Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The good/bad manufacturers thread

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: The good/bad manufacturers thread

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 pm

SSK wrote:
I can tell you how, after being screwed up the you know what by the Cab prices the only way to avoid buyers remorse to convince yourself they are the best....lol
I hear people say this and I do not get it. Maybe I am just not finding the deals out there, on these much less expensive other brands. From what I have seen Cabs are not that much more expensive or even comparable. Maybe a 10% more than some brands, but the quality tends to be better than most. There are other brands as expensive or more. Cabrihnas also seem to be very easy to get on deal. Now that the 2016s are out there are plenty of 2015s on the internet at 20-30% off. So what are these much less expensive brands that I am missing? I have Cabs and some other brands and never felt screwed for paying a little more for the Cabs. I normally buy last years stuff and therefore find them to be no more. I ride mainly smaller kites (no light wind gear) so maybe there is more price difference in these larger sizes that I am not aware of.
Okay so here is two brand new kites
Cab FX 9m $1339 USD
http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2016-cab ... ding-kite/
Epic 5G Renegade 9m $1199 USD
http://store.epickiteskiteboarding.com/ ... enegade-5g
$140 savings... but the Renegade price includes the pump and a spare set of 18m lines, Cab wants another $49 for the pump so really over $200 in savings.
As far as quality and durability goes, I would put Epics quality and durability against any brand any day.

Buying year old overstock kites is fine if you intend to keep them forever but try and sell it after a season and you will quickly find out the market is flooded with guys selling it for much less then you think it is worth...
I've gone through all this, never again.

skullcandy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Powered Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 8m/10m/12m
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby skullcandy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:59 pm

SSK wrote:Buying year old overstock kites is fine if you intend to keep them forever but try and sell it after a season and you will quickly find out the market is flooded with guys selling it for much less then you think it is worth...
I've gone through all this, never again.
Whats worked well for me is I buy fresh new stuff right when it comes out for about 15-20% off retail (the local shop I work with is smart - he knows its stupid to try and make margins on kite gear as his shop is more focused on other action sports - so he hooks up the local guys). I use it for about 6-8 months (10-15 sessions on each kite in quiver) then sell it. I post multiple adds all over the place - each item a la carte and bundled. Stay patient until it sells - offer free shipping (I eat the cost) and in the end I usually end up paying $250-$500 to "rent" a brand new quiver of gear for 6 months. (3 kites + 2 bars usually)

Its kinda like leasing a new car and keeping the miles low... there is def an attractive market for new model year kites used a handful of times. But as you state, once you get past the 12-15 month mark the price starts to drop significantly. Timing is key along with willingness to put in the sales marketing effort and then pack n ship.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Salvo
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby SSK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:53 pm

@Laughingman
I think there is a little more math to it.

Assuming it was a new Cab and epic and I kept them a year. (Lets say a switchblade and not the FX because I do not think they have a lot of appeal) I would have paid 200 more in for the Cab as you say, but I am sure the resale on the Cab will be more and easier to move. The Epics are fine kites, but that is just the market and market share. Probably would make the 200 back no problem.
Buying year old overstock kites is fine if you intend to keep them forever but try and sell it after a season and you will quickly find out the market is flooded with guys selling it for much less then you think it is worth...
The market is flooded with last years kites too and they depreciate faster. I know that a brand new kite flown once is worth the next day about 30% less than what you paid for it. So no expectation there, but the rate of decrease slows down. If right now I buy the just released 2016 or a unused 2015 the math would be something like this

2016:
Pay 2,000
Sell next year maybe 1,200
Loss: 800

2015:
Pay 1600
Sell next year 950
loss: 650

Last years cost me less and I lose less.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm fascinated by people who feel the need to replace their kites every year. This is unquestionably an expensive habit. Buying 3 new kites a year & losing $650 - $800 depreciation on each kite amounts to around $10,000 - $12,000 over a 5 year period.

I will generally buy year old to one & a half year old kites - sometimes new, sometimes lightly used - for anything from $350 - $650. I will use them for 3 - 5 years & then replace, by which time there might actually be a significant improvement in kite performance. Using the same kite for a while allows you to develop a good feel for the kite. There have been some genuine design breakthroughs over the years, but mostly it's just a bunch of hype & different graphics. I have twice had the experience of replacing an older kite with a new "improved" version & finding the new version to be significantly inferior, in spite of fancier graphics, materials, finish, kite bag etc. :roll:

greginkw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:41 pm

I do work for a kite shop and will say that as a kite shop we also look for the best customer service from the brands we carry, we also try and carry what we believe are the best brands on the market. This does not mean that some other brands are not good or that one of the brands that we carry will not have issues. We have dropped certain brands in the past due to constant problems with the manufacturing on their products and also a lack of reliability and customer service from others.

Just like our customers expect good service from us, we expect the same from our suppliers. This makes a huge impact on who we will support and deal with!

Regards
Greg Meintjes

Return to “Kitesurfing”