Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Red Bull Megaloop Challenge - it's on tomorrow!

Forum for kitesurfers
Buzzy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Red Bull Megaloop Challenge - it's on tomorrow!

Postby Buzzy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 am

IMG_9386.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 am

International riders go wild in Dutch storm

Dutchmen Lassse Walker wins Red Bull Megaloop Challenge 2015

The Dutch Lasse Walker has won the Red Bull Megaloop Challenge 2015. A southwest storm with gusts off 90km per hour, hundreds of kite-fans at the beach of Zandvoort and a warning of the Dutch Weather Institute for dangerous weather: Tuesday had the perfect conditions for the Red Bull Megaloop Challenge. At The Spot in Zandvoort, 16 international top riders went on the water to perform the most spectacular jumps. The twenty year old Walker made the best megaloop and convinced the four-piece jury to crown him the winner.

Walker got the trophy from the most extreme kiteboarder there is: Ruben Lenten, organization and judge of the event. Ruben about the winner: “The judges were unanimous that Lasse was the best one today. He went more vertical, horizontal and radical. On all criteria Lasse was the best one.”

Lasse Walker about his victory “I knew when I got here today, that I was going to win. Nah, just kidding. But I was in great shape and knew that I have done everything in my power to compete for the title. That I won is a dream coming true. Two years ago, I qualified for the first time, which already was great! But winning is even better. My next goal is to participate and win Red Bull King of the Air and off course to maintain this title.”

The Red Bull Megaloop Challenge only takes place when the conditions are extreme. 30 knots from the right angle. Since last edition in October 2013, it was waiting for the perfect weather conditions. The 16 riders, which where pre-selected by Ruben Lenten himself, gave it all during the Red Bull Megaloop Challenge heats. The athletes, coming from France, South-Africa, Germany, UK and the Netherlands where obvious one with Mother Earth. With a wind of 30 knots and gusts that sometimes went up to 45 knots, the riders flew 15 meters high and took over 5 seconds airtime. The judges judged the athletes on height, distance, style and execution of the megaloops, where that one perfect loop would be enough to make it to the next round.

The four riders in the final were Lasse Walker, Willem van der Meij, Kevin de Smidt and the German rider Linus Erdman. With the Dutchmen Kevin de Smidt on the second place and Willem van der Meij third, the Dutch riders dominated this Red Bull Megaloop Challenge.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Congratulations to Lasse!

Well done, that's some rough conditions!

How will do at KOTA next year? Someone to watch.

recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider

Postby recoprianto » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Frank82 wrote:
Jbrook wrote:Kinda lame is same dates as SSS.
50kn doesn't wait for Triple-S.
My perception is that SSS riders and kiteloopers are very different and very few would want to compete in both. Plus, it seems like the Megaloop Challenge is more of a regional semipro/amateur riders event.

What I think is interesting is obviously throwing massive kiteloops with rolls is becoming mainstream with a large number of riders more than capable. So the unhooked moves in this type of wind is now the separator for the King of the Air now.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:49 pm

I just wonder that Ruben is not at SSS.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Toby wrote:I just wonder that Ruben is not at SSS.
Sponsor obligations and the Megaloop Challenge, last year they didn't have the megaloop challenge even though we had quite some 40+kn sessions, mostly because Ruben was busy with other stuff. Now that there were no obligations from him he could enter.

The megaloop challenge used to be a Dutch only contest, this year they invited some other riders as well and held a video contest for anyone to enter.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:45 am

Jbrook wrote:Kinda lame is same dates as SSS.
That was purely by chance. They said in the live cast that they base the event date on when the first major low pressure system moves in during this time frame and all the riders are on standby. It just so happened to occur during SSS. And it is only a 1 day event so it really doesn't qualify as something competing with SSS anyway.

And it is completely different from the SSS which IMO is stale. I would much rather watch mega loops over wake style kiting and hitting features. Not taking anything away from the competitors at SSS...just my preference.

Mega loops are truly unique to kite surfing alone. I mean when was the last time you saw a wake boarder do a back roll mega loop 50 feet up behind a boat or in a cable park?

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:02 am

Agree, the megaloop is such a unique move to kiteboarding, jumping is similar to paragliding, wakestyle is well; based on wakeboarding. Old school (or airstyle if you want) is basically combining paragliding with juggling. The megaloop is something you don't see in any other sport and makes it a unique move.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Why did that kite stall??!!

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Kite stalled because it is a piece of shit.

There are a few riders that would ride both I think the SSS and Megaloop. I just think that there are so few good kite events it is a shame they overlap cool events thats all. Riders at this level can do both at a top level who choose, look at Sam Light, Sam Medevsky and many others.

Return to “Kitesurfing”