Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do it or don't ? Learn it by yourself...

Forum for kitesurfers
Saferider
Medium Poster
Gear: just getting it...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do it or don't ? Learn it by yourself...

Postby Saferider » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:58 am

......(skip to page 3 to find the answer)....

First I would like to say „Hello“ to this forum and its members. I am new to the sport, feel already addicted, read a lot here and I am just about to buy my first equipment...

It would be great if some of you could give my some advice based on their experience to make the decision a bit easier for me.

The spot I wanna kite-surf has usually a wind-range of 10 – 25 knots. I am learning about the wind atm and some days I realize lots of wind gusts, but other days it is rather constant. Talking to sailors they also mentioned that the mountains in the back have a great influence to the wind. I also went to the “Safety Topic Sticky” on this forum, to learn more and more...

I am an experienced surfer but on this spot surfing is not possible. The sea is rather flat. At least there are no big waves.

Now to the equipment. I already have a beginner Board. Cabrinah Prodigy 2008 148x40, which I believe will be a good choice for a beginner free-riding the sea around here. I also choose a seat harness, because I believe that I probably gonna stay hocked most of the times.

For the kite and bar, which I haven't purchased so far I am looking at the 2010- 13 Cabrinha Switchblades in 12m or a Best Kahoona in 12m. Probably will go for the Cab. Also the Cab Convert 12 is on my list. Later I think about to add a 9m.

For the bar I am bit unsure as I will probably will get bar and kite separate. ATM I see some good deals on 2014 Cab X-1 bars, which are new and 60% off. I know I can fly the ICS Cabs with this bar but it seems like they handle different.

Would you say it is a good choice for a beginner to go with a 2010 -13 ICS Switchy and combine it with a 2014 Cab X-1 bar ? (Or should I stick to ICS bars, especially since I am a beginner. Setup etc.) I actually already ordered a 2014 cab bar, since it was very well priced and new lines seem to be the choice and not to save money. Should I cancel if I want to fly with an ICS Cab and buy an ICS bar instead?

Are there any other kites that I should keep an eye on and would suit the conditions I want to ride as a beginner ? Btw I am around 175 lb

Now the last question, but probably most important question. I understand there are quite some risks in kiting and all say that this is not a sport you can learn watching some videos. Unfortunately I will not have much of choice than learning this sport by myself as there is nobody around that could show or even teach me. Next kite school is far away and would take me a lot of plannings and time to make a one week stay possible. Having a family does not make it easier. Last not least, I will also probably be alone to self launch and self land the kite. So I am a bit of a pioneer but have the advantage of having some materials with safety that hopefully will work when needed. I also plan to do my fist steps in the lightest wind possible. And yes, once I go on the water I have to ride alone (unless you guys plan to visit me). Would you say that is all close to “suicide” ?

Would you say, kite-boarding is „impossible“ to teach/ learn yourself ? I already know most will ;-(

...same for self launching/ landing as it seems to be possible only for experienced riders and than also depend a lot on the material?

Is a trainer kite a „must have“ before I even want to play with a serious 12m weapon ? Again, no schools or “teachers” around...

I have a feeling that most of those last questions, my common sense already gives the right answers (....and maybe I have to skip this fascinating sport. Even my homespot seems to be perfect for it :( )

Still I am very interested in your recommendations and thoughts. Thank You.

(Lots of thing in questions in a first post, I know... Please apologize...)
Last edited by Saferider on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Re: Do it or don't ? Learn it by yourself...

Postby vannibombonato » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:05 am

Learning by yourself is criminal: You put your life at risk, and you put others' life at risk as well.

The closest comparison to me is to driving while drunk.

therussiann
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oahu
Favorite Beaches: Oahu
Style: free, wave
Gear: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby therussiann » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 am

I am a beginner kiter, I have been snowboarding for about 9 years now and was self thought. Kite boarding is nothing like any other sport I have tried. Kite control is super essential and very different from anything else. Is it impossible to learn by yourself no just like any other extreme activity it will be much harder and frustrating but possible. Self launching does pose a danger, kiting in general possess a danger to the rider and people around the area so if you don't care about your safety still stay away from others. frie For some good self launch videos watch this guy channel https://youtu.be/G3WLkb2rHy8 he has a bunch of good videos. My advice if nothing else get someone to help you launche and catch the kite also safety abserve pay them like 10$ an hour

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:50 am

Don't.

