Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Neo vs other wave kites

Postby Michelks » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:00 pm

silversurfer_no wrote:I won't comment on my personal experience here as I have not tried enough other 2014-2015 wave kites. All I can say is that at my local spot (Gran Canaria) we had a total mix of all types of wave kites two years ago. Then the 2014 Neo arrived (earlier Neos suck, they are a totally different kite) and now I would say more than 50% are on the Neo, by far the most used kite. I had sessions side by side with other buddies and what really makes the Neo excel is that besides being a most excellent waveriding kite it can also take you upwind.

Can't really comment if this goes for all sizes as we very seldom use kites bigger than 7m2 here, but the 4, 5 and 6 are surely a dream in the wave.
After reading so many posts I decided to buy Neo 7 and 12 to complete my quiver, we are so lucky that we have so many good kites to surf these days, in general everybody is very satisfied with their brand and model, 3 years ago it wasn't like this.
As silversurfer_no said "Neo excel is that besides being a most excellent waveriding kite it can also take you upwind.", so we Surf a lot more waves.

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn

Postby KiteDR » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:59 am

Wanting to bring this back and ask for some updates and reviews on your experiences this past year... How is the Neo? Pivot? How do they compare to others?

They seem to hold the market on kites that offer great surf performance and still have the low end and upwind ability to make them a good all around kite (this is all from reading)

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:27 pm

reo turning speed delay 0 sec
religion 0,5 sec
neo 1,8 sec
rebel 2,2 sec
neo exels for park and drive style .....power.....drifting.....upwind ......quality.......resale ....lightness....everything exept scandalous turning speed for a wave kite .
a class action against north for "missed fun"from all those going turn to turn style that using rebel turned to to neo in the last years.
a misleading from north describe neo as best wave kite in the world.....more correct would have been to say "best for park and drive style"(probably it is).......all those who prefer ,like,need ,choose to turn rapidly in front of the wave?
they all answer the same....you have to learn the "correct style" or best you can do is anticipate turning to compensate the delay!!!!
is the brand that decides which is the correct style or is its job to make a kite that allows both style leaving the decision to kiters what to do?
I sold my 4 5 7 neo (do no even consider turning speed of bigger neo) used with 24 mt as suggested.
a friend told me to try 19 or 22 mt before selling....... but I loose the famous power! and another 400 euros for the new bar !
better wait new models 2017 to try.....extreme confusion .......no problem back to north again ......fun with another brand I am having now.

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:49 pm

reading that you have elbow problems I strongly recommend taking a Best Cabo for a test ride.
ever since I got a quiver of 7 , 9 and 11 Ive fallen in love. Im out on the water for up to 6 hours straight most of the sessions and that would be impossible if I had to constantly fight just to hold on. the Cabo is quick turning and has superb depower.
I only ride surfboards by the way.

ps: also something you might want to look into is the BWS undertow bar, the grip is thicker than ozone, cabrinha, best etc and that also really helps in my opinion - depends on how big your hands are though I guess...

enjoy :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”