Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leaving Lines on

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Leaving Lines on

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:27 am

The few times I left the lines on they eventually turned out to be tangled. Anyway, as Plummet says, every foil owner leave them on but they use a precise procedure to store the bar with the kite. I think that if pump user do the same there should be no problem. It's a matter of habit and routine I think, you learn to detach the bar and you go on this way for no real reason.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:06 am

I leave them on the foil kites and take them off my LEI's. I am careful winding them up and tucking the bar in the kite. I rarely, if ever, have any problem with tangles when unwinding. I lay out the kite, pin it down, walk away unwrapping the lines, then walk back to the kite with the lines between my fingers to separate them, preinflate, go back to the bar and launch. Quick, easy, straightforward. Probably explains why I rarely use the LEI's anymore.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:59 pm

leave them on the foils take them off the inflatos.

I sometimes store my foil without the bar and invariably it takes me half an hour to untangle the bridle.

So that's why you want to store the bar with the foil. Even if you decide to switch bars it still takes less time.

For my inflatos I dont know which kite or which bar I'm gonna ride on any given day, so, say for instance I want to ride my 12 meter kite with my 24 lines, that bar I usually have on my 15m kite, and I usually have my 20 meter lines on my 12, so if I want to ride my 12 with my 24's I have to go find my 15, unwrap it take off the bar, wrap it back up, take the 20 off the 12, then put the 24 back on.

So for inflatos it's quicker and easier to undo the bars.

It's all about that foil bridle, it can turn into a real rat's nest if you don't store the kite with a bar. For the inflatos it's all about bar swapping. Do you always ride the same bar on the same kite? Then leave it attached. If you use different bars or swap bars between kites then don't store the kite with the bar. Simple.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:30 pm

edt wrote:For the inflatos it's all about bar swapping. Do you always ride the same bar on the same kite? Then leave it attached. Simple.
Yes i always ride the same bar/lines on the same kite so all lines stay attached.
(Also i always use the same wiper blades on the same car :lol: .)
Yes it cost a lot lot more that way to have complete set ups
I am used to it and it works well for where i ride and also since i often use the same size kite.
It is also simpler if where you ride you often go right back out the next day..and next day..etc

Makes it faster also if i prep my wife's kite ahead of time before she gets to the beach
She also often rides the same size kite...sometimes 2 or 3 times on a good week

Do what you like to do. :D

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:44 pm

I do leave my lines on from time to time.
Last edited by PullStrings on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NDkiter
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, OR -
Gear: Ozone Edge - Ozone C4 - Ozone Reo - Ozone Zephyr
Been thanked: 0

Postby NDkiter » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:25 pm

I take bar and lines off of LEIs. Mainly because I need to dry them out, same with the kite. But even in the winter when I snowkite I take them off, because it just seems the easiest thing to do.

Now foils I leave them on. Every foil I have has its own bar. By leaving them on you tend to avoid the bridal tangles you get otherwise.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Most people have a quiver of lei's and don't have 1 bar per kite.
I have 4 lei's and 2 bars. One normal condition bar. And one newish bar for extreme conditions when only the best equipment will do.

Leaving lines on for lei's doesn't work for me.

I also want to wash the bar down every session. That's more a pain in the arse when its still attached to a kite.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:39 pm

People pack parachutes and jump out of planes and *most* of the time they don't have tangles. We don't need to pack it nearly that carefully. If you can't pack away a kite and unpack it without a tangle you need to pay more attention to what you're doing with the bar. I always put the bar down near the middle of the kite just up from the inflate valve (upwind of the kite). If the kite is nose down, like how you put the kite normally on the beach, the lines are under the LE, on the ground. Any time you pick up your kite just also pick up your bar and move them together. NEVER pick up the kite and drag the bar around from the kite. Roll up your kite with the bar just off in front of the kite, then put it on top of the rolled up kite when it goes in the bag.

If you learn to do this, it will work 99.999% of the time. I have accumulated bars over the years and have one for every kite. I never take them off, and they're always ready to ride. There's no way an one who takes their lines off is going to have it easier or faster than when they're on the kite and when you know how to not mess it up.

It is correct that you should inspect things, and maybe taking them off forces you to do this. I tend to look at my lines as I am packing them up, so I know they're all ready for the next day.

Peter

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:10 am

Funny parachutes got brought up???? I can pack my sport rig faster than I set up a kite..... base pack job takes a little longer.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:02 am

Of course I leave them on. Since 10 years and never understood why you would bother to take them off. Its just stupid (except for the typical reasons - not enought bars).

In worst case you have twist which you can untwist in 10 secs Never a wrong line connected and much faster too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”