Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New bridge for Hatteras Island

Forum for kitesurfers
User avatar
windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm
Style: surf/old school
Gear: North/Ozone/Airush/PLKB/F.One
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Contact:

New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby windsuks » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:28 pm


User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for posting this article.

Replacing the Bonner Bridge is good for everyone and long overdue. Based on the article, there still seems to be a long way to go for the various factions to agree on what to do about Hwy. 12 between the Bonner Bridge and Rodanthe (including the temporary bridge at New Inlet). :roll:

Let us know if I've interpreted incorrectly.

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2979
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:46 pm

FLandOBX wrote:Thanks for posting this article.

Replacing the Bonner Bridge is good for everyone and long overdue. Based on the article, there still seems to be a long way to go for the various factions to agree on what to do about Hwy. 12 between the Bonner Bridge and Rodanthe (including the temporary bridge at New Inlet). :roll:

Let us know if I've interpreted incorrectly.
I spoke to some of the property owners at the North end of Rodanthe. There is some concern if the road is pushed into the sound that it might actually either come in further South there by blocking their launches or just north by the s bends effectively blocking access to the new inlet.
I am pretty sure we are about to lose something of value here. :(
Lets hope common sense prevails and they take into consideration all stake holders....

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Laughingman wrote:I spoke to some of the property owners at the North end of Rodanthe. There is some concern if the road is pushed into the sound that it might actually either come in further South there by blocking their launches or just north by the s bends effectively blocking access to the new inlet.
Yes, the proposal that seems to get the most "air time" (forgive the pun) has the road routed around Pea Island into the sound, re-connecting with existing Hwy 12 near Rodanthe's emergency ferry docks. That would isolate Mirlo Beach and the property owners that you've mentioned. Time will tell what actually occurs.....and when. :?:

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2814
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:41 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Laughingman wrote:I spoke to some of the property owners at the North end of Rodanthe. There is some concern if the road is pushed into the sound that it might actually either come in further South there by blocking their launches or just north by the s bends effectively blocking access to the new inlet.
Yes, the proposal that seems to get the most "air time" (forgive the pun) has the road routed around Pea Island into the sound, re-connecting with existing Hwy 12 near Rodanthe's emergency ferry docks. That would isolate Mirlo Beach and the property owners that you've mentioned. Time will tell what actually occurs.....and when. :?:
Yup, that option would suck for everyone with property near Pappy Lane and north. Here is a MAP of that proposal. There is a whole community there that would now be staring at a bridge with their sunsets. Not to mention, I'd have to think kiting would be significantly limited.

If the kiting isn't banned inside the bridge, you are now "fenced in" by a highway. If you are kiting in place it will certainly keep the crowds down but forget about using your rental property as the starting or ending point of a downwinder. I think one of the other options is an elevated highway above the current roadbed, through the north part of Rodanthe. Not pretty, but at least the water front property values won't tank.

I'd be curious to hear what the locals down there would prefer, though.

The great news is the bridge will be replaced! What they are doing with the road from the Pea Island entry point to Rodanthe is where they can really f*ck things up...

User avatar
Eurus
Frequent Poster
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby Eurus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 am

Well it only took 12 years to finally move forward with relocating the light house. Hopefully this will get approved a little quicker.

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2979
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm

CaptainArgh wrote: If the kiting isn't banned inside the bridge, you are now "fenced in" by a highway. If you are kiting in place it will certainly keep the crowds down but forget about using your rental property as the starting or ending point of a downwinder. I think one of the other options is an elevated highway above the current roadbed, through the north part of Rodanthe. Not pretty, but at least the water front property values won't tank.

I'd be curious to hear what the locals down there would prefer, though.

The great news is the bridge will be replaced! What they are doing with the road from the Pea Island entry point to Rodanthe is where they can really f*ck things up...
WOW, that would suck.
That is however a great map of the slicks....

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 41398
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 730 times
Contact:

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:28 pm

That looks really sad for us and nature.

If needed, set up petitions against it, we for sure are happy to help you!

rmaxwell
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:06 pm
Favorite Beaches: kitepoint
Style: intermediate
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby rmaxwell » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:54 pm

I kite frequently in Mirlo Beach. In my opinion, it is one of the best spots in Hatteras to kite. It gets great SW thermals in the summer and it is also superb in NE winds. I have written many letters to NCDOT and have asked other friends to help oppose the bridge in the sound. Unfortunately, it seems as though the bridge will go through the sound in front of Mirlo. It will be visually awful and I expect that it will disrupt the wind patterns from the SW, although I guess that depends on how close the bridge is to shore.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think the kiters in Mirlo Beach carry the weight to counter the outside legal groups who don't want anything in the Pea Island access area to Hatteras

User avatar
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:48 pm
Gear: ¤°
Location: Great Lakes
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: New bridge for Hatteras Island

Postby POACHER » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Wow...........that would really suck. Seems like a shit ton of work and money just to bypass one small area? wtf do I know though, I'm no engineer or planner.

The selfish side of me really hopes that this doesn't happen. We kite right in the sound exactly where the bridge would go. It would be a shame to have that eyesore there. The house we've rented fro 12 years would have a front row seat of highway, that's tragic.
However, I'm a 1-2 week visitor and not a resident or business owner. Some tough decisions to be made.....


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 123 guests

cron