Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro fogging - can't stop it - why does it?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

GoPro fogging - can't stop it - why does it?

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Tried something today and had a Gopro to film me (Hero3).

After 5 minutes it was fogged...charming.

I thought on land it won't happen...

I tried so many things to stop it, and never with success.

Only time it was ok the whole time was in the kite...guess it had shade and cooling from the wind...

But always on the head and board...now even on land.

Just disappointed that they don't get it. Or don't I get it ?

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Re: GoPro fogging - can't stop it - why does it?

Postby RedSky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 pm

Dew Point I think. Wikipedia - The dew point is the temperature at which the water vapor in a sample of air at constant barometric pressure condenses into liquid water at the same rate at which it evaporates. At temperatures below the dew point, water will leave the air. The condensed water is called dew when it forms on a solid surface.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:15 pm

it fogs up because there is a battery producing heat in a sealed container

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Laughingman wrote:it fogs up because there is a battery producing heat in a sealed container
sure, but why do some have it and some not?
Cold/hot air makes such a big difference?
I know others who film in warm areas too...and no problems? Or they just don't say it?

Just strange.

Danydan
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Danydan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 pm

What a defect casing? Is that a possible cause of fogging?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Toby, is this the same GoPro you've been bummin' about for the last 3 years? If yes........try a different case or maybe try someone else's camera.

My Hero 1 (aka The Fogamatic) fogged constantly and I hated it. Once I bought the dive case, no more fog. So I'm not sure it was a bad case, or the flat lens made a difference......who knows.

I now have a Hero 4 Silver and haven't had any fog. I've tried it in very humid places to very arid places mountain biking and kiting, no fog. Maybe Brazil is a whole other level of humidity. Try a Hero 4.

Curious if anyone else with a Hero4 Silver has had any issues?

blazeheli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui/ Cocoa Beach Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby blazeheli » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 pm

1- charge gopro
2 - wipe the inside of the case and the rubber seal with the lens cloth
3 - put gopro in case and stuff a little bit of tissue in the gap between the case and the memory card
4 - place about 10 grains of dried rice in the gap between the bottom of the gopro and the case.
5 - close the case making sure that the rice or tissue in not in the way of the seal - don't open the case again
6 - drive to your kiting location and film away. The rice needs to spend some time inside the closed case to suck all the moisture out of the air. The tissue is to keep the rice from bumping the memory card and popping it loose if your camera is moving around a lot.

Seems to work every time for me the last few years I have been using gopro - in conditions ranging from snow kiting to kiting in Hawaii. I use both the gopro 2 and the gopro 3 - the rice seems to keep both fog free.
Last edited by blazeheli on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 pm

For what it's worth, it probably is dew point at your particular location as already mentioned. I've had my cameras fog up once in a while, but it is so rare that I don't consider it an inconvenience.

My cases are always closed. I store them closed. If I have to take the camera out, I close the case. When I change the battery I do it with dry hands in a dry environment (air conditioned). There are times I have to field swap a battery and I do so as quickly and carefully as possible. I let the cameras equalize to outside temperature before I turn them on. I only turn them on when I want to film. I use the remote control to power them off if there will be a length of time between takes.

I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but consider those handling practices as well as other suggestions you've had. If you minimize the humidity inside the case, there is less there to fog.

I have heard some say that you should not store the cases closed because you are storing them with the seals compressed, but I have never had a leak problem. Those are big fat juicy gaskets and they bounce right back into shape when opened after I've had them closed up for a year. (really, I have cracked open some cases that I haven't used in a long time).

Good luck!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:30 pm

blazeheli wrote:1- charge gopro
2 - wipe the inside of the case and the rubber seal with the lens cloth
3 - put gopro in case and stuff a little bit of tissue in the gap between the case and the memory card
4 - place about 10 grains of dried rice in the gap between the bottom of the gopro and the case.
5 - close the case making sure that the rice or tissue in not in the way of the seal - don't open the case again
6 - drive to your kiting location and film away. The rice needs to spend some time inside the closed case to suck all the moisture out of the air. The tissue is to keep the rice from bumping the memory card and popping it loose if your camera is moving around a lot.

Seems to work every time for me the last few years I have been using gopro - in conditions ranging from snow kiting to kiting in Hawaii. I use both the gopro 2 and the gopro 3 - the rice seems to keep both fog free.
You forgot to add 7 - tap your head and rub your belly counter clockwise
I wouldn't spend a cent on anything that requires this much prep just to do what it is meant to be used for....

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Toby wrote:
Laughingman wrote:it fogs up because there is a battery producing heat in a sealed container
sure, but why do some have it and some not?
Cold/hot air makes such a big difference?
I know others who film in warm areas too...and no problems? Or they just don't say it?

Just strange.
I think there are people who go to extreme measures to make sure it doesn't happen just as adding rice, tissue paper, installing the camera while in a vacuum chamber and tapping their head and rubbing their belly counter clockwise just for luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”