Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rip Curl Search GPS Watch

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Rip Curl Search GPS Watch

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:04 am

Has anyone tried one of these with kiteboarding? I'm thinking it would be cool to know your speed and paths you take, just wondering how it would work since it 's oriented/programmed for surfing.

It's a bit pricey at $400, but Amazon has 20% off this weekend for Father's Day and my Vestal Brig just died.

http://searchgps.ripcurl.com/welcome/the-watch.php

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rip Curl Search GPS Watch

Postby dejavu » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Whilst I have not tried this one I have been using garmin and suunto watches for tracking kite sessions. I like the functionality of the Ambit 3 but Garminnhave better finer Gps tracking graphs.

deanrobi
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby deanrobi » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Ive been using it for kiting for a while and it works og for speed and distance, the wave count is skewed as i believe it records each run towards the shore line as a wave. Ive used it the last few weeks to push my speed and have managed a 45km run. Ive also tried it snowboarding and Mtb with average results. Hopefully Rip Curl will eventually update the softwear
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 6.01.26 pm.png

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Postby PeaBody » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 am

Suunto is good, there are some specific Kitesurfing apps on the app section of the website.

Suunto movescount uses apps, so you can search for apps people have designed, which just portrays certain things from the recorded gps data...

silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby silversurfer_no » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:38 pm

I have used the Rip Curl Search watch and app since November 2014 and is very pleased with it. I use it for all my water sessions: Surf, SUP and (mostly) kite.
As already mentioned it works best for surfing as the wave count doesn't work when kitesurfing as your highest speed is actually when sailing upwind. Therefore it becomes a little upside down as your actual surfing in the impact zone often gets interpreted as the paddling as you actually go slower in the wave than on the reach, at least on smallish waves. To get the whole track while kitesurfing you have to display also 'paddling' which will show up as white lines (see screenshot).

I have so far used the watch about 9 months, more than 1700km and 122 sessions on the water. No bugs, no problems. ---> Go buy ! :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
Usage so far
image.jpg
Display from a typical kitesurf session. This from Salinas de Pozo Izquierdo, Gran Canaria. My home spot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”