2016 Ozone Catalyst

Forum for kitesurfers
skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

2016 Ozone Catalyst

Postby skullcandy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 pm

I know I know - its only a marketing game, but with the 2016 Cats coming out in a couple weeks, any knowledge from insiders on differences from 2015? The 2015 Cat is pretty good (10m and under IMO) so its hard to believe the 2016 will change much?

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2016 Ozone Catalyst

Postby IanNJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Ozone has moved to a every other year release. BUT they still release every year if that makes sense. One year they change color and the off year they change bridal and make tweeks or re-design. don't quote me on that...but im fairly certain.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skullcandy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:44 pm

IanNJ wrote:Ozone has moved to a every other year release. BUT they still release every year if that makes sense. One year they change color and the off year they change bridal and make tweeks or re-design. don't quote me on that...but im fairly certain.

Thanks - Ive got a feeling it will be similar to V3 Reo in that the color scheme just changed from previous model, not the kite design.

Krommen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Gear: Ozone Catalyst 2014
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Krommen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:11 am

Hi, I have been hearing that Ozone is changing the catalyst 2016. From what I hear there will be a beginner version and an advanced version. Does anyone have more specific information? I have been very content with my Catalyst (10-7-6) but Im thinking of selling it because of the wear and tear. Usually I sell my gear before buying new but I'm looking for more info before I make my decision.

Anyone?

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:18 am

That is correct from what I have heard as well. A beginners version is the newest Cat to be released though I have not seen anything on it just yet.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skullcandy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Ugh... why do kite companies do this? The 2015 Cat is a great all rounder - no need to mess with it and make a "beginner" version. The current design works well for every skill level!

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby baxterbradford » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:11 pm

When you say beginner version, does that mean in addition to the standard one? Something suitable for schools and less finesse with fittings (one pump etc), a bit like the Airush DNA and Lithium perhaps?

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Correct. From what i have heard is that there will be two versions. I think they are still working on the beginner friendly version, but the other is ready....I believe but can't confirm 100percent

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skullcandy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Heres the info I got from my local shop:

"The new Catalyst will be called the Catalyst V1 as we went right back to the drawing board with this design of our entry level model. The V1 means that this is an entirely new shape and a totally different kite to the Catalyst 2015. The Catalyst V1 is now our dedicated entry level kite, it is not a follow on from the 2015 model in terms of high performance. It is a super easy, amazingly fun and simple ENTRY LEVEL to Intermediate kite. It has a massive wind range, excellent de-power and amazing re-launch. There will be a new kite model coming down the pipe later in the year to fill the gap that the old Catalyst was filling but this is top secret at the moment."

The current Catalyst (2015) is awesome and I don't know why they would mess with it. I guess we will see later this year or early next what comes out in terms of the "Advanced" Catalyst.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 am

Hi guys, I am Iain the GM from Ozone.

Thanks for getting excited about the future release of the Catalyst and I can understand your thoughts. I would like to settle the confusion now even though this will all be on the website asap. There will NOT be 2 versions of the Catalyst in 2016, we are bringing the Catalyst name back to where it started which is for an entry level, all round, fun machine to get people started in the sport and to bring them up quickly to the next level. Hence then name "Catalyst".

We have felt that the current Catalyst had moved away a little from the entry level area in terms of performance and some of the entry level people were struggling with the high performance and the relaunch could have been easier for them too. So, we are bringing out the Catalyst V1, an all new design suited for Entry level and pure all round fun in the water. Easy to ride, easy to relaunch and at a great price.

If you are looking to replace the performance of your current Catalyst 2015 then please wait a couple of months before selling your kites as we will have a new model in the range to fill the place of Intermediate / advanced free ride. The performance will be similar to the current, much loved Catalyst but will have a different name more suited to the riders and some performance gain too.

We are all very excited about this new range set up and hope that you will be patient with the new release of the kite. Thanks again for trusting in Ozone and buying our kites, as riders ourselves, we know that there is a lot to choose from out there and really appreciate your custom and loyalty.

All the best, Iain

PS, On the marketing game subject, all of us at Ozone do not agree with the yearly push for new models so we came out with the Version Strategy this year for our kites. Here is what we say on the web....

http://ozonekites.com/info/about-ozone/

Version Strategy

We are happy to announce that from this year, 2015, we have moved away from naming our products on a yearly basis (i.e. CATALYST 2015) and we are now using the V for Version on all our kite models. The first new kite to come with this name culture is the EDGE V8, Version eight of our High Performance tube kite. We have done this to avoid confusion in model updates and it also gives our design time for innovation rather than constantly updating because a calendar year has passed. We will still have a colour change each year to keep everything up to date and looking fresh within the market place.

We believe this is good news for everyone involved, distributors, dealers and the all important end user.

Return to “Kitesurfing”