Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How Many LEI Riders Own A Foil Kite For Ultra-Light Wind?

Forum for kitesurfers
balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How Many LEI Riders Own A Foil Kite For Ultra-Light Wind

Postby balugh » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:14 am

Hawaiis wrote:I see a lots of slightly used race foil kites for sale now.
Just like me, bought a Speed 3, tried it and take a hit, cut my losses and sell it.
They're race kites so they upgrade every year...or even more often. There's a lot more using foils now so there will be a lot more for sale good condition second hand... :-). I have friends who sails laser dinghies competitively and will sell his complete every year...more often in a heavy racing year. After all 0.5 seconds per tack can be a long long way back at the final buoy.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 am

Just like me, bought a Speed 3, tried it and take a hit, cut my losses and sell it.
I bought four of the second hand chrono's and they rock. I hardly use the LEI's anymore.

The 9, 12 and 18 bridles are all micky mouse and the 15 bridle needs a little work after I snapped a line.

I have definitely done the launch inversion thing you posted, but once I started to pre-fill my kites with a battery power leaf blower, I haven't had an issue since.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 am

balugh wrote:
They're race kites so they upgrade every year...or even more often. There's a lot more using foils now so there will be a lot more for sale good condition second hand... :-). I have friends who sails laser dinghies competitively and will sell his complete every year...more often in a heavy racing year. After all 0.5 seconds per tack can be a long long way back at the final buoy.
I am pretty sure some of the sellers did not participate in the races.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:56 am

Hawaiis wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:The Speed 3 turns so slow, looping does not produce more power.
I haven't ridden the Speeds very much, but the Chrono and Sonics give more power when you loop them than any inflatable I've ridden.
I have not tried any of the race foil kites yet.
There is no doubt in my mind that the new race kites are hands down superior in ultra light winds. All the racers agree because they have dumped their lei's like hot potatoes and now ride foils.

If you couldn't get a lower end from your speed 21 than a 17m lei it is due to lack of foil flying skill and or lack of kite set up. Certainly its not the kites fault. .

The new race kites leave the speed 3/4 for dead as far as light wind performance is concerned. Its like stepping from a truck to a F1 race care. The difference is mind blowing. The difference compared to the best upwinding lei on the planet (ozone edge) is also mind blowing. Going from an edge to a chrono is like going from a reo to an edge. Its fucken madness. You have to experience it to believe it.

That said if you can't handle the speed 3 there will be a serious learning curve for the chrono/sonic. You would have to allow 2-3 months to go from hating the flying difficulty to thinking man this kite is stable.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:59 am

bigtone667 wrote:
I bought four of the second hand chrono's and they rock. I hardly use the LEI's anymore.

The 9, 12 and 18 bridles are all micky mouse and the 15 bridle needs a little work after I snapped a line.

I have definitely done the launch inversion thing you posted, but once I started to pre-fill my kites with a battery power leaf blower, I haven't had an issue since.
When you say Micky mouse, do you mean they are cartoonish?Ozone recommend check and replace every 60 hours.
How do you compare the Chrono 18 vs Edge 19 on a foil board at around 6 knots wind?
Thanks

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 am

plummet wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that the new race kites are hands down superior in ultra light winds. All the racers agree because they have dumped their lei's like hot potatoes and now ride foils.

If you couldn't get a lower end from your speed 21 than a 17m lei it is due to lack of foil flying skill and or lack of kite set up. Certainly its not the kites fault. .

The new race kites leave the speed 3/4 for dead as far as light wind performance is concerned. Its like stepping from a truck to a F1 race care. The difference is mind blowing. The difference compared to the best upwinding lei on the planet (ozone edge) is also mind blowing. Going from an edge to a chrono is like going from a reo to an edge. Its fucken madness. You have to experience it to believe it.

That said if you can't handle the speed 3 there will be a serious learning curve for the chrono/sonic. You would have to allow 2-3 months to go from hating the flying difficulty to thinking man this kite is stable.
I am sure the 12m Chrono will outperform the 12m Edge. My question is between the 18 Chrono is rated at 6 knots vs 5 knots for the Edge 19 by Ozone. Have you ridden the Chrono 18?
Thanks

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 am

I just watched Hawaiis video ......it's super light wind....you completely depowered the foil - flew it to the edge of the window and then wondered why it stalled and fell over. And then you have the temerity to complain about the kite. I would be ashamed to have posted that video...it makes you look like a beginner one week after their training course

Talk about a bad workman blaming his tools.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:27 am

Pump me up wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
Haha!! That's brilliant Hawaiis! Is it ok if I use it in the standard dissertation on the inferiority of ram airs?

:pump: ..... Pumpy
It is in public domain. :D

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:33 am

Carlos_C wrote:I just watched Hawaiis video ......it's super light wind....you completely depowered the foil - flew it to the edge of the window and then wondered why it stalled and fell over. And then you have the temerity to complain about the kite. I would be ashamed to have posted that video...it makes you look like a beginner one week after their training course

Talk about a bad workman blaming his tools.
That was a video I found on YouTube

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:57 am

Hawaiis wrote:Ozone recommend check and replace every 60 hours.
That's the R1, not the Chrono, and that's only to keep it in peak condition for the bleeding edge racers. If you're a weekend warrior, Chrono 1/2 would be recommended, I guess.

19m Edge? Isn't that too big and slow for a foil board? I thought you guys need smaller, faster kites that like apparent wind?

Return to “Kitesurfing”