fellipegorys
Rare Poster
Gear: North and Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sri Lanka - Kitesurf paradise

Postby fellipegorys » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:00 am

I'm a Brazilian surfer living in Hawaii, at least I was...until +-1 year ago when I went on a surf trip to Bali, Indonesia, and met the woman of my life. She introduced me to kiting and thought me how to kite. I quit my job and started traveling the world following the wind with her. We are now married and happy with this lifestyle. She's a kite instructor and I'm a kite photographer. This season we are in Sri Lanka and I must say that Sri Lanka is a TOP kitesurf / kiteboard destination, no joke! It's really amazing. The wind has been blowing 24hrs 7 days/week for the last month and it won't stop for the next few months. I'm talking about steady strong winds. It's a perfect place if you're looking for your next kite trip destination. I'm staying at a kitecamp called Kitekuda. Good rates and the best food I've had in this country so far, and I've traveled a lot here already. They have a very nice flat water lagoon right next to the ocean. So you can kiteboard and Kitesurf as you please. It isn't crowded at all, I kite on the ocean ALONE all the time. That's why I'm writing here, so more kiters can come enjoy this place. Sri Lanka is a cheap country with friendly people and good food. The weather is very warm, so forget your wetsuit and make sure you bring sunscreen. Believe me, you won't regret it!

My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/fellipegorys

flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: gonubie reef
Style: Wave
Gear: pivot
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurf hooks

Re: Sri Lanka - Kitesurf paradise

Postby flyingfishza » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 pm

If only it had waves=

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:23 am

Sri Lanka has waves!
I think in the NE are several good breaks!

fellipegorys
Rare Poster

Postby fellipegorys » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 am

Oh yeah, there's plenty waves!
Attachments
kitesurf.jpg

Stefan1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Fonte Da Telha, Portugal
Lagoa de Obidos, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Obidos, Guincho Portugal
Style: waveriding
Gear: Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: North, Naish, Mystic, Ride Engine Portugal

Postby Stefan1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:29 am

Aloha!
I'm happy to announce you that since April 2015 we took over small resort at Kalpitiya lagoon, Sri Lanka. We are visiting Sri Lanka every year since summer 2012. And year by year we know that it is windy here everyday, no! Seriously! Everyday, day by day!

The main season in Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka is between May - October. We have dry strong wind from south-west average 20 - 25 knots. The off season, but still windy 8) is December - February, average 16-20 knots.

The are 4 - 6 different spots around Kalpitiya: flat water lagoons or wave riding and free ride in the Indian ocean. As well as we can do long downwinders 10 - 45 km. :!:
Kite trips can be organized to different part of Sri Lanka to the main surf - reef wave raiders spots as well.

Our kite school and resort is based at Kalpitiya lagoon. We are flying and teaching with Airush and Core kites. We provide full and half board accommodation two types. Dinuda resort is on tripadvisor.

Our main page still under developing
www.facebook.com/airushromashki
Be easy to ask any questions!
Cheers !
Attachments
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1854.jpg
номер с экстра-кроватью Ромашки.jpg

DangerLifter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vietnam, Mui Ne
Favorite Beaches: Vietnam, Mui Ne
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: SS RPM 7, 9, 12
SS Asylum 138

Postby DangerLifter » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:48 pm

As I also travel a lot looking for a wind. Such "advertisement" posts makes me really angry and forces me hates of those "posters". Because all bad things you have to check by yourself. Nobody of so "pleased guys" writes all the truth.
So what you have to mention about Sri Lanka wind is f***ing gusty. It makes real troubles to train new technical tricks. If you are happy just right around and flying above - it works. If you are concerned about technical progress it is better to look in another place.
Also when you look at Sri Lanka's wind forecast - just subtract 1-2m from wind. So if you see 8-9m forecast - than you have a good chance to ride your 12m kite if you are not to heavy of course. 6-7 m - you have a relax day or you must have big size.
Overall, yes it is nice place for kitesurfing with different conditions (waves and flat). But it is far enough from paradise spots of the world.
And one more. It is very cheap country but not for you guys who came for few weeks. ;) Relatively expensive accommodation at camps (it shouldn't cost what they ask) in comparison to other places, very expensive kite repair, no any infrastractures behind you "kite station's wall".

Stefan1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Fonte Da Telha, Portugal
Lagoa de Obidos, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Obidos, Guincho Portugal
Style: waveriding
Gear: Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: North, Naish, Mystic, Ride Engine Portugal

Postby Stefan1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:32 am

Dear DangerLifter
I can clearly understand why you are upset and angry with location you visit before, where exactly did you ride? Have you visited spots around?!
Yes, Sri Lankan winds are gusty, agreed, but its windy everyday which makes a lot of people love this place. On the big Kalpitiya lagoon there are 2-3 areas where the wind gusty, all the rest is normal conditions to practice free ride as well as technical freestyle with small kites (7-9m) this days. More and more good riders flying here and practice blind judges, kgb, mobs and other tricks. Maybe we just take smaller kite and get used with that and adjust our gear for it.
Besides Kalpitiya lagoon there are a lot of different spots around, so you can choose ocean wave riding with clear wind, or you can go downwind to the islands, where you can catch so much free space with good wind and flat water conditions. Remember wind is everyday!
I would say that if you look at the forecast you can add 2-3 knots to the forecast you see and thats the wind is here.
By the way, if you check Dahla, Morocco or any places with strong dry! winds - its gusty as well as here. There are no perfect places in this world! I like them all!
Accommodation price in Sri Lanka. I'm not sure that you have traveled around the island, but all the resort with 2-3 stars will start with minimum 25$ per night with only breakfast.
Kalpitiya's hotels average price will be around 50$ with good full board!!! and transport to the launching area. Additionally for this you have beach boys and storage for free.
+ locals provide good rooms with bit less price than the camp, just look around!
Some of us just don't need that infrastructure!!, we are happy about to see the clean of peoples ocean and ride without traffic jams!
I wonder when have you been Kalpitiya? What month?
Cheese, Stephan Smith.

Asaf Gonen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bat-Galim
Ceicaria
Favorite Beaches: Arugam Bay
Ceicaria
Cape town
Places with wind and waves
Style: Waves and Big Megaloops
Gear: North :

Neo 7+10
Vegas 9
Gemmbler
Whip

Postby Asaf Gonen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am

We traveled to Seri Lanka in 2012 and it was epic !!
Here is a video that we made from Arugam Bay

Great Waves

https://vimeo.com/55259316

fellipegorys
Rare Poster

Postby fellipegorys » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:03 pm

As I stated before...Sri Lanka is a great kite destination with no crowds and the wind blows at least 25 days per month during the season (May to September).
I've been here for more than one month already and will be staying for 2 more months.
I'm staying at Kitekuda Kitecamp. Great location with good rates. They have rooms starting at 30euro/day! it includes 3 meals, storage and transport to launch area twice a day. and wifi ;) can't go wrong! and the food is amazing by the way.
If you're looking for a kite trip soon this place is totally worth it! trust me. you can visit their website at www.srilankakiteschool.com, facebook https://www.facebook.com/Kitekuda or Kitekuda on Instagram.
I really wish that more people would come join me here so we can have some fun...I'm alone here and that's why I decided to write here...to maybe help this guys out, bringing more guests.
Cheers!

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:54 pm

super gusty conditions, dirty looking water, most of the time. not kite paradise, just ok!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”