Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Firewire Vader

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

I see what you mean but the Vader is still there, you just need to click on "all kiteboards"

https://shop.firewiresurfboards.com/col ... -kiteboard

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Did you guys try to ride traditional shape after riding those noseless shapes? For this season I got Vader 5'5 FST kite for lighter conditions for my 85kg. Somehow so far we got light conditions only so I was riding that Vader only until the last session when it was way too much for my 8m. I was shocked that I basically need to learn to ride again with my old Mulcoy Pro 6'0 stick. This stick felt so light that it was hard to keep it under feet when going over heavy mush. On the wave it felt so agile that I was hardly able to balance and draw lines. That's the stick I rode for few years before this season without any probs (except not so much joy in light conditions). Now I'm pretty sure my 5'5 is oversized for me, but never thought that the stability it brings will affect my skills so much. Vader is interesting shape for sure, it planes well flat powerless waves, goes through chop nicely, but it turns much harder than performance shortboard and feels so different comparing to tradition shape.

https://vimeo.com/223977588

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:49 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:33 pm
Now I'm pretty sure my 5'5 is oversized for me, but never thought that the stability it brings will affect my skills so much. Vader is interesting shape for sure, it planes well flat powerless waves, goes through chop nicely, but it turns much harder than performance shortboard and feels so different comparing to tradition shape.

The issue you're having is due to the 5'5" VD being way too big of a board. At 85kg you ought to be on the 5'1" for most conditions. Also, the wide tail on the Tomo's means you really need to be back on the tail to make them turn properly. Trying to turn with your back foot on the front of the pad like in your video isn't going to work very well.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:06 am

I have the VD 5"1. It's a great board for windy conditions but sucks in light winds ! Which is why I just purchased a Nugget 5"3. So I suggest you keep your Nugget and get a 5"1 for windy days like me :-)

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks. I'm thinking what's the point of riding 5'1 Vader as it obviously will not have that light conditions performance. For nuking conditions nothing can beat great shortboard. I'm thinking that maybe EVO would be better fit for light conditions as I still keep traditional shortboard for great days.

What fins do you use? I have AM1 Blackstix that maybe is slightly too large? Maybe adding small F4 would give a bit more of turning performance even on my oversized Vader?

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 am

+1 for the Evo but there's another thread to talk about that.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 am

I have a 4' 10" evo and 5' 6" celebritas more a classic surfboard shape.

The evo is more slashy. So you can shove it sideways to change direction.

On the longer celeritas board you can really bury the rail and nose and power throough a turn so you can just let the rocker turn it.

It toook me a couple of sessions to stop burping the nose on the Evo.

I've ridden the 5' 1" Vader and felt it had similar characteristics to the evo

tao189
Rare Poster
Gear: nugget 5'2 2015 csc
rsc supreme 5

Postby tao189 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:42 pm

topmick wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:11 pm
If I were you Tao,

I'd get either a 5'1 Vader or Evo, you will loose a tiny bit of low end but will gain a heap of performance.

The VG imo, doesn't shine like the other 2 FW boards.
hi topmick ,

finally , i bought the vader in 5'3 ; in fact lots of kiter said 5'1 will be the best choice but in my case i have 2 things to do with :

1) my idea is to sell the nugget 5'2 29l because i want to kite only on the vader . so i need to be on planning with 10 nds of wind ...
2) i kite for 5 years and have only a few sessions on the nugget without straps so i prefer to take a size for the major wind i have here that's 60 % 10/15 nds , 30% 15/20 nds and 10% 20/25 nds ...

3) my use is 75% for freestyle and 25% in little waves

here i go from 63 width of the nugget to 45 cm for the vader 5'3 ; that's a big change ...

in a short time , when i will know my vader , i will see if i need also a shorter board to complete ; in fact , i have the idea vader 5'3 for winds from 10 to 15 nds with 12m kite and then a vader 5'1 or 4'10" ( i wonder what will be the best option for me... :naughty:)for winds range from 16 to 25 nds with my 9m , ( may be i will buy also a 6 or 7 because i always prefer to have the little kite possible on the water ...
i will test my vader for the first time sunday ...i will see my first impressions on it ...

.so my idea is to have 2 boards with the same sensation for all my sessions all the year ...

the only thing i'm sure is that i want to progress in strapless and do only strapless

ps : sorry for my bad english :mosh:
Last edited by tao189 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tao189
Rare Poster
Gear: nugget 5'2 2015 csc
rsc supreme 5

Postby tao189 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

hi ,

i've test my vader 5'3 2 days :
- day 1 : wind unstable 8/10 nds first , after 12/14 nds , 8/10 nds and 14/15 nds ...here are my first impression : WAOUW...

Normally when i come on the spot ( i was the only one because asmatic wind forecast) , my first idea was to put 15m (my weight +-76 kg ) ...but i thought to test the board and see really the low range of it , it would be better to take the 12m airush lithium . Immediately , the planning was there ; i was estonished and couldn' t believe it ...
after the wind goes up a little to 13/14 nds and need to trim the 12m ...
in fact , the most important thing for me , is that the sensations on this board are fantastic ! it was that day 1 flat water and decided to go with no boot to feel the best way the sensation ... after 10 minutes , i have understood this board is the one i want . i've spend 5 hours in that wind to understand a little better where to put my front and rear foot and try some little jump and basic transition .

in conclusion of that session , i would say i go on planning as the same way as if i was with the nugget ...no difference for me ...the sensations are incredible , the board is really stable and sensitive , the jibe and the carving are really exciting on it .
at the end at this session , i decided to sell my nugget and my fly 15m ...for me , i prefer to kite with the 5'3 vader and the 12m lithium ...

- day 2 : wind also unstable but stronger : 15/16 nds with sometimes 22/25 nds ...i decide to put my smaller kite lithium 9m :

- the spot is choppy with littles waves at some place . i try lots of time to jump and surf some small waves ...the board is really glue to my foots , incredible sensation always on carving and rapid jibe ; this board is really fun but my level in strapless limite what i can do with it for the moment . i've to learn a lot on strapless tricks . Sometimes , i've overtake the limit of my sail , 9m was sometimes really to big for that wind .

in conclusion of day 2 , i think i will soon need a smaller kite 7 or 6 m may be to be more cool and relax in that kind of wind .
i also rrealise i have to learn a lot to do some strapless tricks.
i thought the board is really confortable in that choppy water , and enjoy very much to ride the vader for the 2nd session .
i would be curious to test a 5'1 to see the difference with this 5'3 ...but here i've no possibility to test one ...i don't know if i need a shorter one on flat water ; but i think a shorter one would be better when i will go on real waves at the sea ...

so the conclusion is that i can sell my nugget , i don't need it anymore and prefer the sensation on the vader ; i don' need my 15 m anymore too ...
so now i will have 12m 9m and i think a 7 or 6 kite ...
for the board the vader 5'3 would be mine in all my sessions but i always think may be to buy another smaller one , 5'1 or 4'10 , for the more windy conditions or for the real waves at the sea ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”