Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ladies' Specific Boards

Postby KiteDR » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Looking at boards for my wife, she'll be mostly freeride so taking that into consideration, any suggestions? And can anyone share their experience for the following boards I've been thinking about?

LF Bliss - cheapest option for us
Shinn Toyboy - I have a Monk and love it
Cab XO - Recommended from a friend, but expensive

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Re: Ladies' Specific Boards

Postby greginkw » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Check out the Diamond series from Airush. They are kites and boards specificaly for the ladies.
http://oceanextremesports.com/collectio ... -diamond-1

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 am

Most girly boards are just smaller versions with pink splashed on them. Just get the board that you like yourself for your girlfriend/wife but then a smaller size. At least she'll get a performance board then.

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn

Postby KiteDR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:22 pm

From what I read, they actually make them narrower to compensate for weight, and make the stance narrower as well. I did let my wife use both my boards while she was learning - and starting was great, gave her more SA to learn the water-start. However, riding a more performance oriented board built for people weighing 20 kg more than her, way too much surface area, she was flying! Which, she didn't consider much fun :)

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 pm

Selecting the right board for her comes down to a lot of different factors, skill, weight, aggression and conditions are a few of them. Sometimes a "performance" board is not the right choice. You may want to also check out the Axis Vanguard as an option especially if you are shopping for a price point board, there are some great deals on 2014 boards. One of the downsides of buying a girl/lady specific kiteboard or kite that you do have very limited color options.
http://oceanextremesports.com/collectio ... s-vanguard

As far as girly boards, here is Bruna Kajiya official Facebook page, I only wish I could ride as hardcore as her.
https://www.facebook.com/BrunaKajiya

Regards
Greg
Ocean Extreme Sports

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:34 pm

KiteDR is correct as it relates to the Cabrinha XO. It is a cm narrower than the same size Cabrinha XCaliber for example. The footstrap inserts are 1" closer to the center (handle) on each side to accomadate a shorter persson and the XO is a bit softer to accomodate a rider with less weight.
steve

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Girls boards ahahaha.... all that matters is that the board is an appropriate size and shape for the particular rider, gender is irrelevant except when it comes to marketing! Girls kites will be next because women fly kites differently to men :lol:

question.... do these chick boards cater for the 6ft, 80kg heffa's as well? What about trannys? :lol:

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Postby Rufusz » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:51 pm

slim_charles wrote:Girls boards ahahaha.... all that matters is that the board is an appropriate size and shape for the particular rider, gender is irrelevant except when it comes to marketing! Girls kites will be next because women fly kites differently to men :lol:

question.... do these chick boards cater for the 6ft, 80kg heffa's as well? What about trannys? :lol:
Man you just made a huge mistake... wait and see how the brand reps will eat you alive explaining all the new developments revolutionary technologies of women specific kite equipment, not to mention the thousands of engineering hours. In fact according to the latest research ladies riding in regular (not woman specific) kite equipment risk injury and a steeper learning curve.... yeah right same shit as seen on running shoes, skis, bikes and who knows what...

The idea of tranny specific board could lead to a new market... 2017 Shinn Ladyboy anyone? ;-)

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:41 pm

The first board my girlfriend bought was a shinn monokini, what a POS. The thing was superflat, superstiff and just terrible in every way. Then she got a brunotti dimension which was great but delaminated, now she has a cabrinha caliber and she's super happy with it. The XO wasn't her thing with all the flowery pinky things on it. Then again, she rides harder than most guys.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:31 pm

...our Mako 135cm boards are very popular with lighter riders, including many lady riders.

Return to “Kitesurfing”