Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites
Has thanked: 0

Re: Infinity V4 light wind manchine

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:47 pm

When it comes to kites, bigger isn't always better because if that was the case, we'd all still be riding 25.5m Slingshot "Manchines" from back in the day. :strong:

In my opinion, any light wind kite has to be able to complete a full sine wave (S), bottom turn- top turn, downstroke-upstroke, or whatever you choose to call it,- or you're not going anywhere.
The kite has to respond thru a combination of power and turning speed before you sink, regardless of the size. Big kites generally have the power advantage, small kite has the speed advantage, but the one with both is the contender. From there, kiters will side with what they like better for their kind of riding.
Here's my example/ wording for light wind kiting-
Downstroke= Power Stroke (Obtained thru hard edging and sheeting in)
Upstroke= Speed Stroke (obtained thru not edging as hard, or going slightly towards the kite as it travels up to 12:00 and a little sheeting out to make it rise to quicker) Gaining speed like this could be called "shooting up under the kite" but it does create less line tension, and less ability to dive the kite HARD into Power Stroke #2. Those 2 turns of the kite are a key make it or break it point in ultra light wind kiting.

A big pig will never make those 2 key turns before you sink, and is therefore no better than any other kite in my opinion. Granted, in 12 or more knot winds, the big pig shouldn't really need both turns to "park and ride". In less wind than that, the bigger kite is even slower to turn and you'll end up sinking, so you may do better riding a smaller quicker pig. :D
I like old school riding and slower, more powerful kites in general, however my local conditions call for a quicker, more nimble kook dodger. From the look of the videos, the Infinity looks pretty quick for it's size, even without a lot of line tension, so I'm looking forward to trying it!

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:34 pm

When you do, pay close attention to the position in the window at the lower end of its range. The older version of this kite likes to sit deep in the window at lighter wind speeds. Dragging drag down wind. When the wind comes up a bit, increasing the apparent wind speed, you can apply some pressure on the edge and get the kite further forward. Better upwind when the wind blows a bit. Will be interesting to read whether that is still the case with this new version.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Do-it wrote:Low wind- 14-15m
Light wind- 17m
Ultra light wind- 19m

Sorry if some of you gals don't get it. It's simple math.
That's the reply of someone experienced who rides a LW kite and rode my ultra LW kite

Low wind-10kn
Light wind-9kn
Ultra light wind-8kn

Stats for experienced LW rider 75kg + Nugget 21" wide quad...(for foilboard substract 2kn)
Powered with no need to move kite....able to go upwind....able to do low backroll kiteloops
Stats for ocean.....for flat water...substract 0.5 kn to all
Do-it once asked KF...is it just me or is...SUP is g**? and i say SUPkite even more g**??
OOOOOOOPS....or is it more appropriate to use the word boring ??

Infinity is a light wind kite

One of my fave from D. is....look...look...i was the only one out on the water
What a ridiculous marketing scam...hey look my kite rules..no one else can ride but me

Hey D.ude wake up everyone here on KF experienced in LW can ride just as easily as you
Additionally all of us experts with bigger specialized LEI'S will easily blown by you in 8kn

Maybe follow Do-it suggestion
Design 3 sizes of Infinity ...add a model for low wind and a model for ultra lightwind
That way we'll know that the kites have to be at least 2 sqm of size difference between them

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Supa, you are the sole reason I never wanted to try Core Kites, I truly mean that dude. At least Dimitri's selling something, but you just ramble on and on about how Core is the best. I even took a year off from kiting, but you're still here saying the same old stuff. Have you ridden any other brands, or just that sure that everything else sucks?
I'd like to see if your skills and Core kites are really that good, or if you're just full of shit.
Since we're just across the state from each other, we should get together and ride sometime. I invite you to come do a Core demo in Tampa, we have butter flat water and lots of kiters to try these "specialized LEIs". I can make all the arrangements, and make sure there's several other brands of LW kites for us to try. No currents, no beach convection, or anything else but miles of butter flat water and very light wind. FYI, I'll ride a twintip (Litewave Wing) and whatever size kite you give me.
BTW, I'm 200 lbs. and had one session in 2015.
Let me know. :bye:

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Do-it wrote:Low wind- 14-15m
Light wind- 17m
Ultra light wind- 19m

Sorry if some of you gals don't get it. It's simple math.
Factually wrong.
You perfectly manage to validate Dimitri's marketing strategy.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:23 am

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:BTW, I'm 200 lbs. and had one session in 2015.
Oh, so then you are supa experienced in light wind? Maybe you should listen to a few people that ride more than two days a week in sub 10mph.

