Rare Poster
Gear: - North Rebel 2013
- North X-Ride board 2014
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is my kite back staling ?

Postby Nisselua » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi. I am relatively new to kiteboarding and have some questions :)

Ever since I bought my North Rebel 2013 kite (5th element) I have had some problems with getting it to stay in the power zone. I know that if my back lines are shorter then my front line that it can backstall, but as I checked the length I realised that they where the same length. However, so every time I bring my kite down to the power zone and get on the board, the kite is not responsive enough for me to get it back up to 12 before I fall back in the water. The bar looses all its power and the backlines seem to be much longer then the front lines.. Any ideas ? I have been trying to read about it a lot, but I have not managed to crack the code..

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 7, 9, 12 Crazyfly Bulldozer 2020 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster.

Re: Is my kite back staling ?

Postby Faxie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Are you depowering the kite te get it back up? You should not keep pulling the bar, because then you are killing the forward motion of the kite.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:21 pm

When the wind is too light, it will backstall, you need to depower when the wind is too light or too strong.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Do you feel that there is enough wind for the kite size
Generally a 12 sqm requires 12 knots on a medium width TT at 75kg to get you planing

Test on land in 10-11 knots of wind if you have a size 12
Put kite at noon and pull the bar all the way in with trimmer all the way out ( maximum power)
The kite should stay put with zero back stall
If it does that then the kite is just fine

Nisselua
Rare Poster

Postby Nisselua » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Okay, the last two times I was out, the wind was a little light. So do you think that I just need to adjust the depower so that it stops backstalling? As I can recall I think I had had a lot of power on the adjustment at the time.

I´ll try to pull the bar all the way down and see if it backstalls and adjust after that, thanks for the help, I appreciate it :)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:07 am

From what i have witnessed the 2013 Rebel had a bit less low end than other years
In your best estimate the wind speed you were in was...(....) your kite size is...(.....)..you weigh..(....)

You may have just enough wind but the board may not be quite wide enough to send kite back up
So you may be sliding sideways which removes the power in the kite creating back stall illusion

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 am

Your lines are all supposed to be the same length. Confirm that first.

Then: Put the kite at 12. Sheet all the way in. If it starts flying backwards slowly, or not at all you're OK. If it starts flying backwards fast and folds up you need to let out the back lines some.

Or just ask someone experienced to take it for a spin.

If the kite is trimmed OK you're probably getting popped up and riding straight downwind towards the kite. If you do that you'll slack the lines and have no steering authority. Start off with a little less power and get on your edge faster. Then sheet in.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:24 am

Sounds to me like you are not sheeting out and putting enough tension on the center lines so the kite can climb back to 12 quickly. Most beginners, especially in lighter wind need to work on this skill.
As soon as you turn the kite at the bottom of the power stroke you need to sheet out and head a little upwind and the kite should quickly climb to 12.

Nisselua
Rare Poster

Postby Nisselua » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Okay. My kite size is 11. and the wind speed was about 8-9 m/s. My weight is about 78 kg.

I tried my friends Carbrinha Vector 2013 (11m2) in the same conditions, and with his it worked. It required some extra pumping in order to get power into the kite, but at leased it moved fast enough back to 12 so that it was possible.

I usually release my bar to depower it back up to 12, but in this situation the backlines looses all its tension and makes it feel wrong.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 pm

8/9 m/s for a Rebel 11 sqm is not that light of a wind. So why the back stalling i wonder ??

Conversion of 8/9 m/s into kn & mph

15.5 knots (17.8 mph) / 17.4kn (20.0 mph)

Return to “Kitesurfing”