Gear: North Orbit
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cutting down wetsuit legs?

Postby kelamist » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:11 am

I got a new o'neill pyrotech steamer at the start of winter, im really happy with it.

It is a little long in the legs though, would be mint if I could cut about 2-3cm off the bottom. I'm a bit hesitant to cut the wetsuit even though I've heard it can be done and wont damage it?

Has anyone done this before or have any tips on cutting wetsuit without damaging it?

I've also heard of people using a soldering iron to burn a small hole at the bottom of legs (around ankle) to stop legs from ballooning up when water is forced in and trapped while riding?? anyone tried this?

Cheers,

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Re: Cutting down wetsuit legs?

Postby IanNJ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40 pm

I have a 3/2 pyrotech super streachy!!! I have used a knife to poke holes in the legs to stop the ballone issue. It has not ruined the suit yet. I am
More careful when putting it on as to not rip the holes bigger

Hard2Handle
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle, wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus (3)
Bhoot (2)

Postby Hard2Handle » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:04 pm

I also have a O'Neill wetsuit and cut the legs to make it shorter. Used the suit for abot 2 years now without problems. After cutting it with scissors I melted the edges a little bit with a lighter to stop it from raffling.
And I also made 3 holes right by the kalfes to stop it from ballooning up with a soldering iron.
Advantage of using a soldering iron is you get bigger hole and it melts the edge to stop it from raffling.
If you wear surf boots in the winter make sure you put those on before you make the holes so you can be sure the holes are above the boots.

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

I also had the water being forced up the leg problem.
Now I just take the Velcro straps off my winter boots and put them on nice and tight around the ankles. Stops all the water.

Thermal
Medium Poster

Postby Thermal » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:42 pm

As an alternative for next time you buy a wetsuit, I recently bought an "extended leg" Crossfire Mystic Wetsuit and couldn't be happier. In fact, so happy that I started w/ a 4/3 for winter, and then bought the 2/3 version for summer. Great wetsuit! I found last years models on Amazon for great pricing. Its like a long sleeve spring, but a lot better since it goes below the knees, but does not hold water at all... http://www.mysticboarding.com/products/ ... eur_4d5c6d

I also use for regular surfing as well, and like how it feels, although I do have a couple year old full for winter surf as well.

Enjoy!

kelamist
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: All round, wave, boosting
Gear: North Orbit
Switch Nitro
Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby kelamist » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:21 am

Sweet :D

Sounds like i should have no problems cutting with scissors then burning to seal edge, and using soldering iron to make small ankle holes.

Will give this a go, and get back to you with results! :thumb:

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:57 am

How about heating up a nail (or brad or old drill) and plunging that though the neoprene ? It would be easy to control the hole size by suitable choice of nail size.

FWIW, my Ion Quantum 4/3 semi-dry suit has 4 small holes located along a vertical line about 7, 8, 9, & 10 cm from the bottom of the leg. In terms of diameter, a 1.5 mm drill fits through these holes easily. A 2 mm drill fits through but is snug. Probably stretching the neoprene a bit. There is an extra piece of backing tape on the inside of the suit where the holes are.

I am not a fan of sealing the calves tight with a strap as previously suggested. Any water that comes in from the top has no chanced of escaping. I guess that might work if I never fell in :wink:

I am interested in hearing your results as I need to make a similar mod to another suit of mine.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:22 am

I have cut my wetsuits down for years and never had any issues. Just use a sharp pair if scissors and cut straight. It's neoprene so you won't have fibers fraying like you would a pair of cut off shorts.

harry potter
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrhina

Postby harry potter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:01 am

Cut mine down have done for years......
The first one is hard to do your just not sure about cutting a perfectly good wetsuit.

But no more Gumby legs

Now I don't hesitate
Attachments
image.jpg

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 pm

andrewjohn wrote:I also had the water being forced up the leg problem.
Now I just take the Velcro straps off my winter boots and put them on nice and tight around the ankles. Stops all the water.
I had this issue until I simply took a Bic lighter and melted the rubber at the back of my leg until it was hot and then pushed the lighter end through to make a hole.

Suit drains perfectly now, the hole is no more than a centimetre in size and if / when I wear booties it is covered up so no noticeable downside.

Return to “Kitesurfing”