Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is my kite back staling ?

Postby t3rse » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Don't let the bar "all the way out" to move the kite up. Just let it breath--let the bar out a little. You'll get the feel for it. It'll have tension and it will have the most power when you get it trimmed just right.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Did you take lessons ?
Your instructor, should have gone over this .

If your kite doesn't have the energy to make it back to the top, (in a 20mph)
then your screwing up Bad ; and on-line advise could kill Ya.

I could tow my Toyota van , across the dry-lake in that same wind ; with your kite.

Bille

Nisselua
Rare Poster
Gear: - North Rebel 2013
- North X-Ride board 2014

Postby Nisselua » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Okay, yeah I get what you´re saying about not letting the bar to much out and I usually get the feel for it. But in this situation there is no feel at all and that is what bothers me...

Hehe. Yes I have been taken a lot of lessons actually, 5 day course in Croatia, 3 day course in Sweden, I even took a private lesson with a private lecturer not long ago. The problem is that I do not seem to get it right with my Rebel 2013 kite, every other kite I borrow or try has worked out great, but since I bought my kite last year I have never really managed to adjust it correctly.

However, I think that it is just an adjustment problem, I will try to adjust the depower so that the kite don´t stall and take it from there, and if there are some other experienced north riders out, then I´ll ask them to take it for a spinn, so thank you all for coming with suggestions, I appreciate it a lot :)

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Nisselua wrote: the kite is not responsive enough ................ and the backlines seem to be much longer then the front lines...

the back lines are slack, the kite is unresponsive (to steering?). this is probably not stalling.

stalling is caused by too much backline tension (for the particular moment). when you hold the kite steady at 45deg or so, and hold the bar all the way in, is the kite pulled backwards and away from the edge of the wind and falling backwards into the powerzone with tight backlines and hypersensitive steering? (a stall)? if not, then that's probably not the problem.

you do not necessarily need to let your bar out so your kite will climb if you tune your gear so you don't have to do that.

it sounds like you need to pull your bar in so you can turn your kite.

also, we don't ride with the kite at 12, there is not necessarily any reason to turn it back upwards after you take off using a downward powerstroke. use a tight turn downwards and a short dive, level the kite off at or before 1/2 way down, get up as you level it off.

try using upward powerstokes to take off as well.

www.prokitelessons.com
South Padre Island, Texas
Last edited by bnthere on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:48 pm

The video show the 19m Ozone edge back stalling in 4 knot wind with full 7" depower on the Racebar
Last edited by Hawaiis on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm

sheet in (pull) the bar in on the downstroke and sheet out (push) the bar out on the upstroke.
steve

Nisselua
Rare Poster
Gear: - North Rebel 2013
- North X-Ride board 2014

Postby Nisselua » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks for the answers :)That video shows pretty well what I am experiencing. So what he essentially does is to pull in the depower strap to get more depower, or level the kite more? Too much power or 7" depower, as shown in the video, only killes the forward motion of the kite? Am I getting this right?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Nisselua wrote:Thanks for the answers :)That video shows pretty well what I am experiencing. So what he essentially does is to pull in the depower strap to get more depower, or level the kite more? Too much power or 7" depower, as shown in the video, only killes the forward motion of the kite? Am I getting this right?
The wind certainly is not enough to keep the kite in the air on standard trim. I pull in the 7" depower to just keep the kite in the air. Light wind kiting is not for beginners. The best way is to rig a bigger kite or wait for stronger wind.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque
Style: awkward
Gear: 15m Core XR3, 12 & 7 m Core XR4, 10, Core XR5.
LF Wow 3, 12/10/8 m
CF Raptor Pro Ltd, Ocean Rodeo Jester.
Nobile Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:49 pm

I realise that you're a relative newbie, but before you squarely blame lack of experience you need to know if your lines are correct. Once you've ruled out the kite being the problem then there are many good ideas others have posted here for you. The North Manual 6.1 explains the line length test, and the trim test, the latter is especially important for your kite as it's has a loaded 5th line setup.

https://www.northkiteboarding.com/uploa ... bar_en.pdf

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Nisselua wrote: The problem is that I do not seem to get it right with my Rebel 2013 kite, every other kite I borrow or try has worked out great, but since I bought my kite last year I have never really managed to adjust it correctly.
Here is what i think it is since you are in 18-20 wind with an 11 sqm Rebel which is correct wind

You need to have a different touch with Rebels
The reason is that when you push or pull the bar it depowers and powers 1/3 more than you think

With other kites you have flown you have apparently no problems like that

Let's say for example that with other kites you push bar away 12 inches to depower or trim kite
With Rebel pushing bar away 9 inches slacks the back lines just as much as 12 in. w/ other kites

So by pushing Rebel bar away 12 inches it is like you pushed the other bar 16 inches !!

That's why your back lines go slack...you're not back stalling but stalling kite by spilling wind out

You see Rebels have the highest "Y" which gives them the shortest depower stroke of all kites

So just work on "your touch" :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”