Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

Mancora, Peru on Oct/Nov ?

Postby czezz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:50 am

Hi,
Im thinking of going to Mancora, Peru on Oct/Nov.
Have anybody been there ?

I am looking for following information:
- where to stay? Not very expensive hotel/hostel ?
- how to travel to kite spots (car or public transportation or is it that close from town so I can walk ?)
- what I understand: Oct / beginning of Nov should be good for wind. Right ?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Re: Mancora, Peru on Oct/Nov ?

Postby clint2070 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:32 am

I went in september and i got some good days. The best thing to do if you dont have a car is make friends with the kite school. They let me tag along when they had lessons and i just bought beer for them. Tge only place i found worth staying at was mancora. Get there early in the day so you can find a clean place. Tgere are some really run down hotels there ! I mean really bad ! I had the best time kiting at mancora but tge otger places were fun too. If i can find out the name of the hotel i will post it. Its right in front of the break. And wasnt too bad. Maybe $40 a night

czezz
Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP

Postby czezz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Hey, many thanks for the reply.
I will appreciate any more details where to stay, tanks :)

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:12 am

Hi I a from Peru. mancora is a good choice. It has everything but it also have lots o people. Lots of places to stay. Clean an secure will cost a lt more than cheap accomidation. If you can go to pacasmayo for very long rides and not the crowds of mancora. Cheers

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 am

La quebrada in mancora my cousin runs it. You will find it I facebook

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:16 am

czezz wrote:Hey, many thanks for the reply.
Las Olas is where I staid. It was nice and for one person $40 a night. I stayed there for more than 2 weeks so they lowered the price. It is smack on the beach in front of the break. I just walked out my sliding glass door and south about 40ft on the beach to pump up away from people. Don Giovani is right next door and they compete with each other for price so if you Skype them both and barter you will get the best deal. Call them ! don't email. If you can afford a car its best. Then you can persuade others to join you so you don't kite the other spots alone. I rented a taxi a couple days and was lonely because I was kiting alone ! haha it was like $70-100 for the entire day. Another day i rented a motor taxi and it was so cheap that i felt bad for him and his poor Chinese motorcycle. Hooking up w a kite school was the best. I got to kite w everyone and didn't really pay anything just helped a little w the students. Also made friends and proir to my flight out from piura they took me out to a disco and I hooked up with a gorgeous peruvian girl. Haha. The food is great ! The ceviche is world famous, I don't eat the stuff so I can't rank it. I can't warn you enough ! Stay the hell away from any mayonnaise or related sauce. only packet sauces. you will get salmonella bad ! the eggs have it ! the chicken is fine and the cooked eggs but a lot of people were sick to death when I was there. I finally was told it was from the mayo. uncooked eggs and oil. the wave at Mancora was so slow that I actually felt stupid for using a kite. I just did like 6 roundhouse cutbacks on every wave. On the other hand the other main wave break was so steep and in shallow water that I was constantly worried about getting slammed on the beach ! I think I enjoyed Mancora the best. flights from Lima to piura is $100 RT and your gear bag is free if its a connecting flight. On my way back I traveled to Machu Pichu so they denied me free passage of my gear ! GRRRRR !!! Bastards ! its was still just like $50-$75 for the bag. Machu Pichu was worth it. Traveling all the way to Peru and not seeing it would be a mistake. If you need info on that, Let me know. you can find the hotels on booking.com but you should call them. they charge per person ! weird huh ? If I can figure out the kite school I will let you know or I can also find a pic of the guy and you can find him. You'll have a blast man ! have fun ! Don Giovani link
http://www.dongiovannimancora.com/en-us/
Las Olas link
http://www.lasolasmancora.com
Attachments
IMG_0590.JPG