I learned by myself a long time ago before there were many instructors or schools. There were certainly none in my area. I could have saved myself a lot of time, aggravation and some minor injuries had I gotten a few lessons from a good instructor. There is a lot to know about in this sport. Some of it takes time (measured in seasons) and experience. But you can get a lot of knowledge from a competent instructor.

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Postby PeaBody » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am

Go on holiday and learn there... Probably the best option for you..

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:39 am

It isn't impossible, just a bad idea as others have said and for lots of reasons. I was self-taught, lacking instructors within over 4500 miles to the east and west in those days. Kiting was very rare in those days, still we had some serious access problems within a couple of years, even sooner in some places. Today, there is nothing rare about access problems. Also, I ended up in the hospital and clinics as did some of the other early guys, some more than once, while figuring things out on our own.

Take the well intended advice being offered here, find some good caliber instruction even if it means going on vacation at a good wind destination. Don't be taken in by the apparent ease of the sport, it is a false impression.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:45 am

PeaBody wrote:Go on holiday and learn there... Probably the best option for you..
if you can, this is the best advice for you.

If you can't...well it is possible. But you have to read and train a lot before.
And then yes, a trainer kite is VERY important, to understand the power, technique and dangers.

If your spot is safe, and you learn in lighter winds, it will be ok.
If you have someone helping you launch and land, it will be a big step towards safety.

Doing all by yourself is rather dangerous.

Why not get a friend involved and you do it together?
That's how we did back then without schools etc.

If your beach is safe and you have shallow waters as well, you can do water starts and landings with the kite. Way safer than on land!

Search www.kiteforum.com, we have all info already stated. Check the wiki on here, and also the safety etc forum.
Then find videos on how to on www.kiteforum.tv etc.

But, just to say, much safer with lessons...fly to the Dominican Republic cheap, and get some lessons there, and you will be prepared for your home spot!

Keep us informed about your next steps.

Good luck for all!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Toby, there is still more to it than that, like staying far away from others, picking a spot with clean wind, a good downwind buffer, away from inlets, adverse currents, etc. etc.. By being far away from others, that demands you have fairly strong swimming skills, awareness, etc.. Not everyone has this skill set or awareness whether they realize it or not. Many times I have seen friends trying to learn this sport, without the preparation you detail, clueless leading the clueless hammer kites down on bystanders, not good. A good instructor compensates for and avoids problems related to these issues.

People will often avoid proper instruction to not put out the cash for what quality instruction costs. Saving money while harming our access, scaring bystanders and hurting the odd self-taught kiter is something we need to avoid. God knows we've sure talked about it on here enough for many years. I would hope people in areas with good instruction available wouldn't cheap out taking your well intended advice Toby and put themselves, others and our access at risk. People will always ask, how much does that gear cost rather than the more important question of how much does it cost to learn how to properly use it? Had a guy just last night ask again, probably the 300th one. There is a lot to learning this sport, more than can be easily summed up in a single post.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Take the lessons, but keep in mind that instructor quality varies and even if you have a great instructor he cannot teach you all the vital things.
Learn about the sea, waves, rips by reading the web... learn at least the basics of meteorology, cloud shapes, wind behavior. And watch a lot of youtube videos especially on launching, landing, emergency release, self rescue, right of way, and other beginner stuff. Always use a helmet and a impact vest/life vest... some are so comfy you will forget you have them on. Know how to use your hook knife! Welcome to the sport!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 pm

I agree with the go somewhere on holiday and get lessons. You want somewhere with consistent winds around 15 to 20 knots and shallow water.

Self launching and landing carries risks. The best solution if you have to ride on your own is to set places up where you can anchor launch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”