untwisting.
Yep, agreed. When I customised my bar, I got rid of the swivel as there's one below the bar, now. The below the bar one never swivels on its own. Easy enough to solve - I either loop the other way, or I twist the below the bar one by hand. I definitely enjoyed getting rid of that excessively huge ceramic swivel.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu May 28, 2015 6:02 pm

In my opinion, the other benefit of dumping the above bar swivel systems is that they can make a better single line safety release system that is more reliable, and cheap to build.
Most of them fail if your kite has had a problem and starts to loop, all the lines twist into a thick rope and then they don't go to single line properly, you then need to release your leash and let the kite go.
The best single line safety I've ever had is on an older Blade bar system (the one that a few forum members bitched about for months) that would release to single line even when the kite was looping.
It is the standard by which other safeties are judged..for me.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Do you have a pic of this Blade bar? A quick search turned up only the UNi bar

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Here is the safety system.
Super simple, cheap to make and it works.......for me.
The bar also has oh shite handles on both steering lines.
The amsteel at the steering line leaders and in the center line leaders allows you to hold and grab and manipulate the whole thing without cutting your fingers off like kite line will when powered.
The length of the two amsteel lines on center allows them to be twisted many times without a significant effect on anything, and when you pull the safety the single center line comes all the way to the bar without a problem, even when your kite has twisted the whole mess.
Disclaimer: I make no claim to it being better or worse than anything else and want nothing to do with an argument from anybody about bar systems. :wink:
Attachments
DSCN1367.jpg
DSCN1368.jpg

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu May 28, 2015 9:19 pm

I also changed to the Wainman swivel. Looks good out of the box.
Once installed and subjected to the same environment as the SS universal swivel it replaced, I didn't find it to performed any differently.
I still rinse it after each session and occasionally hit it with DryLube. Still binds up.
So, in my experience the only benefit is it is cheaper than other options.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu May 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Of the swivels I've used the Wainman works more often than the others, but I don't think it's an item worth paying extra for.
Switch claims theirs works and it was designed at a date after the Wainman and Mutiny, but I don't believe that it is better either.
It would be great to see what happens if the companies just gave up on that above swivel and started thinking harder about the rest of the parts!! :D :D
Like Greg at BoardRiding Maui did.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 am

does anyone know of a marine product designed to be used at a lubricant in salt water conditions for SS that we could adapt for the bearings in the swivels?

Return to “Kitesurfing”