Please advice on the Carved Imperator 5 finish

Forum for kitesurfers
Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please advice on the Carved Imperator 5 finish

Postby Jbrook » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Duuh, easy to fix, nobody is gonna buy for a good price used and new ones are a ridiculous price. Would someone really buy a second $1500.00 dollar board over a finish that is fixable?

I was just hoping for some good answers and received a bunch tks to all!

OffshoreApparel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarpon Springs
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby OffshoreApparel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 pm

Finish is pretty far gone. UV and saltwater will kill just about anything. I would check with Carved to see what they recommend, more than likely it's a clear resin that is mixed and rolled in when the carbon is laid up like fiberglass. Sanding, then rolling with a new coat of the same resin will be your best bet at a factory new finish. Paints and acrylic will likely crack and peel with the flex of the board. Plz post what u find to help others! Would love to see the final results.

Thinking about getting one of these boards! Wicked light.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Those damn Euro's making a board with a crappy finish... maybe they need to spend more time in Brazil to make sure this doesn't happen?

:lol:

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote: Nice to see I'm STILL making better shit than carved out of my garage for half the price. :D
Haha, brilliant line! :thumb:

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Nice points in the last 2 posters and yes you got me, believe me they spend enough time here.

You would think by now someone affiliated with Carved would post something? They advertise on this forum. If this was a North post Dan would be on it.

FYI: I do not leave my board in the sun at all when not riding. Guess you guys just wanna sell the most expensive stuff but still do not know how to back it up. I broke the board once on the rail and the guy I bought it from a dealer offered me nothing it was a small break and I fixed it no problems since. About a month later the guy offered to have a look at the board at the time he offered nothing. A board this expensive should have a lifetime guarantee. Pads and straps suck also.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Jbrook wrote:Nice points in the last 2 posters and yes you got me, believe me they spend enough time here.

You would think by now someone affiliated with Carved would post something? They advertise on this forum. If this was a North post Dan would be on it.

FYI: I do not leave my board in the sun at all when not riding. Guess you guys just wanna sell the most expensive stuff but still do not know how to back it up. I broke the board once on the rail and the guy I bought it from a dealer offered me nothing it was a small break and I fixed it no problems since. About a month later the guy offered to have a look at the board at the time he offered nothing. A board this expensive should have a lifetime guarantee. Pads and straps suck also.
To be fair I can see why you're pissed but in all honesty i've got a lot of admiration for carved, how the hell they get people to part with $1500 for a bit of foam wrapped in carbon is pretty fucking impressive! :lol:

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:34 pm

I would use the urethane paint, the one that is used for boats. After drying you can wet-sand it with fine sandpaper like grit 800.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Jbrook,

The problem is that it may not be an easy fix.

If you love the ride and can overlook the finish, ride it forever. You may not ever find another board that you like even half as much. I had a Jimmy Lewis custom that I loved, it made me sick when it split in half after a mis-landed jump.

If it is going to bug you and you live in the U.S. I am interested in buying it, I am still searching for the magic that I had in my Jimmy.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:18 pm

sijandy wrote:To be fair I can see why you're pissed but in all honesty i've got a lot of admiration for carved, how the hell they get people to part with $1500 for a bit of foam wrapped in carbon is pretty fucking impressive! :lol:

+ 2 $1500 bucks for a board is fucking ridiculous.....Even if it did look good after a few years. I just can't believe people pay that.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Why would you buy a Porsche 911 for $100K, when you can buy a Chevy Corvette for $55K?

If you don't understand why, you will never understand paying $1500 for a board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”