I tried supa's core 19m the other day when the wind dropped to around 8. And guess what..... It has more low end than my beloved Flite...... Do you know why? Because is two fucking meters bigger :o
It's slower with less bar pressure (which I dont like) but it has more pull for sure. The Core bar is pretty nice too, with the auto swivel feature. I'm not sure where the Germans stole that technology from, but I like it.

That is the entire reason I asked Dimitri the size. I've not bashed the kite in any way. In Fact, I can't wait to demo it, and I will give my honest opinion.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:45 am

Lets argue about what is light wind here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389549

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geronimo79 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:55 am

Holy shitballs is supersleazy still whining about this... gees that guy is going on and on and on and on for atleast a year now. I'm so sick of his whining and continuous bashing and dishonesty. GET A LIFE.
----

The infinity doesnt need a size. If you want a size then write it on yourself if that makes you so darn happy. Test the kite, and judge for yourself. Light wind kite should be more then clear enough its not a kite for 15 knots or more. If you cant handle a kite without a size then simply dont buy it.

Size is only an indication nothing more.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:19 am

Nah Do-It, I just added some "stats" for you numbers guys to pleasure yourselves to. :buttsmile:

I don't think I'm Supa-human like EZ duz, just know how to work with what I have. :thumb:

I was also "bragging" about how much I've ridden lately, which is not at all. I've lived 5 minutes from flatwater paradise and kited anytime I wanted for quite a few years, so not as impressed by "session logs", windmeter claims, and all that crap. Acting like angry accountants and splitting hairs over subjective numbers like "sub 10 mph" is a waste of time. Yeah, sub 10 on the beach, 12-13 up top, spin that however you want. :thumb:

I'd say my experience and LW technique comes from a decade of teaching in the land of diminishing winds, and having to truck it back upwind, no matter the kite, size, or conditions. I've had many fun sessions out riding a 14 Rally or similar looking at a whole collection of lightwind kites laying on the beach- complete with a 14 windmeter salute! :bye: :D :bye:

I also know from 12 years of kiting that there's diminishing returns with larger kites, but I'm sure one of our resident "aeronautical engineers" will be eager to fill you in on that one. :advise:
You guys keep insisting that more square meters is always the answer, while never considering turning speed. My last "lightwind kite" was a 2014 16m NRG, and it sucked in very light wind due to the turning speed. Once it hit 12-13 knots and up, the kite was a blast. If you want serious pull, I've got an old 17m Fluid Light Air that I would tell people "Bring it back when you get scared", which never took long in anything around 13 knots. That was a damn powerful kite with an awesome rear relaunch line, just a little too slow. I hope to see them make a new version of the LA with a smaller LE & struts. :wink:
Bitching about Epic not listing the size shows you're more concerned about the number on the side than how it performs. You guys should be demanding a "price per square meter" next to the wind range chart. :rollgrin:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Dimitri M wrote:If you really want to know the measurement of the kite then it has the power of an 19 meter
@Geronimo.....that's why i'm on this thread...the 19 he is referring to is the 19 i ride...
...and this is pure marketing lie....propaganda as PMU puts it :lol:

He obviously forgot the spanking his V3 got when he visited the 19 sqm ultra LW machine
Forget it D.
8kn ain't your game at 182 lbs on a 135x47 TT.....and SUP (lame) ...no one wants to do that

You need 9kn to go in straight line without moving the kite
You need 10kn to start going upwind and do baby airs
You need 11kn to start doing all your fancy 5ft airs

The 19 does all that easily in 1.5 knot less... has quite a lot more power than your 'manchine"

To all the KF doubters...i was there...an amateur...and a 19 did much better than V3 size ??
Unless V4 is said to be at least 2 fu**ing sqm bigger (that was well said Do-it) then V3 ....
.... it is a waste of unknown square meterage cloth at our Atlantic ocean beautiful beach

Those stats are simple facts about power
WooHoo

Return to “Kitesurfing”