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 am

clint2070 wrote:
czezz wrote:Hey, many thanks for the reply.
Las Olas is where I staid. It was nice and for one person $40 a night. I stayed there for more than 2 weeks so they lowered the price. It is smack on the beach in front of the break. I just walked out my sliding glass door and south about 40ft on the beach to pump up away from people. Don Giovani is right next door and they compete with each other for price so if you Skype them both and barter you will get the best deal. Call them ! don't email. If you can afford a car its best. Then you can persuade others to join you so you don't kite the other spots alone. I rented a taxi a couple days and was lonely because I was kiting alone ! haha it was like $70-100 for the entire day. Another day i rented a motor taxi and it was so cheap that i felt bad for him and his poor Chinese motorcycle. Hooking up w a kite school was the best. I got to kite w everyone and didn't really pay anything just helped a little w the students. Also made friends and proir to my flight out from piura they took me out to a disco and I hooked up with a gorgeous peruvian girl. Haha. The food is great ! The ceviche is world famous, I don't eat the stuff so I can't rank it. I can't warn you enough ! Stay the hell away from any mayonnaise or related sauce. only packet sauces. you will get salmonella bad ! the eggs have it ! the chicken is fine and the cooked eggs but a lot of people were sick to death when I was there. I finally was told it was from the mayo. uncooked eggs and oil. the wave at Mancora was so slow that I actually felt stupid for using a kite. I just did like 6 roundhouse cutbacks on every wave. On the other hand the other main wave break was so steep and in shallow water that I was constantly worried about getting slammed on the beach ! I think I enjoyed Mancora the best. flights from Lima to piura is $100 RT and your gear bag is free if its a connecting flight. On my way back I traveled to Machu Pichu so they denied me free passage of my gear ! GRRRRR !!! Bastards ! its was still just like $50-$75 for the bag. Machu Pichu was worth it. Traveling all the way to Peru and not seeing it would be a mistake. If you need info on that, Let me know. you can find the hotels on booking.com but you should call them. they charge per person ! weird huh ? If I can figure out the kite school I will let you know or I can also find a pic of the guy and you can find him. You'll have a blast man ! have fun ! Don Giovani link
http://www.dongiovannimancora.com/en-us/
Las Olas link
http://www.lasolasmancora.com
this was the view from inside my room at Las Olas

zact
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Manly, Queensland
Style: Kook
Gear: Naish Cult '08 - 9 and 12
Been thanked: 0

Postby zact » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:16 am

Sounds like a few recommendations for accommodation, but I'll throw mine in for consideration.

When I was there I met a local surfer called Sato who was setting up a very small hostel. Probably think of it as a fancy homestay option. It was pretty run down when I was there, but he'd just moved home to Mancora after living in Indonesia for a couple of years surfing. He has done a GREAT job of doing the place up and I'd recommend checking it out. He's a great guy, and knows the local conditions (for surfing, anyway.) It's pretty well located on the main street.https://www.facebook.com/taroland.peru?fref=ts

Another option is a more established hostel Casa Naranja. Cheap and good quality and great hospitality. Situated up the hill, it is a little less central than your other options, but still only a short walk.

Pretty much anywhere you choose to stay is within walking distance of the beach.

Can be awesome surf there. Or can be flat as. I had a bad season and only saw a couple of good days. But that is the nature of the beast. Wind was more reliable than the waves (Aug-Sep)

If you actually want flat water, you can get it at Organos. You can get there by bus, or hook up with a kite school. Good option for doing downwinders back to Mancora.

If you're chasing waves, you can get them in Mancora, but it is worth heading South to Cabo Blanquillo. Great atmosphere in this place, but you really will need to hook up with someone to get there. I highly recommend trying to get there if you can. Not necessarily the best conditions. But a beautiful spot to kite.

Or Lobitos. Definitely the best pick for the waves. The offshore wind and gusty conditions can be pretty unnerving. And the water is a damned site colder than Mancora itself. But far and away the best waves I've ever ridden. It is feasible to get there by public transport. But not recommended. It makes it a real mission. Much better to hook up with other kiters. The schools don't tend to go there regularly, but they will generally know who is heading that way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”