Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Ozone Catalyst
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting/learning spanish South-America

Postby qq1992 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to South-America with my girlfriend. The plan is to start at a place where I can kite for 3-4 weeks and where my girlfriend can windsurf. We are both beginners, so onshore wind and small or no waves is desirable. Because we both don't speak spanish, we would like to take spanish lessons during those 3 weeks.

We want to leave mid november, and will travel for 2 months. So after the kiting we would like to travel around in the country where we are staying.

Places wich I found are Colombia (cartagena), Peru (mancora), Nicaragua and Ecuador. I've heard Cartagena is a cool place to stay for a few weeks and there is the posibility to take spanish lessons as well. But maybe we are a bit too early for the wind season?

Do you guys have any suggestions or tips for our trip?

Thanks a lot! :D

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride
Gear: AGAMA KOMODO board, Affinis 12m kite
Brand Affiliation: AGAMA EXTREME

Re: Kiting/learning spanish South-America

Postby abel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:55 pm

If Spanish is a must, then I can't help 8)

But anyhow, I would suggest Araruama lake in Brazil. It's a beginners dream.
In Brazil the odds that people speak English are better, so language is a lesser issue.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Try Pure Kitesurfing in Cartagena, Colombia. The owner can set you up with someone who can teach you Spanish. I have been there a number of times. Great kiting and the city is very nice too. You can take Spanish lessons in the morning and kite lessons in the afternoon. Finish it off with a delicious dinner in town.

qq1992
Rare Poster

Postby qq1992 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:46 pm

For my girlfriend is learning spanish a must, so Brazil is unfortunately no option :P

Cartagena sounds great, but I found on internet that the windseason starts in december. Will there be any kite-able days in the end of november?

And do you guys have any experience with travelling around with your kitegear?

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:51 pm

For learning I think san andres isla (colombian island) would be much better than cartagena. Perfect learning conditions. Shallow, clear, warm, flat water, no need for rescue boats. I haven't kited at cartagena but understand it is all in waves.
I don't know about any language schools in san andres though. Although lots of friendly people to practice with. Check Blue Almond web site for a niceplace to stay.. Early November is sometimes a little early for good wind but this last year it was very good. Generally December is start of good wind. But it sounds like you are going to be traveling for a while so you should be good.
Maybe spend a week in cartagena sight seeing first and then head to san andres for kiting.
I have had no problem with "golf" bag on copa airlines or Avianca.

zact
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Manly, Queensland
Style: Kook
Gear: Naish Cult '08 - 9 and 12

Postby zact » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:49 am

I windsurf, kitesurf, speak Spanish and have spent a couple of months in Mancora.

There are a couple of kitesurfing schools in town, and the best place to learn is Los Organos, about 20min South. This is where most of the schools give the lessons. Fantastic spot for learning with pretty consistent cross shore winds and only tiny waves at most. Mancora itself was flat as most of the time I was there, but that is apparently quite unusual. The waves do get pretty big when they do come in. The downwinder from Organos to Mancora is worth doing.

I didn't see any windsurfing happening around there. I don't think there is anyone who hires the gear there and travelling with windsurfing kit is an absolute pain. I still love windsurfing, but this is a major downside to the sport.

There is a Spanish school in town. Well, school might not be quite the right word. A woman teaches from home. The main problem is that if you are kitesurfing, you will be mingling with other kitesurfers - most of whom will be English speakers. I suspect you'll have that problem wherever you want to kite. It is MUCH easier to learn Spanish if you put yourself in an environment where you don't use English. You can still do both. But it takes a lot more discipline if you are surrounded by English all the time.

Buena suerte!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:56 am

Oldpeople knows it very well.

San Andres is a dream for learning.

But a bit too early for wind...December and the following months are much better.

But, if you drive closer to the Cabo, east from Cartagena (6 hrs), you will find more wind.
Locals say there is almost every day wind.

Cartagena is awesome, recommended! And Colombians are very nice people!
Can't you leave later and stay longer?

qq1992
Rare Poster

Postby qq1992 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:23 am

Thanks for the good advice guys! We're still not sure where to go. Unfortunately we have to go between mid november and the end of januari because of study. Because I'm still a beginner I only have a 10m kite (weight is 70kg). Would that be ok for the start of the wind season in Peru/Colombia?

Thanks a lot!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:38 am

I think Colombia will not be that good in the beginning of your trip.
Peru I don't know.

Also consider Ecuador...I think they have the same season as Brazil...so you would have good winds in that time. Check on www.splocs.com for spots and more info.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby speedyRider » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:02 am

It is el nino season this year so colombia will work better than other years. For sure check puerto velero near barranquilla, the wind is always stronger there and the season starts earlier too. You can stay at puerto colombia and try to find lessons there. I will be there in december.

Return to “Kitesurfing”