Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do it or don't ? Learn it by yourself...

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Do it or don't ? Learn it by yourself...

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Burness wrote:Didn't take driving lessons either. :D
Someone with a license had to sit beside you till you did you final test....

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:The most dangerous part of kiting is launching and landing. That is true even when you have somebody else launching your kite. Your problem is that if you kite alone you will have to do a self-launch which is considered an advanced technique that requires very good kite control, something you won't have for a long time.
This is quite true when it comes to typical inflate kites.

Foil kites are far safer when it comes to self launching. Same goes for self landing.
5th line foil kites or Peter Lynn kites flag out and will not lift a rider.

Still somewhat risky, but nothing compared to an inflate.
It still needs to be done the right way and the manufacturers
show the self launching technique in the manuals.

As far as I know NO inflate manufacturer has printed instructions for self launching
due to it being risky and them not wanting liability.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 pm

chemosavi wrote:O - kay, paid a pile to some doods in Tulum (Mexico) to teach my son.

Put headphones on his head

as if he ever heard a word they said

Between the surf and the bad foreign accents.

About the only thing they did right was put him on the correct size kite

for the wind conditions that day.

Which is a lot. But everything else was a wash-wash-wash.

Tulum has shit winds (gusty) and choppy waves behind the reef. Beginner nightmare.

Couldashoudawoulda been better off throwing him into the water with lotsa space in front him after only a few key points about survival.

Get lessons but not with dopes who only want to pay their way to another day of non-lessons.

In summary, nobody can teach you how to kitesurf. They can only tell you what size kite to fly and how to launch and land it without killing yourself.

Everything else is shake-spear.
You went to the wrong place. Spend a family vacation in Cape Hatteras and go see http://www.kitehatteras.net

Saferider
Medium Poster
Gear: just getting it...

Postby Saferider » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Wow ! Nice to read about your opinions here. In the meantime I ordered a trainerkite, but got to wait another 3 months till I have it in my hands. For the moment I am building traditional kids kites from bamboo and tissue paper to enjoy the winds here and spend some nice time with my sons.

Funny thing is, I had two instructors from Europe on my table yesterday. They could not believe they are here and do not have their kite gear with them. Well, they might come visit me next year again. Let's see.

I also discussed with them the possibility to flight a small 4 line kite with 2,5m on a "normal" 4 line depower bar and harness, as I believe that might be the best practice. And probably it is a lot of fun, too.

Still planing to meet the Bali guys after I get bored with my trainer...

For your discussions about driving license. Where I live pretty much no one has one. Kids a riding 100cc scooters in the age of eight here. And father shows them how to drive a car when the time seems right. Well, a 12 year old kid just got killed the other day while racing with a bike on the airport runaway. But that could have happen anywhere. Otherwise traffic seems to work fine here. And this is the most crowded area in the world where I live and light or brakes on cars sometimes not work. A kind of controlled chaos here....So I would say driving a car/bike can be done "learning by doing" and get adjusted to the conditions and "gear". But of course it is pretty crazy, most of the times also illegal and sure not the safest way to stay out of trouble, physical and/or financial.

JBZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: texas city Levee, Sherman island
Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly

Postby JBZ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm

saferider, I learned on my own back in 2003 on 2 line Wipika's and C kites. It was a little different back then and instructors were harder to come by but not impossible. it was a pretty stupid thing to do in my opinion only because my learning curve was twice as long. I was not that unsafe as I had known how to fly a kite and had been riding surf boards and wake boards for a long time...but I was still "kooking it up" and in hindsight should have just forked out the money and did it the right way, it would have saved me money on gear because I killed a few kites. but I was successful! my feeling on the subject are a little mixed...I think it is a bad idea to self learn unless you have seasoned rider who more or less will help you out and that is what I had. a buddy of mine helped me out, he had a boat so we would go out into the middle of the lake or river and launch from his boat, there was no one around to hurt and nothing down wind. I didn't do a beach launch until I knew how to do a boat launch and ride both directions successfully.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:07 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Thor SFBay wrote:
As far as I know NO inflate manufacturer has printed instructions for self launching
Flexifoil certainly did, on paper that came with the kite.

Anyway, if it isn't on paper, it's on video, what's the difference?

JBZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: texas city Levee, Sherman island
Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly

Postby JBZ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:16 pm

corbett wrote:
FredBGG wrote:
Thor SFBay wrote:
Flexifoil certainly did, on paper that came with the kite.

Anyway, if it isn't on paper, it's on video, what's the difference?
SO did Best...back in the day. the old Waroo manual had the self launch/land technique

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Saferider wrote:Wow ! Nice to read about your opinions here. In the meantime I ordered a trainerkite, but got to wait another 3 months till I have it in my hands
Is that your birthday or something?

Saferider
Medium Poster
Gear: just getting it...

Postby Saferider » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:16 am

corbett wrote: Is that your birthday or something?
My birthday also around that time, but the reason it takes 3 month is that I live at some end of the world and the next kitestore would be probably 5000miles away. I have to get things from overseas.

..but another thing. Self Launching will be something I probably need to do myself because of several reasons. Of course I will try this after kite school etc...

Here is a technique that seemed rather safe. Talking to some kite instructor I met the other day confirmed that this method might be the "safest" way to do it.

What do you think ??? Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-eMu6hvwfs

Return to “Kitesurfing”