Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 11m kite

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

I always felt underpowered on an 11 (except the 11 edge which was sweet size). Then I used 12a in that bracket until they too lacked power. Now my main kite size is a 13 and I run a 16 above this and a 10/6 below this. Perfect for me. It all depends on the conditions you ride in, what you are trying to achieve and what type of kite. 13m is my fav size @ 74kg. Always plenty of power in the majority of wind speed I'm in 17 to 22.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby IanNJ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 pm

The kites are the new Core Section. The 11 throws a whole wrench in the mix. Im gonna need to get the 10 so we can do proper reviews and comparisons to the GTS3, XR4 and then other kites on its class like the Reo and Drifter. No one has any info on these kites so its not as easy as asking about a switchblade or rebel. Thanks for your imput guys. Ill send it back and get the 10... Hopefully we get some wind and can get out a review this weekend.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Are people actually so narrow in their perceptions that they get hung up on kite sizes? They are just a number, and in terms of actual fabric size brand to brand its a pretty subjective one.

Naish has made their better selling models in one meter increments for eons.

Other ridiculously long standing kite models have come in 7,9,11,13 since the near dawn of the sport.

Kite sizes, published wind ranges, these things are estimates.

https://youtu.be/KOO5S4vxi0o

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:36 pm

11m Rebel is a fantastic kite. Quite a bit faster turning than the 12 and more power than the 10. Actually, the 9/10/11 range has always been the sweet spot for the Rebels, IMO.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:21 pm

9m has long been the sweet size in almost any kites range.

In the history of the sport there have been more 9m prototypes than probably all others combined. It has a lot to do with where companies choose to developed kites, that this size gets the lions share of the R&D. Up until very recently everything else is to some extent modelled from there both up and down the size range. Its also the size/wind range where the combined performance of speed and raw power are maxed so that a skilled rider can produce better all round performance than they can with a slightly larger slower kite.

Over the last few years designs have improved to creep that sweet spot up to around the 11m mark before kite speed begins to drop off dragging most other ingredients for overall performance with it.

Only in the last few years have we really seen LEI's begin to break the "rules" with truly lighter, faster and better performing light wind designs, but the reality is that conditions also drop off WRT fun and performance so 9-11m remain the overall sweet spot for the 75 kg rider in terms of both kite size and conditions.

Foil kites have long been able to pull like trucks, but typically they also turn like trucks and beyond racing, mowing the lawn and hang time, they have not really been the holy grail of fun free riding.

Foil boards are the latest game changer that are redefining the light wind landscape for both lei and foil kite designs. We will see better light wind designs as a result.

After years of wind snobbery on a 10m as my biggest, I have slowly migrated to 11m and now a 12, but in a drastically different design than previous years. I now have four kites between 9 and 12m that cover very different wind ranges on drastically different boards.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:57 pm

IanNJ wrote:Do people actually use these? If so whats your quiver?? I recently switched from the 12/9/7 to a 12/10/8 quiver. Then i placed an order and they sent a 12/11/8 hummm... I guess the 11/8 would be good travel kites... Fyi- these are wave specific kites and im a hefty 190lbs
I weigh 165 pounds; my quiver 7-9-11 and 15 lw specific.

Last year I had a 12m which I used it almost as a LW kite. I was looking for something a bit quicker but with some decent power.

After trying a Core Xr4 11m I ordered one. It is really awesome. Great with my TT to crank some big air and also very good with my sector since it has a pretty high AR.

I Freeride, freerace and crank some big ones, I also like to surf a bit.

This is my first 11m kite and I wonder why I didn't get one before. I always thought that it was too close to a 9m but I guess I was wrong.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:05 pm

It depends on where you live, the type of wind usually, what boards you're using and weight. Someone could ride an 11m Switchblade as their biggest kite with a race board while others go and pump up their 11m when the wind picks after using their 14m.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:17 pm

205# mostly riding 15-25 knots with a 12/10/8 quiver. The 10 sees the least amount of action because of the wide wind range on the Switch Nitro kites. But there have been days when the 8m is too small unless I want to work the $hit out of it and the 12m is too big unless I want to ride it depowered and not be able to hold an edge. 23 to 32 knots seems to be the sweet spot for my weight on a 10m.

I would think having an 11m and 12m would be a waste. And like others have already mentioned, numbers mean nothing. Try 5 different 10m kites in the same day and you'll agree.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:56 pm

I have 11 & 13 Renegades. Great combination that works for me in winds from 18-30. I have a 9 (Wainman) but I've only had it out of the bag 3 times in 6 years.

The fact that Epic offers odd numbered sizes was the first thing that attracted me to the company. One of my best buys ever. (After my Mako :D )

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Maybe just me, I know, but I dont understand this thread ? :roll:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”